Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for anyone who has 3 or more kids.....

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM
  • 15 Replies
  • 350 Total Views

Or really anyone who knows......

Does a women's labor time just keep on getting shorter and shorter?(I mean normally...I'm sure there are always some exceptions).

Like my first labor was 11.5 hours. My second was 3 hours......2 of which were pretty much painless. I'm planning on having the baby in the hospital with my OB, but I feel like I should prepare to have it at home! I mean, if the labor gets shorter than 3 hours, by the time I actually feel like I'm in labor the baby will be almost out.

I'm not really worried. And I feel like I will be pretty well prepared......I'm in nursing school and next semester I will have my OB clinical in a really good hospital(they have a birthing center in there that's AWESOME)...so I'm sure I'll be seeing and learning a lot. I guess I'm just curious how much faster I should expect this labor to be.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday TickerLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

CafeMom Tickers

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eternalchild
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I have had 3 babies...

My first was 6.5 hours.  My second was 6.5 hours (with double nuchal hands), and my third was 3 hours.  My first 2 were in a birth center that we had to drive 30 minutes to get to.  My 3rd was at home.  My sister has has 3 babies so far as well.  Her labors have never gotten shorter and have always been between 6 and 8 hours, and all of hers were born in the same birth center.

My opinion is that it has more to do with comfort level as to how fast your labor will progress.  If you go into labor and get worked up about leaving or going somewhere else or are having anxiety about driving to the hopsital, that alone can make it long enough to get you where you need to go. 

So, it could be faster, or it could stay the same or it could get longer.  I have always heard that 3rd babies are unpredictable when it comes to labor and 4ths even more so.

Mommy to Mara (November 1999), Marty (March 2006), Chrissy (November 2008) and Baby ? due June 2010.

Stefanie83
by Group Owner on Dec. 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM

i have heard that on average they get shorter but not necessarily.  since i'm driving an hour i'm going to read up on birthing in the car JUST IN CASE so that i won't feel worried about that at the end.  and have the necessary stuff, not really sure what, but like towels and a bucket for the placenta i heard is a good idea.  my first labor was about 8 hours though and i'll be happy if this one is like 5 haha.

TessaMommy
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:20 PM

My first was 8 hours, 2nd was 4 hours, 3rd was 4 hours and my fourth was 10 hours.  So I think it just depends, although I do agree it helps to be comortable.  My third was a terrible hospital birth though, and it was just as short as my second.  My third was a birth center, but I think I was more worrie about driving that far (45 min) in case my labor was fast again, because like you, they are pretty mild until the last hour or 2.  So maybe that is why it took longer?  I don't know.  He was also my only one to go past my due date, and he went past 10 days.  So he was unpredictable from the start!

Pregnancy ticker

Paesana82
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:50 PM

LOL...you guys make me nervous....I don't want it to get longer ;)

Aside from being nervous about something bad happening during pregnancy, I'm not really a nervous person when it comes to labor. So, even if it would happen at home, I don't think I'd be too freaked out about it, but I def want to be prepared...I mean if I'm alone and giving birth, my poor kids....I wouldn't want them to hear me screaming and see all the blood. I think they'd be kinda freaked out since they're so young. 

The hospital is only about 15min away, so it's not a big deal.....the thing is I'd need to wait for someone to take the kids and drive me.

Anyway, I'm just hoping the my birthing experience is just as nice as last time.

CafeMom Tickers

Paesana82
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM

What's double nuchal hands?

Quoting Eternalchild:

I have had 3 babies...

My first was 6.5 hours.  My second was 6.5 hours (with double nuchal hands), and my third was 3 hours.  My first 2 were in a birth center that we had to drive 30 minutes to get to.  My 3rd was at home.  My sister has has 3 babies so far as well.  Her labors have never gotten shorter and have always been between 6 and 8 hours, and all of hers were born in the same birth center.

My opinion is that it has more to do with comfort level as to how fast your labor will progress.  If you go into labor and get worked up about leaving or going somewhere else or are having anxiety about driving to the hopsital, that alone can make it long enough to get you where you need to go. 

So, it could be faster, or it could stay the same or it could get longer.  I have always heard that 3rd babies are unpredictable when it comes to labor and 4ths even more so.

CafeMom Tickers

Eternalchild
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM

My son had both of his hands on his face.  So when you think of how a baby is normally born, it's head first then shoulders and then hands and arms with body.  My son decided he was going to climb his way out, and had 1 hand over his eye and the other by his mouth at his chin.  Perhaps he thought he was too cute to risk his face during birth...lol.  So, I believe that my labor was the same as my first because he was presenting heads and hands and then his arms were above his shoulders.  It didn't hurt any more than a regular presentation and I didn't tear at all, but he was wider than just a head.  He is still, at 3.75 years old, an odd, do-it-my-way type of child.  LOL.

Quoting Paesana82:

Quoting Eternalchild:

I have had 3 babies...

Mommy to Mara (November 1999), Marty (March 2006), Chrissy (November 2008) and Baby ? due June 2010.

Eternalchild
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:09 PM

You might be surprised about how little blood there actually is.  My son was 2.5 when Chrissy was born, and he seemed to enjoy the experience.  I also don't do much screaming.  Screaming isn't as productive as a good low moan.  In fact, my mom, during Chrissy's birth, had to wake my kids up to be there at the birth.  We have raised our kids, though, around birth.  We do large family births with all family and children attending...brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.  In fact that was my biggest regret from my last birth that only my mom made it here in time because I didn't feel that I was in labor for the first 2 hours and then by the time my mom called me sister and told her to get here, she didn't have enough time to get her kids dressed and drive the 7 miles!  Our oldest ones have always enjoyed (from the time they were really young) to look over the placenta with the midwife.  As long as you don't present it to them as something bad or to be feared, they won't fear it.  In fact, young children (at least in my experience) tend to want to comfort the laboring woman. 

But if you are seriously uncomfortable with the idea, your body will probably stall long enough for you to get to your hospital.  Women are more like cats than they want to realize.  Mommy cats go and find themselves a dark, warm place to hid and don't tend to have their babies until they are in their "nest."  Cases of roadside birth or even true accidental homebirths tend to be more about fear of going to the hospital and not really listening to their bodies signals.  

Quoting Paesana82:

Aside from being nervous about something bad happening during pregnancy, I'm not really a nervous person when it comes to labor. So, even if it would happen at home, I don't think I'd be too freaked out about it, but I def want to be prepared...I mean if I'm alone and giving birth, my poor kids....I wouldn't want them to hear me screaming and see all the blood. I think they'd be kinda freaked out since they're so young. 

The hospital is only about 15min away, so it's not a big deal.....the thing is I'd need to wait for someone to take the kids and drive me.

Anyway, I'm just hoping the my birthing experience is just as nice as last time.

Paesana82
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM

LMAO...I can picture him, hands on his face, screaming NOOOOOOO!!! LOL.

Quoting Eternalchild:

My son had both of his hands on his face.  So when you think of how a baby is normally born, it's head first then shoulders and then hands and arms with body.  My son decided he was going to climb his way out, and had 1 hand over his eye and the other by his mouth at his chin.  Perhaps he thought he was too cute to risk his face during birth...lol.  So, I believe that my labor was the same as my first because he was presenting heads and hands and then his arms were above his shoulders.  It didn't hurt any more than a regular presentation and I didn't tear at all, but he was wider than just a head.  He is still, at 3.75 years old, an odd, do-it-my-way type of child.  LOL.

Quoting Paesana82:

Quoting Eternalchild:

I have had 3 babies...

CafeMom Tickers

Paesana82
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 4:33 PM

I didn't really scream, but when it came time to push, it was kinda like when you see people working out in the gym and they're grunting....LMAO....that was me, but louder.

That's great your DS was able to watch. I don't know....I feel like even if I explained it to my kids that they'd be freaked out. DS came with me when I got a vax one time and he totally freaked out, crying hysterical. I explained exactly what was going to happen,but he just doesn't like the idea of me being in pain. I am totally not planning on freaking them out about labir and birth like some people do, but I can't see DS not being scared....lol, just like his daddy.

I def know that  the whole big family being there isn't my thing. I like it just me and DH....even then when I was in transition I told him to go sit down in the chair because I just wanted to be alone. I don't know, I guess I just like to be by myself so I can just totally space out. I find it really interesting how different people are when it comes to birth. I really can't wait to see it next semester!

Quoting Eternalchild:

You might be surprised about how little blood there actually is.  My son was 2.5 when Chrissy was born, and he seemed to enjoy the experience.  I also don't do much screaming.  Screaming isn't as productive as a good low moan.  In fact, my mom, during Chrissy's birth, had to wake my kids up to be there at the birth.  We have raised our kids, though, around birth.  We do large family births with all family and children attending...brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.  In fact that was my biggest regret from my last birth that only my mom made it here in time because I didn't feel that I was in labor for the first 2 hours and then by the time my mom called me sister and told her to get here, she didn't have enough time to get her kids dressed and drive the 7 miles!  Our oldest ones have always enjoyed (from the time they were really young) to look over the placenta with the midwife.  As long as you don't present it to them as something bad or to be feared, they won't fear it.  In fact, young children (at least in my experience) tend to want to comfort the laboring woman. 

But if you are seriously uncomfortable with the idea, your body will probably stall long enough for you to get to your hospital.  Women are more like cats than they want to realize.  Mommy cats go and find themselves a dark, warm place to hid and don't tend to have their babies until they are in their "nest."  Cases of roadside birth or even true accidental homebirths tend to be more about fear of going to the hospital and not really listening to their bodies signals.  

Quoting Paesana82:

CafeMom Tickers

keagleton
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM

i have 4 kids. this will be baby #5. and i must not be one of the luky ones bc my labor and delevories we all about 23hours!!! not fair!

Pregnancy ticker

Jennah(4-23-03)Tanner(6-17-03)Logan(2-21-05)Maci(8-6-07)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)