Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 11 year old daughter wants a cell phone

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2015 at 3:57 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hello Ladies I need advice, my daughter wants a cell phone which is OK with me, however my concern is getting her one with internet service, there's so much that goes on now a days it makes me a little uneasy, has anyone had this happen? how did you handle it? all feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks

by on Jul. 28, 2015 at 3:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 28, 2015 at 7:13 AM

I didn't give my oldest son  cell phone at that age.  I was against it when his dad got him one at 16...

Juniper53098
by June on Jul. 28, 2015 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

You can always get her a flip phone with no internet service on it.

MomMomMomMama
by on Jul. 28, 2015 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this
There are so many parental monitoring apps now. We just got my kids phones this past Christmas (age 13 and 12). They are in middle school and involved in extra curriculars and I like the convenience of being in touch. If DS is coming home from a track meet at 9 pm, he can call/text and let me know exactly when the bus will be back at the school so I'm not there at 7pm waiting with no idea that there was a delay. And, man, is a phone an awesome instrument for discipline. DDs behavior/attitude has improved because if she doesn't follow the rules, she loses her phone. Plus, she has an app that has thousands of free books and she reads constantly. And we monitor and let them know if there are inappropriate things, for example, DD had a snapchat picture of an emoticon flipping the bird and we made sure she knew that was unacceptable. Good luck! Check out cricket if you want some relatively cheap smart phone plan which will ensure there are no data overage charges.
scapermom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2015 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I gave my DD my old cell phone - not internet capable, but with her own # & ability to text at that age.

If you do go the smart phone route, I'd suggest laying down ground rules & stick to them.

Also my dd does not have certain apps that could get her in to trouble - like snap chat or twitter.

She also knows not to put pictures of herself on Instagram.

I monitor her & follow her so I see what she posts. Even so, it's still very hard for parents, since there are message & inbox capabilities you can't see. I try to keep talking with her about what's going on in her 'cyber world' to help keep tabs on what's going on.

jky_67
by Member on Jul. 30, 2015 at 7:47 PM
We're planning on getting one when he goes to middle school next year but no internet access.
bhow
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2015 at 10:40 AM

there are a crap load of parental controls that are easily turned on and off by you.  As long as you keep control of the account and passwords child can't change things.  I've even blocked other kids numbers without telling mine I was doing it, they just kinda figured those kids finally gave up.  

chicken13
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM

I'm probably the odd ball.  Dd has had a phone since she was in K.  It just made our life easier.  At that time....it didn't have internet but there were still rules she needed to follow and things that we kept track of and checked up on.

As she's gotten older, her phone has gotten more advanced.  She's got internet and texting and a bunch of "scary" apps like snapchat.  She's grown up with it and knows what she should and shouldn't be doing and we check up on her and her activity.

aj_mom
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2015 at 5:05 PM

DS is 10 and has had one for a few months. He has the simplest phone there was, he had not internet access. He has one little friend that he texts and we see everything that goes in and out. You just lay down ground rules, if she doesn't follow them you make consequences and make sure you follow through with them.

Suiky
by New Member on Nov. 7, 2017 at 8:32 AM

My child has a mobile phone since 7 years. I think it's very important that a child can call me in a difficult situation. I asked my husband to establish parental control, and all the necessary applications and educational games we downloaded for free here https://apkbird.com/en/category/game_educational/1  . If our son wants a new game or application, he asks us to install it. I think that there is nothing wrong with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)