Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Find a real haunted house near you

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:48 PM

We have quite a few here...but my kids are too small to go! 

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:52 PM

i couldn't find any pics but these are two popular ghost stories by syracuse, ny.

13 Curves on Cedarville Road off of Onondaga Hill

Numerous ghostly sighting have been reported at this location of a female phantom that wanders the roadside at night. The story goes that about 70 years or more ago, a young bride and groom were killed in a car accident on their wedding night. The bride, still wearing her wedding dress, reportedly wanders the road looking for her beloved groom. Some accounts of the lady in white include a transparent figure walking along the road as motorists pass by and a face that suddenly appears in car windows as they drive down the winding road. I personally have been to this site and have yet to catch a glimpse of the nomad bride. But then again, I've never been brave enough to go there at night.

Split Rock Quarry in Solvay, NY

This is one of the scariest places to visit in Syracuse, both in the daytime and especially at night. It also probably has the most tragic past in the city. On July 12, 1918, Split Rock was the Semet-Solvay Munitions Plant, a plant that had very hazardous materials in it's facility including TNT and picric acid. On this night, the worst fears of those who worked there were realized when the plant exploded, killing 50 men and injuring over 100. Those who were killed suffered horrible demises including being covered with picric acid, burning to death and being buried alive. 15 of the men killed were so badly disfigured that they were never identified and were buried in unmarked graves.

blocked and deleted moms join here:
We don't delete.....

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I live in Goshen, IN now... But, I used to live in Louisville, KY where the Waverly Hills Sanitorium is located.  This is supposed to be haunted, and there have been several sightings of figures/spirits/ghosts.  Every Halloween, the owners open it up as a "haunted house."   You can do the regular tour, the morgue tour, or both.  I went a couple of years ago (just the regular tour), and it was the scariest thing I have ever subjected myself to!!!

CafeMom Tickers

by Member on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:18 PM

The real gravity hill is here in NC, near Denton, and we also have the Jamestown Bridge.

baby girl Roxanne~Momma Rox4683

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:20 PM

oooo haunted places are awesome!

i personally enjoy the whaley house and hotel del coronado...

we recently moved out of a haunted house...more or less a good haunted though =)

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM

HA! so i did the search and they came up too LOL

Whaley House

San Diego, California

During the early part of the 20th century, this house was home to the Whaley family, while it was also being used as a town hall and courthouse. Hangings were a frequent occurrence in the parlor, and strange happenings have been linked to this. All the Whaley children died unnatural deaths such as having an ax fall on their head, and being killed in the doorway of a closet. Today, in addition to the sightings of two apparitions, footsteps are heard and many weird odors permeate through the house�

151 Comments Read more »

Tsunami Beach Club

San Diego, California

Built in 1866, this building was once frequented by such names as Wyatt Earp. There are said to be tunnels underneath the building, leading to other hotels in the area, allowing for either an escape, or quick getaway. The building is plagued by hissing sounds and footsteps. Many also feel as though they are constantly being watched.

26 Comments Read more »

Hotel del Coronado

San Diego, California

The Hotel Del Coronado, affectionately called “The Del,” sits overlooking the San Francisco Bay, dominating the beach with its brick colored roofs and sharp white walls. A true American beauty, it remains a stunning and sprawling example of the traditional wooden Victorian seaside resort. Opening in 1888, the Del has hosted such famous folks as “Lucky Lindy” (Charles Lindbergh), Thomas Edison, Charlie Chaplin, Humphrey Bogart, Brad Pitt, L. Frank Baum, Babe Ruth, President Benjamin Harrison�

57 Comments Read more »

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I live in WA and we have all sorts of haunted places around here. Port Townsend is probably one of the most famous and has been features on shows on the History Channel. I love going to haunted places and am always looking for new ones.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)