Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 Most Annoying Things You Can Say to a Homeschooling Mom

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM
  • 16 Replies
3 moms liked this

8 Most Annoying Things You Can Say to a Homeschooling Mom

posted by Adriana Velez

homeschooling mom reading daughter

What's the best thing about homeschooling your kids? It's hard to say. Maybe it's the joy of watching your children learn in a creative, hands-on environment customized just for their learning style and interests. Nahhh, it's actually the stupid questions people ask you. A lot of people out there who know nothing about homeschooling sure to have some surprisingly strong opinions about it, right? Here's our favorite things you should never say to a homeschooling mom.

1. Are you, like, wicked religious? Okay, some parents choose to homeschool for religious reasons. But parents choose homeschooling for a whole range of reasons -- most often because they believe it's the best way to educate their kids. A lot of the time, homeschooling has nothing to do with religion.

2. I would never assume I was qualified enough to teach my child. Who says homeschooling parents do all the teaching by themselves? Homeschoolers aren't all spending six hours at home bent over books -- it's often more creative than that. There are communities that do lessons together, tutors you can hire. There's a whole range of resources.

3. Don't you want your kid to have any friends? It's homeschooling, not prison. Kids can still participate on soccer teams, take music lessons, join Girl Scouts, play at the park with the other children. And there's no guarantee kids will always make friends at their school. Ever heard of bullying?

4. How do you stand spending so much time with your kids? I could never spend so much time with my kids! First of all, homeschooled kids aren't necessarily spending all their time with their parents. Secondly... I'm sorry you don't like spending time with your kids.

5. I can't even get my kids to clean their rooms. How do you get your kids to do their school work? Um... sounds like someone needs to work on their parenting skills. 

6. Hey kid, what's the capital of Kansas? What's Pi? How do you measure the radius of a circle? Who was America's first president? How do you spell discombobulation? How many fingers am I holding up? Um, thanks for those "gotcha!" questions. It's true. We just sit around all day doing macrame and singing folk songs and now my kids know nothing. Your brilliant quizzing scheme exposed us. Here's my phone so you can call CPS.

7. Good luck getting your kid into college. Yeah... don't think that's going to be a problem. Your kid, on the other hand...

8. And best of all: WHAT ABOUT SOCIALIZATION? So, what about it? Like the whole amazing world we explore isn't enough for my kid, he has to spend six hours a day inside a room with 35 other children every day or he'll grow up a mushroom.

What are the most annoying things you've heard people say about homeschooling?

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:04 PM

LOL  Love these!  yes, I've heard most of them.

The most annoying was when the PE teacher asked me what made me think I could teach high school algebra?  After all, he said, it's more than just putting a book in front of them and expecting them to learn.  Okay, Joe.....I got straight As in COLLEGE LEVEL algebra, along with an A in college level calculus.  I don't think introductory high school algebra will be a problem...

He shut up then.

ablackdolphin
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

The social thing is a big joke.  DH & I always think it's so funny that our 4.5 and 2.5 yr old introduce themselves, tell their names, etc and so many other schooled kids just give them blanks stares.  They're not very friendly, it's so funny that HS'd kids get the unsocial lable but we see the opposite.  All the HS kids we know are really outgoing!

mem82
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I love when people say something along the lines of 'I can't get them to clean their rooms.' I mean, come on. What is the proper response to someone admitting they can't parent their child?
mem82
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM
I despise parents that talk about how they can't stand their kids for long periods of time.
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mem82: I despise parents that talk about how they can't stand their kids for long periods of time.

I read this article and thought it VERY good!

http://www.sistersraisingsisters.com/please-do-not-be-this-mother/

Flaca43
by Ruby Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:29 AM
I don't homeschool my children, but I think this is a great article!
mem82
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I did enjoy that. It's a good reminder that our kids have just as many and just as valid feelings as adults.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting mem82: I despise parents that talk about how they can't stand their kids for long periods of time.

I read this article and thought it VERY good!

http://www.sistersraisingsisters.com/please-do-not-be-this-mother/

suroundedbyboys
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:10 AM
I agree with everything, as I have tossed around the idea of home schooling quite a bit but hubs is definitely against it. I am not opposed to it and I think it is great to for those who do it but at the same time I do have the concern of not having the teaching background. That said I come from a family of teachers, my aunt and uncle are both teachers (though they've retire now). My aunt put so much into her lesson plans. She taught all 4 levels of high school French. We did projects, sang songs, she made all her own tests and even different tests for each class of French 1.

So I have a valid understanding of knowing I don't have the teaching background. I also think it is important for kids to learn to cooperate and do projects and stuff with kids they don't consider friends. I don't think they get the same social interaction- different from socialization. If I home schooled my kids would still get plenty of socialization, we do gymnastics, MMA, swim lessons and scouts. I think scouts is definitely a positive for homeschoolers, it gets them in a different environment and gives them the social interaction working with other kids- different from sports.
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a business degree and business background.  I would need to take only 6 more classes to get a teaching degree.  The classes are on subjects like Early Childhood Education, Child Psychology, Working with Learning Disabilities, etc.  Most of the things I would have to study are things I've already experienced in depth as a parent.

Every curriculum, every subject has a Teacher's Guide (just like the teachers have in schools.).  The Teacher's Guide has lesson plans, teaching points, and step-by-step instructions for how to carry out each lesson.  If I need help, I go to a couple of friends that are teachers and they will give pointers, but I rarely have to do that.

Teaching is more than teaching the material, IMO.  I want to teach my kids HOW to learn something, not just to learn it.  They are encouraged to explore various tools we have for learning, such as the internet, the library, and seeking out personal sources.  Last fall one of my teens was interested in the old railroad bed along one of our county roads.  So, I took that and ran with it:  we studied railroad history especially in our county, we found maps of the old railroad tracks and we tracked them.  We talked to people that actually rode the railroad.

Socialization?  Being able to work with kids they don't know/like?  That's a part of life.  Doesn't need to be experienced in a school.  Real life as an adult is completely different from the type of socialization in schools.  My first homeschooled graduate is now 25, works in a very public job in a bank (which actually sought HIM out for the job because of his people skills.)  He also builds/repairs computers and repairs cars on the side.  Right now he's building a camper from basic materials during his off hours.  My 17 yr old homeschooled teen is working at Walmart and is pretty popular among his co-workers.  I've also got a 16 year old homeschooled "nerd"  that would still be a nerd if he were in school, and my 14 yr old homeschooled DD is pretty popular and well-liked by anyone she meets, not just girls her age.  It's a bit of a problem around the teen males....but she'd have that in school, too.

I'm not being critical of your position, but just pointing out that homeschooling isn't just about teaching subjects or worrying about socialization.

Quoting suroundedbyboys: I agree with everything, as I have tossed around the idea of home schooling quite a bit but hubs is definitely against it. I am not opposed to it and I think it is great to for those who do it but at the same time I do have the concern of not having the teaching background. That said I come from a family of teachers, my aunt and uncle are both teachers (though they've retire now). My aunt put so much into her lesson plans. She taught all 4 levels of high school French. We did projects, sang songs, she made all her own tests and even different tests for each class of French 1. So I have a valid understanding of knowing I don't have the teaching background. I also think it is important for kids to learn to cooperate and do projects and stuff with kids they don't consider friends. I don't think they get the same social interaction- different from socialization. If I home schooled my kids would still get plenty of socialization, we do gymnastics, MMA, swim lessons and scouts. I think scouts is definitely a positive for homeschoolers, it gets them in a different environment and gives them the social interaction working with other kids- different from sports.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I havent really heard any

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)