Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband bought me a lap top today...

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm not trying to be ungrateful, he was being helpful, but I wish he hadn't bought it.

My old laptop is 4 or 5 years old. I don't need anything new and snazzy, I use the internet and word processing. My husband is a computer guy. A few months ago the fan on my lap top died and they are really hard to replace as in everything has to come out that is on top- which is everything, the key board, mother board even the screen. Hubs managed to do it and the only casualty was my delete key, it broke off and so it was just a rubber nub, annoying but liveable. Then a few weeks ago my laptop fell off my lap (not unusual) and the battery tab broke. Annoying but as long as I didn't move or the laptop was plugged in it was fine. Then the puppy got ahold of the cord and chewed it (and the battery to bits). Hubs ordered a new cord, annoying but live-able. I needed him to order a new battery and I bought black duct tape to tape it on. This morning I was working on a lot of word files (hubs and I are both scout leaders and I am preparing for a new year getting everything organized). Three times while typing away the cord wiggled and I lost everything. I didn't complain to hubs just mentioned that it was frustrating. Hubs being Mr. Computer said enough was enough and we went and bought a new lap top. Apparently it as a phenomenal deal, its a dell and we got it for right around $200. I don't love it and its so different from my old lap top which I really like. My big issue is that this new one doesn't have a scrolling feature on the touch pad, it seems minor but I am a creature of habit. I love my old lap top, we bonded through a horrible pregnancy of my now 3 year old. Hubs insisted lap tops don't live as long as mine. Now I'm debating on insisting he return the new lap top. I don't really think we needed to spend the money, were going to Disney next month and I think it was a silly purchase.

Would you tell hubs to return it?

by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:39 AM

I would.  If you don't like it.

billysangel
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:43 AM
I'm looking to replace my Mac soon. I won't take a windows PC if it were free. I am picky and dh knows it. If you don't want it, you should tell him.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Sep. 2, 2014 at 3:06 PM

yes return it asap!

momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 2, 2014 at 7:39 PM

I would be honest

suroundedbyboys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM
He knows, but he finally got a driver loaded to let me single finger scroll and then said now you have to love it damnit, in a sort of goofy ton. Tonight he took our boys to swim lessons and came home and I was on my old lapt top and he said you do realize your using the wrong one right? He then proceeded to sing Let it go to me....

Quoting momofsixangels:

I would be honest

polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:43 PM
I would return it. You can pick out your own after your trip.
But I also would have bought a new one when it started breaking. You've probably come close to spending the same amount on parts to fix yours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suroundedbyboys
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:46 PM
My husband does computers so he knows where to shop for parts, my new cord was only $10 including shipping, fan was maybe $15 I think less though. I think maybe he's spent $40 all told fixing it.

Quoting polkaspots: I would return it. You can pick out your own after your trip.
But I also would have bought a new one when it started breaking. You've probably come close to spending the same amount on parts to fix yours.
polkaspots
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:20 PM
That makes sense. I like macs, so DH doesn't touch my stuff. He's a windows person. I don't think I've ever tried to fix a computer. I've only owned one, and I gave it to my sister.

Quoting suroundedbyboys: My husband does computers so he knows where to shop for parts, my new cord was only $10 including shipping, fan was maybe $15 I think less though. I think maybe he's spent $40 all told fixing it.

Quoting polkaspots: I would return it. You can pick out your own after your trip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikahand83
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Honestly, its up to you and your husband what you do. If you are really unhappy with it and don't want then take it back and maybe get a different one later on that you like. I do think that your husband was trying to be helpful though and I would make sure to let him know that you appreciate the thoughts behind it even though you don't think it's a necessary purchase at this time.

vanillaorchida
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 7:21 AM

1st After all the abuse the old one has been through...it's only a matter of time before the hard drive crashes and if you don't transfer all the data...(back it up) you will permanently lose everything.

2nd  He didn't take the old one away? If you still have the old one...you could still use it...but backup everything you do on it to the new laptop.

3rd  Change is not always welcome...but I've found if I give it a chance...I find something to love about each change that comes my way. There may be a feature or app your new laptop does that your old one didn't...discover the possibilities. 

They can do so much more than just internet and word processing...I love my iCalendar which syncs to my Blackberry phone...All important dates on both. I use the note feature of info storage of data I need on a regular basis...clothing/shoe sizes of family members (it seems to change daily with kids), my grocery list, my to do today list, things I've thought of doing when I have time, etc.

I have out budget and passwords in spreadsheets...anything that starts with a list I make in a spreadsheet so one column is the done box to check one is what the item to be done is, etc.

We have boy scout camp packing lists, family vacation packing lists all in spreadsheets.

Do it once, tweak as needed...motto of efficiency!

I love Scoutbook.com for keeping track of my scouts...we started it when they were cubs and then just clicked a button and entered the Troop name when they crossed over to Boy Scouts...all on internet so even if one of the boys loses his scout handbook...we NEVER lose what he's accomplished so far!

As for returning it...you could do that...and then when your old one dies...you'd be going back out to buy a new laptop...only this time...there may not be the sale/deal that your hubbs got on the one you returned...so you will have gone twice and spent more to end up right back with a new laptop anyway.

Not very good use of time or money...not to mention the devaluing of your husband's expertise, fiscal responsibilities, and considerateness for your fustrations.

Given all that has happened to Laptop 1...I hope you protect laptop 2 from the same fate. LOL

My 2nd laptop would get so hot it was burning my thighs...so I called tech services...is this normal? why isn't the fan cooling it off better? It's burning the skin on my thighs....

His response:  "Well, you really should be using it at a desk."

My response:  "Well, if I wanted to be chained to a desk...I would have bought a DESKTOP. I want the freedom to work anywhere...which is why I bought a LAPTOP...to work from... my... LAP!"

Just trying to end on a humorous note...

Quoting suroundedbyboys:

I'm not trying to be ungrateful, he was being helpful, but I wish he hadn't bought it.

My old laptop is 4 or 5 years old. I don't need anything new and snazzy, I use the internet and word processing. My husband is a computer guy. A few months ago the fan on my lap top died and they are really hard to replace as in everything has to come out that is on top- which is everything, the key board, mother board even the screen. Hubs managed to do it and the only casualty was my delete key, it broke off and so it was just a rubber nub, annoying but liveable. Then a few weeks ago my laptop fell off my lap (not unusual) and the battery tab broke. Annoying but as long as I didn't move or the laptop was plugged in it was fine. Then the puppy got ahold of the cord and chewed it (and the battery to bits). Hubs ordered a new cord, annoying but live-able. I needed him to order a new battery and I bought black duct tape to tape it on. This morning I was working on a lot of word files (hubs and I are both scout leaders and I am preparing for a new year getting everything organized). Three times while typing away the cord wiggled and I lost everything. I didn't complain to hubs just mentioned that it was frustrating. Hubs being Mr. Computer said enough was enough and we went and bought a new lap top. Apparently it as a phenomenal deal, its a dell and we got it for right around $200. I don't love it and its so different from my old lap top which I really like. My big issue is that this new one doesn't have a scrolling feature on the touch pad, it seems minor but I am a creature of habit. I love my old lap top, we bonded through a horrible pregnancy of my now 3 year old. Hubs insisted lap tops don't live as long as mine. Now I'm debating on insisting he return the new lap top. I don't really think we needed to spend the money, were going to Disney next month and I think it was a silly purchase.

Would you tell hubs to return it?

JOY is in the JOurneY.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)