Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you raciest?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM
  • 22 Replies
  • 704 Total Views

Sounds weird, but I mean not just black and white, anyone! I found that many people I know are raciest to Hispanics,  and feel that there right. So I wonder how many of you are raciest?

by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Radarma
by on Jun. 26, 2010 at 8:30 PM

I have some issues, I do, and I am not afraid to admit them.

I believe stereotypes are born of truth...and I go with that.

I keep an open mind, but 9 times out of ten, the stereotype is proven true.

Point in fact: I recently caught an episode of "Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader" and the contestant was an AA man...he, according to the intro spiel, held TWO master's degrees.

He was unable to answer the FIRST question, and several subsequent (easy!) questions.

Initially, I was all aflutter and excited to see a 'smart black man" on TV. My excitement faded quickly.

My feelings for Latinos are not as extreme, basically because I am raised around and with latinos, so they are "my" people to a large degree.

I am aware of these mental issues I struggle with, and it is not a facet of me I am necessarily "proud" of, yet it is what it is.

My real life experiences with AA's are wonderful...my online experiences, not so much.

I am concerned about AA women; there is a tremendous amount of anger going on and I have been the object of this ire more than once.

OP~Tell me about your thoughts....talk with us.

Great post! Let's trust each other on this post, let's open up a bit.

sdgd21
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Quoting Radarma:

I have some issues, I do, and I am not afraid to admit them.

I believe stereotypes are born of truth...and I go with that.

I keep an open mind, but 9 times out of ten, the stereotype is proven true.

Point in fact: I recently caught an episode of "Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader" and the contestant was an AA man...he, according to the intro spiel, held TWO master's degrees.

He was unable to answer the FIRST question, and several subsequent (easy!) questions.

Initially, I was all aflutter and excited to see a 'smart black man" on TV. My excitement faded quickly.

My feelings for Latinos are not as extreme, basically because I am raised around and with latinos, so they are "my" people to a large degree.

I am aware of these mental issues I struggle with, and it is not a facet of me I am necessarily "proud" of, yet it is what it is.

My real life experiences with AA's are wonderful...my online experiences, not so much.

I am concerned about AA women; there is a tremendous amount of anger going on and I have been the object of this ire more than once.

OP~Tell me about your thoughts....talk with us.

Great post! Let's trust each other on this post, let's open up a bit.

IMO, you felt that way because you saw a black man, not a man.  i have seen that happen on show with people, Also where are you form, AA's with masters rain like cats and dogs here, lol.  It almost the same as everyone else, well when you include amount of population.  I don't think most of Aa women are angry, just tired. Maybe a bit mean (sorry it true, i was scared all in high school of fellow AA girls).  But i still think that's a class thing, people who are lower class seem to be angry. I guess from life being hard, Idk, i was raised upper middle class, and although My husband and I have had to pull ourselves up from nothing, I never felt "poor" so I never felt angry, just motivated.  

I'll be honest, i have issues in some ways with everyone. But I think it not a race thing, it just plum prejudice!  We moved a bit, but to be in an all white or Hispanic school, I Never felt different. No I did, but not because I am AA, I am just a loner, and it showed. I moved with my family to NV, to a mostly (or as close as you can get here)AA school, it was horrible! I was picked on, I fought all the time, I was called names, it got so bad my parents had to move us. So I had issues with AA women for a while, but I had to step way and look at the bigger picture. AA women are not seen like any other women, We have to be stronger with thicker skin from almost birth. as a woman, i get it. The kids hated me because I spoke proper english, my parents where together, I loved my siblings, we had money, we traveled, the did not understand, they called me "white girl dipped in chocolate" said I wanted to be white, I was unaware people could want such a thing, or could"act" black or white.   

Always About truth Shawaynea Diana. :-)

http://www.cafemom.com/group/33488

Radarma
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Demographics definitely matter, I totally agree.

I am in Northern California and we have a very small pop of AA's here; but we get all the news out of the city (san francisco) and surrounding areas, i.e., Oakland California, Richmond California. Hell there was just a shoot out at a funeral for a black person. WTF?

We get all the bad news and RARELY see anything positive on the TV/media concerning AA's.

I get tired of constantly having this internal dialogue of 'they are not all like that.." I am being honest here and that is not easy. I do not aim to offend, but I do aim for total honesty.

As for Latinos, here is a telling admonition...my kids and I recently experienced sitting between a bit of a scuffle. DS and I were on our way to pick up DD from her school and as we were waiting at a stop light there were teens hauling ass in and out of the cars, apparently fleeing from someone/something.

Then, from a parking lot on one side of us came these three latino young men and they were hollering across at the other latino teens "you muther fucking punk ass bitch, get back here and say that shit to my face you lil mother fucker punk ass mother fucker..."

It was awful.

When we got to DD's school, DS started to tell DD about this and she asked: "were they mexican mom"

I was like "wha??? why???" And she said "well, it just seems like they are not that smart."

OMG But you know what? According to HER perspective, I can totally see why she would feel this way. SHE is the minority in her school (so is DS). We have a majority pop of latinos here and for most of them, english is a 2nd language and to a child, this "presents" in a classroom as less intelligent.

I think we all, WE ALL struggle with these issues, what we think of others.

I appreciate your honesty in this discussion, and your trust in me to share!

mattsfavmom
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I do not feel that I am a racist.  I am an equal opportunity hater.  I hate lazy white people who take advantage of the system and rob pharmacies for drugs, I hate black gang bangers and Mexican gangbangers and Asian gangbangers. I hate people who refuse to get rid of the stereotypes that Dar speaks of, and instead, inhances them.  I am also an equal opportunity lover.  I love all people who stand up and do the right thing for themselves and for society as a whole. 

honeyrder
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:41 PM

It bothers me when people call Hispanic a race. It's not. It's not even a term used outside of the US.

conweis
by Group Owner on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Im racist to stupid people.

But when the stbx hubs and me were going at it I said some nasty things to him and about him and had people call me racist just because he was latino and I am white. I didn't say anything stereotypical or about race except for the fact I wish his ass would get a job in Arizona and then be deported.
Honestly people really should learn the different between racism and an angry venting woman.

Being prejudice and racist are two different things as is being uninformed and being racist.
I believe it takes too much energy to hate someone based just on color creed or religion and I happen to be a very lazy person by nature.

honeyrder
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Yeah.

Quoting conweis:

Im racist to stupid people.

But when the stbx hubs and me were going at it I said some nasty things to him and about him and had people call me racist just because he was latino and I am white. I didn't say anything stereotypical or about race except for the fact I wish his ass would get a job in Arizona and then be deported.
Honestly people really should learn the different between racism and an angry venting woman.

Being prejudice and racist are two different things as is being uninformed and being racist.
I believe it takes too much energy to hate somene based just on color creed or religion and I happen to be a very lazy person by nature.

groovegal
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I judge a person by their actions, not their race or ethnicity.  If that person then plays to the stereo type I feel they earned it.

As of late I am not to keen on the Hispanic ethnicity in general.  My husband is Mexican, and he would agree with me that where we live, his people overall are ignorant, rude, feel superior towards others, etc. and are perpetuating a stereo type of which my husband and his family want no part.  Furthermore, I do not wish my children to believe this is what their heritage is about.

honeyrder
by Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I was going to say that I hate the way people act when it perpetuates the stereotypes.

Quoting groovegal:

I judge a person by their actions, not their race or ethnicity.  If that person then plays to the stereo type I feel they earned it.

As of late I am not to keen on the Hispanic ethnicity in general.  My husband is Mexican, and he would agree with me that where we live, his people overall are ignorant, rude, feel superior towards others, etc. and are perpetuating a stereo type of which my husband and his family want no part.  Furthermore, I do not wish my children to believe this is what their heritage is about.

groovegal
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Beat ya to it =)

Quoting honeyrder:

I was going to say that I hate the way people act when it perpetuates the stereotypes.

Quoting groovegal:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)