Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to Buy Gifts that People Actually Like

Posted by on Dec. 22, 2016 at 2:56 AM
  • 3 Replies

BY: ALYSSA RAIOLA

Ever buy someone a present you're sure they'll love, only to have them open it and say the classically fake, "Oh, I loveeeee it"? Buying gifts—well, gifts people actually like—is really freaking hard.

1. Think beyond the moment they unwrap it.
    Sure, going for that initial "OMG" moment is great, but make sure to ask yourself: Can you seriously picture your friend or loved one using this in their day-to-day life?
  2. OK, just give them what they ask for.
    It sounds boring, but people ask for sh*t for a reason. Chances are, if they asked for it, they'll actually like it. Plus, studies confirm that people see these gifts as more thoughtful than the ones that are a complete surprise.
  3. Don't pair a big present with a small one.
    There's no need to add a trinket to the gift you splurged on. Research shows big-deal stuff looks like more of a big deal when it's standing alone.
  4. Or honestly, just give them $$$.
    You may think giving cash sounds lame, but researchers found that people want cash more than they let on, and they often appreciate it more than a physical gift.
by on Dec. 22, 2016 at 2:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Glitch202
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2017 at 8:53 AM

I have always given my husband things that he enjoyed.  But in twenty four years, I only gave him one thing that made him do the happy dance.  It was a gravity bed.  You know, one of those table things that you step into and then you can turn it upside down to stretch out your back?

It took so long to get it, because mainly, it was a big ticket item and we usually spent more money on the kid than each other.  I mean, he loves to fish and he enjoyed all of the fishing stuff I got him, but he really, really loved this!  

But I say if you really know a person, it doesn't have to be a big ticket item.  It just has to show that you pay attention to their habits, toys and hobbies.  Unless of course, they are shallow assholes. 

ame19
by New Member on Mar. 31, 2017 at 9:14 AM

In our family we like to either give you something that is essential from clothes to money.. and you may also get a gag gift. My family is full of jokers and it's pretty easy to get one another gifts. My issue is SO's side of the family.. I can give a gag gift to SO's dad, but you better get exactly what his mom wants from the color to the size to the shape.. the exact thing she asked for or you'll be on her bad list for a while. If I forget to get someone something at the last minute it usually isn't hard for me to go grab a birthday bag and fill it with things they like.. if only I know the person is easy going...

Shree1990
by on Aug. 24, 2017 at 2:02 PM

I still feel that giving more products just further clutters their lives. I usually write letters to my loved ones or prepare cards. I like to write, but my sister makes knitted articles for everyone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)