Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Relocating from San Francisco. Need to build my mommy network :)

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 365 Total Views

Mobile Photo

Relocating from San Francisco and would like to connect with local mommies.

Feeling pretty clueless about everything -- preschools, activities, neighborhoods, culture, et al.

I grew up in Hawaii, so beach life is not new to me, but definitely feeling like a fish out of water after living in San Francisco for 16+ years.

Any and all advice appreciated :)
by on Mar. 30, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
megs3cubs
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi there, I'm Meghan I relocated to the area last year with my family. This is a great area for families. All the schools have great ratings and there are lots of fun things to do. In fact we are off to food truck Friday tonight in Abacoa town center. I don't know if you have found a home yet but I am also a real estate agent and would be happy to help your family get settled. You should also check out the Sea Turtle museum/rescue, there is a wildlife park (donation zoo). Lots of great parks.  

KAA81711
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Hi! I am also moving to the area this summer! Im expecting my first baby this sept and wil be interested in meeting other moms and hopefully having some play groups! 

I moved to FL from NJ, and i absloutely love the Jupiter area. Its very laid back compared to Delray beach area, which im moving from. Jupiter has a lot of great restaurants, beautiful beaches and the intercoastal is great for boating, kayaking and paddle boarding. There are a lot of great places to go for walks with your kids, and play grounds. 

My husband and I chose to live in a gated community because we felt safe and it just works for us. I know alot of families live in Abacoa but we werent looking for that kind of neighborhood. It all depends what your price range and living needs are. 

I hope you found this somewhat helpful! message me if you  want to chat!

kate

SFmommyMc
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Thanks, ladies! Nice to hear from you both.

We arrive mid May and have found a fantastic home that suits our needs for the short term. It will be a bit of a culture shock, no doubt, moving from the City. San Francisco is very unique. Although I am no stranger to beach living. I grew up in Hawaii. :)

I think it's interesting that you are concerned about safety. I hear a lot of people talk about fear and safety in Florida. I respect your desire to live in a gated community. What are your concerns?

Also, preschool? Pediatricians? Would love some recommendations. Thank you, again!

megs3cubs
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 9:51 AM
In Jupiter safety is not as big of a deal. The further south you go the more crime rate goes up. One theory is the large number of undocumented people living down and around Miami. Lots of fraud, theft, and theft leads to break ins etc. Jupiter is low crime. From officers I've spoken with the biggest problem is homeless people living in the woods but they are good about making them move to shelters.
I actually live in what locals consider "the bad part of town" I'm from a big city and it's no where near "bad" haha. It's just not an HOA neighborhood so not everyone mows the yard once a week and some people have several cars in their drive.
One of the coolest things I found out when I moved here was that Florida does voluntary pre-k or VPK. Funded through taxes so you don't have to pay monthly and they focus on kindergarten readiness. Most locations do 3 days a week. I picked hi-tech academy on A1A beacuse they do 5 full days and they go all year not half a year like most. I'm very happy with them.
KAA81711
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I only mentioned safety because we are familiar with delray beach and west palm, which can be a little spotty with rehab facilities and very close to high crime areas. I feel SO much safer up in Jupiter though. Its just so happens the home we loved was in a gated community so we went with it. 

We will be moving to Tequesta in late June and cant wait! I only dread the packing process :/   How many children do you have SFmommymc?

SFmommyMc
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM
I have two little ones :) 3.5 months and 2.7 years. Baby girl and wild boy toddler!

We will be near the Jupiter beach resort end of town. Lovely older single family home neighborhood close to the beach!

Would love to meet up for a caffeinated play date.

Lauren
KLM85
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Hi! Just moved here myself, from Washington DC and looking for other mama friends / play dates. I have a little boy who just turned 1 and am desperate for some connections in the area! Have you found some good groups / things to do? Would love any info and would also love to hang out!

BPelt
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 2:11 PM
Hi there! We just moved here from Columbus, OH a month ago with an almost 3 yr old and 1 yr old boys. We'd love to get out and meet other kiddos and moms in the area! We have found some great activities but it's always more fun with more people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)