Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I going a little crazy??

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM
  • 40 Replies

We just recently adopted a puppy and I'm doing all this research on dog foods. I never had a large breed dog (Lab mix), and I never had this breed. So I started researching what brands were best for large breed dogs and I found all this stuff about AaFFCO Nutrient guides. I told him what all I found and he is talking about how they (dog brands) can say that they are healthy if they are doing the min of the AAFFCO guides

Am I over thinking this dog stuff? I did the same research on crates/kennels and about the breed before we ever adopted her. I even went and researched about what breeds would be good with kids.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nngmommy83
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:50 PM
Good luck! I don't have any pets
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:21 PM

No, I think it's important to feed animals good food. Is Purina okay? Sure it feeds the dog, but it's like eating ramen everyday, it's not the best choice or even a particularly good one. But if it's that or nothing obviously it's better than nothing.

I don't know what AAFFCO is... and googling it took me to a website that reeked of bullshit so I can't help there. I like Merrick. My cats eat Merrick Purrfect Bistro, it's grain free, and I can pronounce everything in it, that's important to me.

BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:35 PM
This

Quoting nngmommy83: Good luck! I don't have any pets
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Good luck...Just like kids, you try to do what you feel is best for them... 

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I think your doing the right thing

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:40 PM
I don't have pets right now, but when I did it wasn't a huge issues for me to do a ton of research. Not saying your are or are not over thinking.
suziejax
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I do not have a dog now but have in the past. Food does matter to their over all health. If you feed them bad cheap o foods they WILL pop a lot more no joke!

IncognitoOne
by Angela on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Food does matter, but you also can't buy what you can't afford. If $50 a bag is too much for you, drop down a grade.

Diesel eats Iams, I know it's not the best, it's not the worst either, but other brands gave him diarrhea so bad.

JRSMOM0621
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM
Yeah there is no way I am paying more for dog food than I pay for formula lol I figured I would see what she is already eating so I am not having to clean up more poop than I already am

Quoting IncognitoOne:

Food does matter, but you also can't buy what you can't afford. If $50 a bag is too much for you, drop down a grade.

Diesel eats Iams, I know it's not the best, it's not the worst either, but other brands gave him diarrhea so bad.

JRSMOM0621
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Oh yeah that I remember with my cat..... Never again will I do that lol

Quoting suziejax:

I do not have a dog now but have in the past. Food does matter to their over all health. If you feed them bad cheap o foods they WILL pop a lot more no joke!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN