Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Private vs. Public

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:22 AM
  • 21 Replies
At dinner with hubs family last night asked what teacher niece had? Her mom said oh she is going to *name of private school. She had gone there for a year of preschool and kindergarten. Then switched to public for first grade. So I was like oh, really, why is she going back? SIL went off about what a waste public school is and how she has a child that actually likes to learn. On and on.
I didn't really say much just oh, okay. Well it kind of irked me because she was saying all the kids in public schools are brats, etc. my kids go to the school she was ranting about. My kids do fine, have good test scores etc. I really wanted to comment that I guess if someone would pay for my kids to go they would go to private school too, but I bit my tongue. I later asked hubs if he thought his parents would pay for our kids for private school and he said no they are already paying for one. He feels his sister is being a snobby b*tch about it. However, it did bug me a bit.
So do you send your kids to private or public? There is no way I could afford to send our kids to private, plus all their friends and cousins (on my side) go to the same school.
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommaCyn296
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

For me, it doesn't matter where you send your child(ren). It is all about your involvement in their education. A child should be able to go to any school and succeed! IJS

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:07 AM

My kids are at public school

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Our public schools are great and I love my son's school.

kthruz143
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:21 AM
My kids go to private school only because we live in a city where I would never send my kids to public. They are really shitty. Dd is going into first grade this year and reads at a 6th grade reading level. At our public she would barely be reading at all
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:32 AM
My kids are at public school. Our school is very highly rated and the teachers are all amazing!

Sometimes private schools aren't better than public. Of course, I'm also a firm believer in the fact that your attitude makes an experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lyrick24
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM

public school. we couldnt afford private.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:47 AM

We started sending dd to a private school last year.  

Her public school was unable to provide classes at her level for the 3rd year in a row.  We were tired of sending her to "school" all day to help fix computers and update web pages, so that she could come home and take her "real" classes online.  It was like 8 hrs of wasted time a day.  

Im sure some public schools are excellent.  But ours was not.  And no amount of parental involvement was going to fix it's issues.  We tried and it didn't work.  

In general, I hate broad sweeping statements...."all" or "none"....there are plenty of private schools that suck too.

Mommabearbergh
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:53 AM
My daughtea public school is awesome because parents are involved
mem82
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
We homeschool. I do think your sister in law was being rude.
gracie0221
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

We can afford private, but the public school my dd goes to is a good school and she likes it, so no point in wasting money and sending her to private

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)