Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I planted basil, now what?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 11 Replies

I planted basil in a pot.  It has grown nicely.  Now what do I need to do to it?  This is the first time I have planted any herbs.  Do I dry it or use it fresh?  Any suggestions on how to cook with it?

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saphira1207
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

O.o

Basil can be used dry or fresh.  Fresh will have greater intensity so you'd use less of it than dried. Also it tastes much better fresh than dried.

You use it on anything you want to.  It's usually in pasta sauces, and I put it on and/or in almost everything I cook.  Except tuna and noodles.  I don't use it in that. 

Same with all of the Italian seasonings.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 12:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Pesto.  Equal parts basil, pine nuts and parm or Romano cheese.  Add a little olive oil and blend the heck out of it.  Great on pasta or garlic bread.  

Jukebox_Jenny
by Jenny on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Fresh finely chopped on top of tomatoes and mozzarella...mmm. One of my favorite salads.
Jennyanne322
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
This. You can also put pesto into an ice cube tray and freeze it for the future. Pop the ice cubes out and place in ziplock bags and write the date and what it is. Take out and toss into pasta as needed. Tastes good on grilled chicken as well.

Quoting chicken13:

Pesto.  Equal parts basil, pine nuts and parm or Romano cheese.  Add a little olive oil and blend the heck out of it.  Great on pasta or garlic bread.  

MCA23
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this

And be sure you keep cutting it down, don't let it go so long that little flower buds start to develop and the stems get woody.  Makes the leaves tough and bitter.

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this
This :)

Quoting Saphira1207:

O.o

Basil can be used dry or fresh.  Fresh will have greater intensity so you'd use less of it than dried. Also it tastes much better fresh than dried.

You use it on anything you want to.  It's usually in pasta sauces, and I put it on and/or in almost everything I cook.  Except tuna and noodles.  I don't use it in that. 

Same with all of the Italian seasonings.

Beenthere3times
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You can freeze it whole and use it in cooking, or look up some recipes on basil pesto, then you can freeze it in ice cube trays, after it's frozen pop them all into freezer bags and take out as needed.

bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I am going to try this.  It will be great to use this winter.

Quoting Jennyanne322: This. You can also put pesto into an ice cube tray and freeze it for the future. Pop the ice cubes out and place in ziplock bags and write the date and what it is. Take out and toss into pasta as needed. Tastes good on grilled chicken as well.
Quoting chicken13:

brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Fresh basil,olive oil,tomato's and mozzarella cheese I add a pinch of salt.

goldpandora
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM

ALWAYS use basil fresh (fresh is always best, frozen or in oil (i.e. make your own pesto sauce). It is one of the very few herbs that completely loses its fragrance when dried. If you're putting it into a sauce, add it at the very end. Cooking tends to kill its flavour too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)