Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should the punishment be?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  • 9 Replies
My son is 9, today while my husband and I were running errands, he stayed home with my mom. She asked him to let our our dog, the dog didn't want to go out so he went chasing after him. He left the door wide open, which I just gave him a lecture about the other day that you can't do that because the cats could get out. Well hubs and I came home and my husband kept hearing a cat crying. He finally went to go to the basement and noticed our one cat screaming on the back porch. He let her in and not 30 seconds later my 18 year old cat came up to the door too. I am pissed. Told DS there would be a punishment but I haven't thought of it yet. So frustrated I contemplated making him pay for doses of frontline to prevent fleas, hubs said DS doesn't grasp concept of money enough, plus 2 doses is like $30..
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
virginiamama71
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:01 PM

I wouldn't punish him cause I think it was just an accident. And would continue to work with him on caring for the pets.

Tigress22304
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree-this ONE time is an accident.

What we did with our dog-was leash him first-then walk him out the door (we didnt have cats-just a baby on the loose lol)

and that worked.

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:32 PM

we have this rule with our dog too. My son learned quick how important it was to leash inside with the door closed.

Quoting Tigress22304:

What we did with our dog-was leash him first-then walk him out the door (we didnt have cats-just a baby on the loose lol)

and that worked.

Tigress22304
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Our back yard was fenced in-but he had a habit of running full force out the backdoor and knocking anybody over (doberman) to get to the yard to look for anything out of place (such as cats or squirrels or anyone walking down the street lol)

But he learned when he is on the leash-he's to stay with whomever is walking him

Quoting virginiamama71:

we have this rule with our dog too. My son learned quick how important it was to leash inside with the door closed.

Quoting Tigress22304:

and that worked.

virginiamama71
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

oh no...lol

Quoting Tigress22304:

Our back yard was fenced in-but he had a habit of running full force out the backdoor and knocking anybody over (doberman) to get to the yard to look for anything out of place (such as cats or squirrels or anyone walking down the street lol)

But he learned when he is on the leash-he's to stay with whomever is walking him

Quoting virginiamama71:

Quoting Tigress22304:

and that worked.

suroundedbyboys
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Usually the puppy runs straight outside but my mom and kids had a tendency to leave him out too long when were not home. Apparently he had just come in a few minutes ago bit bc the kids had left stuff on the floor he was being a terror :/

Quoting Tigress22304:

and that worked.

angieluvsolivia
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I would let this one go as an accident but, prepare him in the future for the punishment that will be put in place.

NeonGirl9583
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Take away tv or videogames???
mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:31 PM

If you've lectured him about this before (leaving the door open) I think loss of a privilege for a few days is appropriate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)