Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

? for you lovely ladies!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

as some of you may recall my almost 11yr old had her first period last november.  all & all it hasn't been too bad for her.  thankfully she doesn't seem to be cursed with extra heavy periods like my mom & some of my sisters had.  she never had cramps until the last two months.  last month i didn't realize she had cramps.  she complained about her stomach hurting for about a day & a 1/2 but i didn't realize her period had started.  yesterday she was complaining about her stomach hurting and she mentioned she had just started her period so i got her to clarify where the pain was & clued her into the difference between stomach pains & menstrual cramps.

anyways my question is this, do you think it would be ok to give her pamprin for her cramps?  the label for pamprin, motrin & the off brands all say 12+.  while my daughter will only be 11 in a few days she's over 100lbs.  it seems that, so far at least, the cramps only last about a day-day & a half.  yesterday i gave her some ibuprofen (about 1/2 the recommended dose for her) & it worked so she probably wouldn't take much of the pamprin on the days she does need it.  i hate giving the kids pain meds that have fever reducers when they have no fever so i'd really like to give her pamprin or such when she has cramps.

i'm going to call her dr tomorrow & ask her advice but i thought i'd get the advice of you wise cm mamas.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I'm not a doctor...so my advice is worthless.

I'd happily give my daughter a pamprin is she was 11, weighed 100 lbs and was experiencing cramps.  There is no magic day when they turn 12 and suddenly medications are all safe.  They have to choose a date to put on the bottle.  That's it.  

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:39 PM

well allot say 12+ due to child's size & such also.  the ingredients in pamprin aren't anything more than she's had elsewhere so i don't really see an issue with it either.

Quoting chicken13:

I'd happily give my daughter a pamprin is she was 11, weighed 100 lbs and was experiencing cramps.  There is no magic day when they turn 12 and suddenly medications are all safe.  They have to choose a date to put on the bottle.  That's it.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:42 PM

The age is based on statistical size and weight while allowing for a substantial safety factor.

my boss was 5 ft tall and 100 lb soaking wet.  I'm sure she happily pops a pamprin when she has cramps too. 

Quoting lizzig:

well allot say 12+ due to child's size & such also.  the ingredients in pamprin aren't anything more than she's had elsewhere so i don't really see an issue with it either.

Quoting chicken13:

angieluvsolivia
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I would do it.  I think she'd be fine.

aubsmom09
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I think she would be just fine.

campingmomof4
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

My 22 yr old daughter doesn't weight  100 lbs.  She takes midol when she gets cramps.  

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I think it's ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)