Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your town have one?

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM
  • 50 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

A downtown that is. I live in the town I grew up in, approx. 30-35k population and we do have a down town. We were just eating lunch in a neighboring town and I was thinking though it has nice houses there is no downtown. We have a Christmas tree lighting every year, with a Christmas parade. The 4th of July parade goes through town too. Our library is downtown as is some restaurants, little shops and the such.

I personally find the idea of no downtown to be completely peculiar, my husband just says that's it's because not all towns are older like ours. The local Air Force marathon goes through downtown, there is a Halloween parade there too.
So tell me does you town have a downtown? If not is there a center to town?
by on Aug. 29, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Nope.  No downtown.  

And to make matters worse...the town is very sprawling...and is divided in half by a huge river with 2 ways to cross at either end.  So it can take almost 45 minutes to get from my house across the river.  Sigh.

bmw29
by Bobbie on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
We do but I avoid it like the plague.
suroundedbyboys
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:20 PM
Why?

Quoting bmw29: We do but I avoid it like the plague.
suroundedbyboys
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Does your town do celebrations and such elsewhere in town?

Quoting chicken13:

Nope.  No downtown.  

And to make matters worse...the town is very sprawling...and is divided in half by a huge river with 2 ways to cross at either end.  So it can take almost 45 minutes to get from my house across the river.  Sigh.

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Once a year they do a town picnic/festival stupidity.  It's awful.  And that's it.

when we lived in NJ, we were walking distance to an amazing downtown.  Fabulous stores, great restaurants, concerts in the park...you name it.  We loved it. 

Quoting suroundedbyboys: Does your town do celebrations and such elsewhere in town?
Quoting chicken13:

Nope.  No downtown.  

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes! Right now they're having the annual Arts, Beats & Eats festival. We'll probably head down tonight for games, food and some music :)

They also have parades, an amazing farmers market, Christmas tree lighting, trick or treat at the stores, etc. Love our city!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brownhoney21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Yes.

alf2651
by Amanda on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:53 PM
bmw29
by Bobbie on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:56 PM
It's all parallel parking and I HATE to parallel park. LOL

Quoting suroundedbyboys: Why?

Quoting bmw29: We do but I avoid it like the plague.
Chirinos
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Yes we have a downtown
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)