Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update on my Husband

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 36 Replies

Ok I am so sorry I fell off the map but things got impossibly hard due to hospital error. Well one idiot doctor.

So he went in on Tuesday of last week. He was in for 10 days total. When he first went in with a severe headache and inability to walk they were paniced that it was first meningitis and then they were thinking it was a brain bleed. Two huge things. They treated him for both. So they did CAT scans and MRI's. There were five CAT's and six MRI's. They gave him meningitis meds and did a spinal tap. The doctor who did the tap said flat out that she was worried because he is very tall and broad. She said she wasn't sure she could do it and wanted to get the anesthesia tech to do it since it's essentially an epidural in reverse. I agreed since I was legally in charge now.

I got left in the family room sobbing and calling my family. Then a patient advocate comes in and tells me that the first spinal tap failed and NOW they are bringing in anesthesia to do it. I asked who did this one and they said it was the doctor who told me she COULDN'T do it. What the hell. For the second tap I could hear him screaming his lungs out. They got the fluid and the CDC rep went through it and said there was no meningitis.

When I got back by his side he was vomiting and his freaking out. I demanded a different doctor and the hospitalist came in. They realized the first spinal tap went horribly horribly wrong. Then they start checking his legs and whispering and giving each other looks. I'm panicing. He couldn't feel his legs. They said that the next 24 hours were critical for his spine. What the hell !!!! So 14 hours go by and he suddenly begins screaming and curls up his legs. The nurse came running in and demanded to know if I moved his legs. I said no and she hit the red light for critical and began demanding that he move on his own. His legs moved ! The doctors came in and began clapping and jump around. One man grabbed me and said it was official he wasn't paralyzed. Yeah I threw up. On him. Poor guy but he was nice about it and got new scrubs from the laundry.

They said he had nerve damage which happens to 2% of patients. They then began treating that as a critical condition that it is and ruled out the brain bleed as well. He was put in a dark room flat on his back with ear plugs. After several days and more tests he finally could sit up and communicate with the doctors.

He could sent home todya with his meds and a caffeine routine to maintain to help with the severe headaches from the puncture. He is now being evaluated for lupus and has to have another MRI in a month to see if there is permanent damage from the screw up. He's weak and needs help bathing, getting up from the toilet, and going up and down the stairs. It's sad but I know he's going to get better. We are hoping its not lupus because that is a lifelong condition. Fingers crossed.

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hapababies
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Wow, good luck with his recovery. That's rough when a medical professional screws up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Good to read an update. I hope his recovery goes well. (hugs)

BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Praying his recovery goes fast. Hang in there.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Fingers definately crossed!!  Hang in there. 

Mznaye
by Jo on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Thanks for the update
Mznaye
by Jo on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Hugs to you
ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM

So what do they say was his original problem (prior to them creating more)?  Has he ever taken Cipro or Levaquin?  As in the past year or so?  There is a delayed reaction to both of those antibiotics that can cause you to not be able to walk  or walk without pain, along with a million other things like pins and needle type pains, stabbing pains, brain fog, head aches, ringing in the ears and on and on....

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Praying for him! I always say there's nothing like a hospital to kill ya, sucks but they sometimes do more harm than good!  Really hope he recovers soon! Scary stuff!

Rust.n.Gears
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Thanks. He never took those. They think its lupus which is genetic for him.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

So what do they say was his original problem (prior to them creating more)?  Has he ever taken Cipro or Levaquin?  As in the past year or so?  There is a delayed reaction to both of those antibiotics that can cause you to not be able to walk  or walk without pain, along with a million other things like pins and needle type pains, stabbing pains, brain fog, head aches, ringing in the ears and on and on....

Charizma77
by Carissa on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Hugs! Thanks for the update. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)