Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

energy saving curtains

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:57 AM
  • 5 Replies

so we recently bought 2 for my room and kids room. its suppose to block light so its cooler.. its not working. what are your experiences? its too hot for the ac to work well. i have a fan in my room but its still too hot. i think the brand is eclipse kids or energy kids or something else.

https://m.facebook.com/mommyneedschocolate07
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:48 AM
I got mine from Bed, Bath & Beyond and no they don't block as much light as I would like but the rooms are cooler compared to the rooms without them.
mamalynnsmith
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:59 AM

My thermal curtins came from jcpenny. They help to keep the heat and cold out .is it a huge difference no but it does cut the cost. Also over time you will notice the difference not right away. I have had mine for 7or8 years and they do help especially in the winter. Can you line them or put up a second set. Also you need them shut all the time .

RandiBear
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 6:07 AM

I have the same ones as you do. My electric bill is, on average, $20-30 cheaper than before I got them. You also have to leave them closed during the day during the summer and at night during the winter for them to be effective. In the summer, run your AC cold at night to help keep it cool during the day. It also depends on where you live as to how effective they will be. They don't block all the light, but it makes a huge difference for us. It also helps if you can tack the sides down against the wall so you have less heat/cool slipping around the curtain.

Mygirl30248
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:16 AM

I don't have them but SO does at his house. He loves them. He worked over nights & bought them then, but more to block the sun rather then keep warmth in. But they do block the sun out very well, he got black ones. I believe they are eclipse as well. I think they keep the heat in rather then out though. I think they are meant to keep house warm rather then cool is the thing though, so even though they block the sun they still keep in the warmth. 

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Aug. 3, 2014 at 7:48 PM
I have eclipse. We bought them to block light when my husband was working nights. There are still gaps from the way they hang so we tried using blinds along with then and then finally he got Velcro to stick the curtain to the wall. Our experience wasn't that the curtain didn't work but that it isn't a perfect fit. We still have ours hanging and even without the Velcro they do a decent job.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)