Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

didn't think it through

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM
  • 14 Replies

i made a deal with my 11yr old without thinking all the details through.  my 7yr old wants to learn to play violin.  right now i don't have the time or money to get him "real" lessons so i asked my 11yr old if she would teach her brother the basics.  she's been playing for 3yrs & is a wonderful musician.  i told her she could give him 5-10min lessons a day, just the basics; strings, plucking, bow hold, etc.  if she did this i would give her "points" for every time she gave him a lesson & after she got so many points i'd get her a new bow.  (the one she has now isn't really a great one).

the part i didn't think through? how many points to give per lesson & how much she needs to have to get a new bow.  why oh why didn't i think all that through first?!  i do have time to figure it all out because we just started this over the weekend but i'd still like to figure it out.  any suggestions mamas?

oh, bows can be as low as $75 & go up from there.  my daughter tends to lean more toward higher end instruments & bows (we went looking at bows one day & the one she fell in love with was $345).  i'll definitely have a price limit on the bow, can't afford a really nice one.  should i simple have each lesson be a point which equals $1? 

by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofsixangels
by Colleen on Sep. 2, 2014 at 7:38 PM

wow! expensive!

EireLass
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM
Yes, $1. Shes inly 11, and isnt a real teacher. But it is good incentive.
bloomsr
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Each lesson should be 1 point. Each point should be worth $5.

She would have to do 15 lessons to reach $75. It's not realistic for her to do 1 point=$1 and expect her to give lessons for. 2 months and still be excited to do it.
chicken13
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 9:01 PM

I think $1-2 a lesson should be fine.  Maybe $1 for 5 minutes?

bows are so expensive....my MIL is a concert cellist.

taKENheart
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 10:31 PM

So she started at 8yrs old?  Will you be able to have the time and money to have him start next year?  I sure hope so ;)  You never know though...he might change his mind by then, lol.

As far as what to pay her...I'd give her a dollar per day if you can afford that as long as she sticks with the 5-10mins.  Honestly though I think I would enforce 10mins for that much.  That would take a good amount of months for the one she fell in love with though.  Maybe you can add birthday or holiday money to it when those times come...or let her choose if that's what she wants to do instead of gifts.

mamamiajk
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 9:17 AM

How wonderful to have that kind of talent! $1 sounds fair though.

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM

well any good handmade instrument is.  that's one thing about wood instruments, they are handmade so they are pricey.

Quoting momofsixangels:

wow! expensive!

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

she was lucky that when she was in 3rd grade they still had after school music programs in the elementary schools.  sadly her 3rd grade year was the last year they had that.  if it wasn't for that she wouldn't have started so young.  private instructors around me are so expensive, $30+ for 1/2hr lesson, we simple couldn't have afforded it.

when she got her new violin for christmas last year i had a limit of what i was going to spend.  of course when we went shopping the one she fell in love with was over that limit.  she gave me all her christmas money & left over birthday money & said i could take the rest out of her savings account.  i took what she had in her wallet but not out of the bank.  it still wasn't enough for the violin, short $75 or so, but since she was willing to give up everything i got her the violin she wanted.  she'd have no issue doing the same when it comes time to buy her new bow.

Quoting taKENheart:

So she started at 8yrs old?  Will you be able to have the time and money to have him start next year?  I sure hope so ;)  You never know though...he might change his mind by then, lol.As far as what to pay her...I'd give her a dollar per day if you can afford that as long as she sticks with the 5-10mins.  Honestly though I think I would enforce 10mins for that much.  That would take a good amount of months for the one she fell in love with though.  Maybe you can add birthday or holiday money to it when those times come...or let her choose if that's what she wants to do instead of gifts. 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

he may loose interest but i wouldn't count on it.  i don't get my children involved in activities until they've expressed an interest in them for awhile.  he's been saying for the last year he wants to learn violin & has taken my daughter's old one & started to play by watching her. 

my family is very musical & both my children want to learn multiple instruments.  my daughter wants to learn all strings, guitar, & concertina.  my son wants to learn the violin, drums (especially the bodhran -irish hand drum), guitar & he will be learning irish whistle starting this sunday.

Quoting taKENheart:

So she started at 8yrs old?  Will you be able to have the time and money to have him start next year?  I sure hope so ;)  You never know though...he might change his mind by then, lol.As far as what to pay her...I'd give her a dollar per day if you can afford that as long as she sticks with the 5-10mins.  Honestly though I think I would enforce 10mins for that much.  That would take a good amount of months for the one she fell in love with though.  Maybe you can add birthday or holiday money to it when those times come...or let her choose if that's what she wants to do instead of gifts. 

lizzig
by Ruby Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM

for her it is though.  my kids are used to waiting for things.  i wait until after they've expressed an interest in something for awhile before i get them involved.  my daughter had wanted to play violin for a year before she started, the same with irish fiddle.  i've never been one to jump on an interest as soon as it's expressed.  i've seen too many kids like that that loose interest after a short bit & are then forced to finish the classes/activity before they can quit.  or in some cases aren't allowed to quit because of the parents investment, like in buying an instrument.

Quoting bloomsr: Each lesson should be 1 point. Each point should be worth $5. She would have to do 15 lessons to reach $75. It's not realistic for her to do 1 point=$1 and expect her to give lessons for. 2 months and still be excited to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)