Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ice water challenge for als

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM
  • 15 Replies

How about one for alzehimers?

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:39 PM

How about one for POTS or diabeties, cancer or brain tumors?

I think the entire thing is absurd and frankly annoying. Very happy ALS is finally getting support, donations and attention but it got old FAST

Tigress22304
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 4:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quite honestly ALL diseases deserve awareness-the problem is-not many think of it until it happens to them!

I do donate for Alzheimer's for my maternal great grandmother...I donate to cancer for my dad/uncles/grandfathers....March of Dimes for my cousin Amanda..Shriners/Autism Speaks for my daughter.

Hopefully all these diseases get the awareness they all deserve!

LoriAnn87
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:55 PM

There was something going around call the cold water changlle it's like the bucket changlle but the only different you donate to the charity of your choose and friends do the same when they are nomaited.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quite honestly ALL diseases deserve awareness-the problem is-not many think of it until it happens to them!

I do donate for Alzheimer's for my maternal great grandmother...I donate to cancer for my dad/uncles/grandfathers....March of Dimes for my cousin Amanda..Shriners/Autism Speaks for my daughter.

Im so sorry about your great grandmother.Alzheimers is such a horrible disease and to watcxh your love done go through it is  horrendous

Tigress22304
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM

You and me both....I loved when she regressed...because she remembered growing up during the great depression...meeting her husband-getting married-building their marital home together...the stories were just amazing...but at the same time it was heartbreaking because she didn't remember who her kids were...or her grandkids..she thought her eldest son was her 1st husband...it was bittersweet...I wish she didn't suffer the way she did.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Tigress22304:

Im so sorry about your great grandmother.Alzheimers is such a horrible disease and to watcxh your love done go through it is  horrendous

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Quoting Tigress22304:

You and me both....I loved when she regressed...because she remembered growing up during the great depression...meeting her husband-getting married-building their marital home together...the stories were just amazing...but at the same time it was heartbreaking because she didn't remember who her kids were...or her grandkids..she thought her eldest son was her 1st husband...it was bittersweet...I wish she didn't suffer the way she did.

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Tigress22304:

I lost my Parents and a great aunt all to it. My Mom just 2 years ago. Makes me so angry at the disease.I hated seeing her so scared and like a little child.Still breaks my heart.She watched my Dad get it and die form it and said she hoped she never got it. Im still so angry

Tigress22304
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Tigress22304:

I lost my Parents and a great aunt all to it. My Mom just 2 years ago. Makes me so angry at the disease.I hated seeing her so scared and like a little child.Still breaks my heart.She watched my Dad get it and die form it and said she hoped she never got it. Im still so angry

We had really feared my grandmother was going to go through the same ordeal...and that would have killed me...because I know what SHE went through-loosing her mother...going through all that she did...I know I couldn't handle it...I really wish some of this didn't exist..I've lost 4 family members in the last 2 years..I've had enough.

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting momofsixangels:

Quoting Tigress22304:

We had really feared my grandmother was going to go through the same ordeal...and that would have killed me...because I know what SHE went through-loosing her mother...going through all that she did...I know I couldn't handle it...I really wish some of this didn't exist..I've lost 4 family members in the last 2 years..I've had enough.

I have garage sales and raise money to help find a cure.

LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM
2 moms liked this
As I understand it, until this campaign ALS was among the most UNDERfunded research programs. Diabetes has a hige bankroll, asdo other diseases that are far far far more common than ALS. From what I heard in one video from a guy whose mother and grandmother have it (and he was just diagnosed with it), there are not eniugh cases to make it profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to really care about it.

And frankly, if you want to start a challenge for another disease, do it. A friend of mine runs a charity for childhood leukemia awareness and he started a challeenge of his own. I dpubt it will take off like the ALS one did because it involves more effort b it still, he did not bemoan the ALS challenge nor does he begrudge them a single cent raised - instead he followed their lead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM

This is what my sd did to help raise money for autism awareness for my daughter and again for MS when a teacher from my daughter's school (and a dear family friend who's been involved with our family for YEARS before I was even born) was diagnosed.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: As I understand it, until this campaign ALS was among the most UNDERfunded research programs. Diabetes has a hige bankroll, asdo other diseases that are far far far more common than ALS. From what I heard in one video from a guy whose mother and grandmother have it (and he was just diagnosed with it), there are not eniugh cases to make it profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to really care about it. And frankly, if you want to start a challenge for another disease, do it. A friend of mine runs a charity for childhood leukemia awareness and he started a challeenge of his own. I dpubt it will take off like the ALS one did because it involves more effort b it still, he did not bemoan the ALS challenge nor does he begrudge them a single cent raised - instead he followed their lead.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)