Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when the school keeps lying?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM
  • 16 Replies

A few years ago, they shut down our elementary school, along with 2 others saying it would be cheaper and more beneficial to the students to keep them all in one building. So they added on to the intermediate school and closed three buildings and started busing all the kids to the main elementary school. This past year, knowing that they were again over budget, decided to go from busing all the kids at once to a two tier busing system. Many parents, including myself were not thrilled by the idea.

They promised us that no child would be on the bus longer than 30 minutes one way. Today I called to find out pick up times since the kids start in 2 weeks and we haven't heard. They get picked up 61 minutes before school starts and will be on the bus an estimated 46 minutes. I questioned the transportation guy about it and he said that they never said that, they always said it would be no longer than 60 minutes one way.

My gut instict is to pack up and move (as if it were that simple, lol) and either move closer to the schools (they're all within a couple of blocks of each other) or move to a new school district.

Really I'd like to just force the district and the board to stop lying to us. Perhaps, I should run for school board this next time?

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Good luck!

our school system kept cutting and cutting and cutting.  Each year it affected our dd more.  We finally had enough and pulled dd out and sent her to a private school.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:39 PM

No idea. Maybe get a group of parents together for a meeting with the school board?

momofnatalie
by Lisa on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:59 AM

That is horrible!  The school's word is only good for the year that it was stated.  The change in administration, budgets, and politics all come in play.  I worked for the public school system and saw huge amounts of money spent on reading programs and then two years later, they would switch.  They barely spent all this money training the teachers and then they turn right around and order new books, new trainings etc.  It drives me batty.  I think you should run, if you have the stomach for it.  I know that those meetings can get so crazy at times. 

lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:14 AM

My kids have been on buses for almost an hour one way before...I did it as well...Good Luck and maybe you should run...

Moms_Angels1960
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say go to a school board meeting they are open to the public and voice your concerns there. Mostly everything having to do with schools are all about money.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I wish you luck.  Our city has gone to 1 school for kindergarteners, 1 for grades p-3, one for 4 and 5, a middle school for 6-8 and a highschool for 9-12.  City wide they all go to the same schools but, I like it d/t the fact that coming from the same school they never feel like the new kid and the bus rides aren't as long as yours.

AubreyRed
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you considered Home-educating?

Works for us!

kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:01 PM

you can go the school board meeting, take all the other parents with you. however  we have always had to deal with long bus rides.

campingmomof4
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Run for the school board.   Go to the meetings.   Get a group of parents together that feel the same way you do.  Fight the schoolboard.  Only way to fight them. 

funhappymom
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:25 PM

This is the first year for this new busing, so it was suppose to be for this year that the half hour ride was for.

Quoting momofnatalie:

That is horrible!  The school's word is only good for the year that it was stated.  The change in administration, budgets, and politics all come in play.  I worked for the public school system and saw huge amounts of money spent on reading programs and then two years later, they would switch.  They barely spent all this money training the teachers and then they turn right around and order new books, new trainings etc.  It drives me batty.  I think you should run, if you have the stomach for it.  I know that those meetings can get so crazy at times. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN