Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Budgeting

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM
  • 11 Replies
I have a serious spending problem that leaves me broke every month. What are some spending/saving tips that will definitely help me. I really need to change for the better before I have a baby.
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Juniper53098
by June on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You can do an envelope system - put money in an envelope for every expense and any "mad money".  When it's gone, it's gone.

Spoiled_Blonde
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
The envelope idea is great. Also figure out your debt to income ratio. So figure out exactly how much you need to survive, then add in luxuries such as cable, etc. Cut out what you can't afford. Put a set amount in savings every month or paycheck, this should always come before luxuries. Work from there. We live on 30% of our income, the 70% goes into savings/retirement.
Angels122013
by on Nov. 4, 2015 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Start couponing!  I use to spend money right and left and then got big into coupons.  I saw how much money I was actually saving while couponing and was extremely impressed. I took that extra money that I was spending on nonsense and put it into a savings account.  

jky_67
by Member on Nov. 5, 2015 at 12:07 PM
I have a wallet/change bag that I put anywhere from $20-100 in whenever I go to the ATM. It's my "just in case" money (like when tooth fairy comes and I don't have enough cash in my purse). I was surprised to find almost $600 within 6 months!
Flobrooks
by on Nov. 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Stay out of stores. No Joke! Make a list of your traps: Bath and Body Works, Favorite department store, Hobby store,etc. Make a point to avoid them for a while.

girlscouts.mg
by New Member on Nov. 24, 2015 at 1:49 PM

You Need a Budget - Great program (and app). They are getting ready to release a new update.

doublemom888
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Use a shopping list - and stick to it.

scapermom
by Member on Mar. 16, 2016 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with staying out of stores!

Also make lists, and plan things like meals. Only buy what you have on that list!

Buy in bulk & stock up when there are big sales.

Also, just saw this on Pinterest - it's an article on things you can do to cut spending: http://www.thebudgetdiet.com/cut-your-spending-by-400-a-month

RonaH
by Member on Mar. 16, 2016 at 9:34 AM

I set budgets to everything. I seriously rarely if ever shop without a coupon there are always deals to be had. It satisfies my urge to have new things while I hardly pay anything. If my daughter needs something she will tell me in advance she know I will look out for a deal. She needed a white shirt  we ended up getting two shirts for $7 one was a Nike shirt. If you do a little planning ahead you can save on anything you need.

bhow
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2016 at 9:27 AM

If you have a dollar tree near you use coupons for food.  I have only done it a few times but I see young women in there using them like heck all the time.  It's unbelievable how much these girls are getting for nothing.  IDK how they get it all figured out but I've seen cart loads a few times, have asked about the coupons and 1 girl told me when she leaves that store she will have spent $15.   My kids are gone more often than not and rarely eat here so I just don't bother with coupons any more, used to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)