Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

QOTD/W 1/18/09-exposures

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 232 Total Views

What is your position on taking medications during pregnancy?

Or what will you allow yourself to be exposed to while pregnant? i.e. smokers, painting, will you not pump your own gas, etc.?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Stefanie83
by Group Owner on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:03 PM

i was just thinking about this this afternoon--as i was pumping my own gas!  i got a whiff of the stuff and held my breath.  of course that's not good either!  ...so i do pump my own gas.  

with my first pregnancy we lived in a place where smoking was not allowed in public places.  now we live where smoking is allowed in many restaurants but we don't have enough money to ever go out to eat so that's ok  ;)  my MIL smokes but always always outside so that's not an issue at all. but if we did have money to go out to eat (lol) i would definitely want to go to one without smoking.  it's really hypocritical sounding i know but i do not like being around smoking at all unless i'm smoking too and that's only when i'm drinking.  which will not be anytime soon!

i am usually very hesitant to take medicines when i'm not pregnant, and i haven't taken any this pregnancy.  with my first pregnancy, i had a really bad cough and cold and my midwife said something (can't remember what) was safe to take.  i took half a dose one morning and that was it.  i just worried about it too much and didn't trust that it was safe.  

i honestly think many of them are safe during pregnancy but i never would want to take a lot unless it really was something horrible like horrible pain or something.  i just don't take any because i always have wanted to avoid medicines unless they really are necessary.

Eternalchild
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Honestly, I live my life while pregnant exactly as I do when I'm not pregnant.

I firmly believe that a little bit of alchohol here and there is fine.  Despite that I haven't had a drink in forever, even before I found out I was pregnant, and the only time I really do drink is when we go to the lake/hunting club, and I haven't had anything the last couple of times we were there which makes it so much more boring.  :)

I don't take medications when I'm not pregnant (except for the occassional ibuprofen), so I don't take them when I am, and I do mean that I do not take ibuprofen either.  

I do a lot of home improvement whether pregnant or not, and one of my last giant projects I was 7-8 months pregnant with my youngest, and honestly, my midwife said as long as I wasn't roofing, she was fine.  No problem with breaking into my walls, insulating, painting, etc. 

My husband is a chain smoker so I am never not around it. 

Like I said to begin with, I don't change my life when I'm pregnant. 

Mommy to Mara (November 1999), Marty (March 2006), Chrissy (November 2008) and Baby ? due June 2010.

mommytobobby
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM

i'm not a big drinker (haven't had a drink since new year's 08) and i'm not a smoker. my in-laws are, but when we come over, they go outside to smoke. and in tn, all restaurants are non-smoking. you can only smoke in bars that are 21 and up, even then some clubs still don't allow it. i don't see any problem in someone having the occasional drink while pregnant.

i don't paint while i'm pregnant. and that's just my choice. i hate the smell of it.

i do take tyelnol every now and then. i get very very bad migranes and i try to just take a nap to help it go away, but w/ a toddler and working at night, sometimes i do have to break down and take it. w/ my first pregnancy, i was taking neurontin for my headaches bc they were so bad (i started this about 6 months before becoming pregnant). i got myself off of it around 5 or 6 months into the pregnancy. my son is very healthy and very smart. and after that pregnancy, i haven't had any of those headaches.

i will pump my own gas, but i'm one of those people that the old people hate, bc i get in and out of my car. i actually had a man come up and tell me not to do that. i do it to keep my son entertained and plus it's been way too cold for me to stay outside.

i do change what i use to clean, just bc i hate most smells. i love the green collection. i use the all purpose cleaner and window cleaner. my hubby helps me out w/ the cleaning of the bathrooms. everytime i'm down at the toilet it makes me want to puke.

now i don't do this when not pregnant, but i don't wear my seatbelt. i've heard too many firemen and emt's say that they see more deaths w/ the seatbelt. also, i have a fear of being trapped in the car if something was to happen. i know, i know. i'm paranoid. but, it's just how i feel. (and i'm also the one pushing my dh to keep my son ERF, which he still is!)

gstaley
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 3:49 PM

The meds that I take during pregnancy is my pre-natal vitamins.

My DH is a smoker but, does it outside because we don't want our other kids around it.

Painting, I don't do anytime if I can avoid.

If I'm alone and need gas then I pump it otherwise, my DH does it.

I do a lot of salty foods, lunch meats, soft cheeses when I'm pregnancy but, that is it.

pregnancy week by week

Stefanie83
by Group Owner on Jan. 19, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Quoting gstaley:

I do a lot of salty foods, lunch meats, soft cheeses when I'm pregnancy but, that is it.

yeah i've been eating lunch meat too.  i try not to but i actually have been craving bologna which i usually don't eat at all.

thinline
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I was wondering about this because we just recently painted our kitchen and everyone I told about it seemed concerned that I even painted at all. Its not as if I put it in a paper sack and was walking around the house huffing it all day. All the windows and doors were open so everything was ventilated. It just amused me that people think that when you are pregnant you can't do anything.

Smokers I generally stay away from anyway because it grosses me out now. I used to smoke but now it makes me gag to even smell it. My husband will smoke now and then outside when he gets off of work, but he cleans up and uses mouthwash or otherwise I won't go near him.

I am not big on medicines to begin with so that doesn't change during pregnancy.  I too get crazy migraines but nothing ever helps them anyway so I don't see the point in taking meds. I just take a warm bath or uses hot compresses on my neck/head.

It amazes me though that some doctor's have women take certain meds during pregnancy when they don't know the effects it can have on a developing baby.  Especially when they would be fine without taking it.  I heard one doctor tell someone to take Benadryl to help with morning sickness??  That was the strangest thing I have ever heard.

Faithsmomma
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Quoting Stefanie83:

Quoting gstaley:

yeah i've been eating lunch meat too.  i try not to but i actually have been craving bologna which i usually don't eat at all.

I went to an orientation for the midwifery that I'm using for now and the nurse said absolutely no lunch meat unless you heat it until steaming... I asked about bologna and she said (with her nose in the air) you shouldn't be eating ANY processed meats... I (with a raised eyebrow) said well that simply wont work.  My craving is a bologna sandwich with dill pickles, mayo, mustard, cheese and peanutbutter it simply wont work if it's hot.... LOL Anyway, I'm eating pretty much what I want.  The only thing I really worry about is fish, because I live in the NW we have a higher level of mercury in our water and fish... there for higher incidences of autism.  Umm I don't paint unless it's non-toxic, but I'm that way when I'm not pregnant.  Ummm actually I was a single parent most of my pregnancy with my DD and decided then that sometimes you just have to do things like pump your own gas on your own.  This time the one I'm having a hard time with is the litter box.  It's just a nightmare to get someone else to clean out the litter box and clean the bathroom that it's in, (she's a messy cat).  So I wear a mask, and gloves.  LOL I forgot about the meds... Only regular strength tylonal, and that's if my back or head is killing me... I have asthma, so if I really need my inhaler I'll take that but it doesn't have steroids in it. But even that I'll only take if it's bad... Other than that nada...

Stefanie83
by Group Owner on Jan. 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM

me too, for some reason warmed lunch meats make me want to vomit this pregnancy.  i do worry because i know we are more susceptible to listeriosis but i don't worry too much i guess since i still eat the stuff ;)

Quoting Faithsmomma:

Quoting Stefanie83:

Quoting gstaley:

I went to an orientation for the midwifery that I'm using for now and the nurse said absolutely no lunch meat unless you heat it until steaming... I asked about bologna and she said (with her nose in the air) you shouldn't be eating ANY processed meats... I (with a raised eyebrow) said well that simply wont work.  My craving is a bologna sandwich with dill pickles, mayo, mustard, cheese and peanutbutter it simply wont work if it's hot.... LOL Anyway, I'm eating pretty much what I want.  The only thing I really worry about is fish, because I live in the NW we have a higher level of mercury in our water and fish... there for higher incidences of autism.  Umm I don't paint unless it's non-toxic, but I'm that way when I'm not pregnant.  Ummm actually I was a single parent most of my pregnancy with my DD and decided then that sometimes you just have to do things like pump your own gas on your own.  This time the one I'm having a hard time with is the litter box.  It's just a nightmare to get someone else to clean out the litter box and clean the bathroom that it's in, (she's a messy cat).  So I wear a mask, and gloves.  LOL I forgot about the meds... Only regular strength tylonal, and that's if my back or head is killing me... I have asthma, so if I really need my inhaler I'll take that but it doesn't have steroids in it. But even that I'll only take if it's bad... Other than that nada...

thinline
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I remember hearing once that the risk for listeriosis goes down if you have had the type/brand of processed meat before and it hasn't made you sick. I know that doesn't mean you can't get a bad batch but something to think about.  There is a local fast food place here that serves sub sandwiches(like Subway) and I craved them early on in the pregnancy. Never made me sick and I can't heat up the meat, it just doesn't taste the same.

I DID however get a little sick once eating soft serve ice cream from McDonald's (pre pregnancy)  so I won't go back there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)