Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ice water challenge for als

How about one for alzehimers?

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Replies (11-15):
LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM
I think that is awesome. The more people who get involved and find "out of the box" ways to raise awareness and funding for research, the better off this world will be!!

Quoting Tigress22304:

This is what my sd did to help raise money for autism awareness for my daughter and again for MS when a teacher from my daughter's school (and a dear family friend who's been involved with our family for YEARS before I was even born) was diagnosed.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: As I understand it, until this campaign ALS was among the most UNDERfunded research programs. Diabetes has a hige bankroll, asdo other diseases that are far far far more common than ALS. From what I heard in one video from a guy whose mother and grandmother have it (and he was just diagnosed with it), there are not eniugh cases to make it profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to really care about it.

And frankly, if you want to start a challenge for another disease, do it. A friend of mine runs a charity for childhood leukemia awareness and he started a challeenge of his own. I dpubt it will take off like the ALS one did because it involves more effort b it still, he did not bemoan the ALS challenge nor does he begrudge them a single cent raised - instead he followed their lead.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:45 PM

2 yrs back SD's school was doing an autism walk...she talked to her class (the entire grade) explaining how her little sister (my DD) has autism,explained what it was,what it's like to live with DD,and explained the challenges DD deals with on a day to day basis...the entire grade did fundraising-they raise like $2-3k in just their grade!!

I think the more you talk about it-get the word out-do whatever you need to-go for it!!

my brother was griping about the ALS challenge saying "oh there needs to be one for cancer" well just like you-we said "well start one! Don't bitch about it-BE ABOUT IT!"

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: I think that is awesome. The more people who get involved and find "out of the box" ways to raise awareness and funding for research, the better off this world will be!!
Quoting Tigress22304:

This is what my sd did to help raise money for autism awareness for my daughter and again for MS when a teacher from my daughter's school (and a dear family friend who's been involved with our family for YEARS before I was even born) was diagnosed.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: As I understand it, until this campaign ALS was among the most UNDERfunded research programs. Diabetes has a hige bankroll, asdo other diseases that are far far far more common than ALS. From what I heard in one video from a guy whose mother and grandmother have it (and he was just diagnosed with it), there are not eniugh cases to make it profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to really care about it. And frankly, if you want to start a challenge for another disease, do it. A friend of mine runs a charity for childhood leukemia awareness and he started a challeenge of his own. I dpubt it will take off like the ALS one did because it involves more effort b it still, he did not bemoan the ALS challenge nor does he begrudge them a single cent raised - instead he followed their lead.

LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:51 PM
Exactly. My son,4, was friends with the little girl who inspired the charity I mentioned below. She was diagnosed at 4 with leukemia and one of her teachers started the charity to collect hats for kids with cancer and to raise awareness. The charity has taken on a life of its own!! We moved to a new state recently and I have suggested to my son's new school that they have a hat drive, simultaneously raising awareness, in Sept. That is actually linked to the challenge the guy issued - to make yellow ribbon pins for Childhood Cancer Awareness month and challenge friends to do the same:)

Quoting Tigress22304:

2 yrs back SD's school was doing an autism walk...she talked to her class (the entire grade) explaining how her little sister (my DD) has autism,explained what it was,what it's like to live with DD,and explained the challenges DD deals with on a day to day basis...the entire grade did fundraising-they raise like $2-3k in just their grade!!

I think the more you talk about it-get the word out-do whatever you need to-go for it!!

my brother was griping about the ALS challenge saying "oh there needs to be one for cancer" well just like you-we said "well start one! Don't bitch about it-BE ABOUT IT!"

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: I think that is awesome. The more people who get involved and find "out of the box" ways to raise awareness and funding for research, the better off this world will be!!

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: As I understand it, until this campaign ALS was among the most UNDERfunded research programs. Diabetes has a hige bankroll, asdo other diseases that are far far far more common than ALS. From what I heard in one video from a guy whose mother and grandmother have it (and he was just diagnosed with it), there are not eniugh cases to make it profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to really care about it.

And frankly, if you want to start a challenge for another disease, do it. A friend of mine runs a charity for childhood leukemia awareness and he started a challeenge of his own. I dpubt it will take off like the ALS one did because it involves more effort b it still, he did not bemoan the ALS challenge nor does he begrudge them a single cent raised - instead he followed their lead.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:38 PM

omg that's amazing!!!

my friend A was diagnosed when he was a baby-they didnt expect him to survive...he and his wife just had their little girl join her 2 brothers..his brothers raised money to help mom pay the bills-and had so much help...I hope all kids learn to be so giving!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: Exactly. My son,4, was friends with the little girl who inspired the charity I mentioned below. She was diagnosed at 4 with leukemia and one of her teachers started the charity to collect hats for kids with cancer and to raise awareness. The charity has taken on a life of its own!! We moved to a new state recently and I have suggested to my son's new school that they have a hat drive, simultaneously raising awareness, in Sept. That is actually linked to the challenge the guy issued - to make yellow ribbon pins for Childhood Cancer Awareness month and challenge friends to do the same:)
Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: As I understand it, until this campaign ALS was among the most UNDERfunded research programs. Diabetes has a hige bankroll, asdo other diseases that are far far far more common than ALS. From what I heard in one video from a guy whose mother and grandmother have it (and he was just diagnosed with it), there are not eniugh cases to make it profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to really care about it. And frankly, if you want to start a challenge for another disease, do it. A friend of mine runs a charity for childhood leukemia awareness and he started a challeenge of his own. I dpubt it will take off like the ALS one did because it involves more effort b it still, he did not bemoan the ALS challenge nor does he begrudge them a single cent raised - instead he followed their lead.

LoveMyBoyK
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I am floored every time I check out the site. One little girl had a birthday party and told all her friends to bring hats to donate instead of presents. Kids have had lemonade stands and other fundraisers to buy hats to donate. The giving spirit of so many kids is heartwarming and encouraging!!

Quoting Tigress22304:

omg that's amazing!!!

my friend A was diagnosed when he was a baby-they didnt expect him to survive...he and his wife just had their little girl join her 2 brothers..his brothers raised money to help mom pay the bills-and had so much help...I hope all kids learn to be so giving!

Quoting LoveMyBoyK: Exactly. My son,4, was friends with the little girl who inspired the charity I mentioned below. She was diagnosed at 4 with leukemia and one of her teachers started the charity to collect hats for kids with cancer and to raise awareness. The charity has taken on a life of its own!! We moved to a new state recently and I have suggested to my son's new school that they have a hat drive, simultaneously raising awareness, in Sept. That is actually linked to the challenge the guy issued - to make yellow ribbon pins for Childhood Cancer Awareness month and challenge friends to do the same:)

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting Tigress22304:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN