Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Name Pet Peeve

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM
  • 15 Replies

Does anyone have a name that people always shorter or change and does it drive you crazy? My name in Angela. That is what is say's on my office door, my drivers license, my birth certificate and every document/e-mail etc, that I have my name on. I can not stand being called Angie.... why do people assume that when I introduce myself as Angela that I want to be called Angie? Like if someone says James...do you automatically assume they want to be called Jim? Do you or your kids names have this issue?

by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
macawoogo
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

i have the opposite problem. my name is judy and people assume its judith. it is judy on birth certificate

mumsy2three
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:09 PM

My name can't really be shortened. My dd's name is Alysha. Her friends call her Aly. I planned on calling her Aly too but when she was born she just didn't look like an Aly so we've always used her given name. Still do, we never call her Aly. My oldest son's name is Gabriel, we call him Gabe. Our youngest son is Liam, we don't shorten his name.

BeachLifeMama
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine has nothing to do with my name, but I don't like when people calls me "shortie" just because I'm 5'1.
ambcortez
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:32 AM

My nickname prevents people from realizing it's not my actual name, as I didn't choose the traditional nickname, so I don't really worry about it.

My Dh is Zachary, but goes by Zac, and people always spell it Zach or Zack. It's just Zac.

PogoPalOj
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Yep, I don't like people calling me Jenny until I get to know them better.  Until then, Jennifer will do! grrrr

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM
My fil gets so ticked when people shorten his boys' names. They don't mind though.

I just can't stand when people call me jan.
eyegal2020
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I don't mind my name being shortened. But my brother in law's name is Michael and he goes nuts when people call him Mike.

angieluvsolivia
by Angie on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My name is also Angela but, everyone that is close to me calls me Angie, since I was little so, I don't mind.  However most people call me Angela until I ask them to call me Angie.  My kids are Olivia ( which some call her Livie or Liv) and Devin (which usually isn't shortened) and I don't mind.  I do understand the frustration though.

pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM

My ods's name is Samuel and I hate it when people call him Sammy.

mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever someone introduces themselves as, is what I call them. I think it's rude to shorten someone's name if they haven't introduced themselves that way or stated "My name is _____, but I go by _____" although that would be odd, I don't need your life story I just need to know what to call you. LOL. 

I use a nickname, my kids do too, BUT we introduce ourselves that way.

Just don't respond if someone is calling you the wrong name. You wouldn't reply if someone was calling you Janet right? If Angie isn't your name, don't respond to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)