Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you make pudding?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 23 Replies
My MIL is notorious for doing things for SIL's family but not our family. She always makes a big deal over SIL's kids bdays but area go by the wayside. Well our youngest dd and BIL share a bday. MIL told us to figure out what we are doing for DD's bday. Well we always do seperate family functions bc MIL doesn't like coming around my family. My family is always respectful and kind, but they most feel sorry for our situation with MIL being the ways she is.
Well we asked if MIL would make dinner for the birthdays and we would do the cakes (since she does dinner and cakes for everyone else). She said she would make Lasagna but nothing else. If we wanted and anything more we had to bring it. Fine we said we would make both cakes. Well I make a really yummy banana pudding that is rather labor intensive and expensive (heavy cream, special cookies, condensed milk), BIL loves it. So we said we would make him Banana pudding and a cake for dd. Well I texted SIL Friday to verify BIL if he wanted cake vs banana pudding or what. She said I'll check and let you know. Well we were at the store and grabbed the ingredients bc I figured that's what he'd want. Still had not heard back so I messaged her this am to verify. No response, so hubs messages his mom to ask if she knew which he wanted. Well she says since you were making pudding and a cake for dd I went ahead and made him a cake. Umm what? Hubs said no the pudding was for BIL not dd. She said well make it or not I made him a cake.
Now I'm pissed. She can't be bothered to make a cake for dd, but makes one for BIL. Hubs says we can go ahead and make the pudding, but I said that's silly to have 2 cakes and a huge pan of banana pudding for 6 kids and 6 adults it's a complete waste. Really I just don't want to go, I'm just irritated. Should I bother to make the pudding?
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM
I never thought of banana pudding as expensive or that labor intensive. LASAGNA is expensive and labor intensive. This whole thing seems pretty petty overall. Do something special as a family on your own.
mamadee1971
by Dionne on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:17 PM

Mmmmm!  I love banana pudding, especially when it's very cool and the "Nilla Wafers" are soft.

mom2bahandcch
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Make him the pudding. For him, not because mil is a bitch, but because HE likes it.

and im sure its not a waste. Someone can eat it.
mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think I'd even bother going. I would not tolerate how that woman treats your kids. I don't allow my kids to be treated like second class citizens and if someone tries they quickly find themselves cut out of my life. To hell with that.

mom2jessnky
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I think Lasagna is dirt cheap to make...

Quoting MixedCooke: I never thought of banana pudding as expensive or that labor intensive. LASAGNA is expensive and labor intensive. This whole thing seems pretty petty overall. Do something special as a family on your own.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:08 PM

make a small thing of pudding for your bil as his gift.  just 1/2 or even 1/4 the recipe.  the only sweet my brother likes is cheesecake.  for his birthday i got him a little cheesecake & had a big cookie cake for everyone else (we had a mass birthday party this summer when i was visiting my family since my kids never get to celebrate anything with them)

if i had your family issues i'd simple have a party for my child at my house & invite everyone.  if everyone came great, if not it's there loss!

suroundedbyboys
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM
It's made with homemade whip cream (heavy cream), cookies that cost about $8, total with everything it probably cost about $16 to make. Cake is maybe $4 to make from scratch.

Quoting MixedCooke: I never thought of banana pudding as expensive or that labor intensive. LASAGNA is expensive and labor intensive. This whole thing seems pretty petty overall. Do something special as a family on your own.
choaspartyof4
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM
What kind of cookies?

Quoting suroundedbyboys: It's made with homemade whip cream (heavy cream), cookies that cost about $8, total with everything it probably cost about $16 to make. Cake is maybe $4 to make from scratch.

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM

I don't think I could go but you probably want to keep the peace and I can't blame you on that one.  Your kids will realize the way your family is treated compared to SIL's family soon enough if they haven't already.  I wouldn't want to put my kids through that but that's just me and I'm fast to cut people out if they are toxic in any way.  Maybe SIL and BIL are great family and you can do things with them separately.

Anyway, if you go ahead and go then I'd still make a batch since you know he really likes it.  You don't have to make the entire batch.  You aren't making it for MIL so I say make it.  Maybe just make it for him and he can take it home after the party. 

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM

And do you realize that the cheese alone to make lasagna is more than $8??  Again, it is still petty.  it isnt about your MIL it is your BIL's birthday.  It is also FAMILY!  You are talking about a simple dessert period.  What cookies are you using since banana pudding is typically made with vanilla cookies and really heavy cream is oh so expensive?!

Quoting suroundedbyboys: It's made with homemade whip cream (heavy cream), cookies that cost about $8, total with everything it probably cost about $16 to make. Cake is maybe $4 to make from scratch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN