Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Pre school home schooling!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM
  • 11 Replies

First off let me say that I have NEVER home schooled at all.. I mean I worked with my boys when they were younger, and I did not send them to pre school either. They went straight to Kindergarten.. Well these days a child really needs pre school to be able to make it in kindergarten... I got the run around about enrolling my Daughter in pre school and now both options I had are full. both schools I was looking into went off of income and scholarship options were available. I can not really afford to pay for private pre school either.

I remember seeing moms talk about home schooling their 3& 4 year olds, and I was just wondering if there were any free home schooling sites for pre school?

Any info and tips you can offer me would be greatly appreciatd.

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Homeschooling a 3 year old? Theyre still babies.
butzi
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Google toddler/preschool learning activities. For three and four year olds you just need to allow them to learn through play and fun interesting activities. Good luck and have fun. Enjoy this time with your child. :)
othermom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I have picked up a lot of work books at thrift stores and yard sales for all my kids. We also have the hooked on phonics kindergarten. My youngest will be 5 in October so can not kindergarten till next year here. We  tried to test her in early and she is accidemically ready for kindergarten but one week past the cut off date for early entery.

I do work books with her some, we have a sign up of all the alphabet, we work on letter sons and begining reading with the hooked on phonics, do crafts, bake together, play outside and count stuff you see, play board games, ect. 

I have two sets like these the math and a word one that i got at yard sales  http://www.educationaltoysplanet.com/288528.html

I also have these http://www.amazon.com/Now-Im-Reading-Flashcards-Consonant/dp/1601690754 another yard sale find that i am using with my 4 year old.

I only do short times each day focused on different thing and try to incorporate as much as I can in to every day things like when we play and stuff to make it fun, that is similar to what they would do in school. Also make sure to read to them

MamaJane
by Jane:) on Aug. 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM
I can give you a bunch.

Decide what order you want to do your letters in. There is a suggested order for letters. You can google that. We don't do it in that order per my boss :p I set my letter order and assign themes like A for apple and B for bees. I do one a week and one number. We do a worksheet every day with upper and lower case and the number. We have circle where we do days of the week, months of the year, count the days in the month, talk about weather. We do more but it wouldn't work for one kid. We look at the letter of the week and sing a song about the letter sound. We put a clothes pin on our line because we are counting to the 100th day. They are color coded in a patern and we put 10 of one color and then ten of another.

We do journal 2 days a week and the kids write/draw on some subject I give them. Normally about the theme or letter of the week.

I do 2 projects each week on the letter theme. Last year for p is for pumpkins we made paper mâché pumpkins.

I pick at least one science and math project for the week. Some themes have more than others. I is for ice had a science every day.

I add sensory into most weeks. I hide alphabet letters in beans or magnets in rice. It's endless.

I make little literacy things for them like file folder games. Look those up. Also look up alphabet review for preschool on Pinterest. I've done many of those on my own.

Also add lots of songs and finger plays. I make felt stories myself and the kids love them.
bether89
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Check out easy peasy homeschooling.   http://allinonehomeschool.com/

scapermom
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:13 PM

I used this site http://www.universalpreschool.com/how-to/teach/cognitive_development.asp

Also took out some Montessori method books from the library.

mem82
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Check out Confessions of a Homeschooler.
lizzig
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:00 PM

i "homeschooled" my daughter rather then sending her to pre-k.  the only reason i did it though was because i had had my son a week before school started & i didn't want her to feel like she was being shipped out now that i had a baby.

anyways, i really didn't do anything special.  i picked up workbooks from the dollar store.  i was lucky in that the one by me had a ton of great books for pre-school.  you can also check out teacher stores or online for workbooks.  we would work a bit everyday on those as well as with flash cards but it was nothing really structured.  she was very inquisitive & i'd go off that for lessons.  i'd feed her curiosity by finding fun activities/trips to help her learn.  we go to the nature center, hikes in the woods, exploring the historic areas of our town.  i'd also take advantage of the free activities & classes the library had for little ones.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)