• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

franklin is 95% weaned

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

i have mixed feelings but i think i am happy overall.  franklin is 2 years +3 months old.  he didn't nurse from like wednesday through saturday, and then he just did like 2 sucks on one side and that was it.  before this he has been nuring 1-3 times per day, but just for like 15 seconds.  my nipples have been really sore for the past few weeks & of course he notices that.  when he went like 4 days without nursing i was really surprised and figured he was done.  my husband is always saying i should wean him (been saying that for about a year), and he said that saturday and i said "well he actually hasn't nursed for 3 days and i'm not worried about it at all"  :)

i kind of didn't want to tandem nurse but i'm still wondering if he will want to nurse when baby comes but if things keep up like this he might lose his latching abilities right?  that might not be true at all but i have a friend who has twins that weaned while she was pregnant on their own (she thinks drop in supply or taste change, they were toddlers), and then when they tried to nurse when baby was born, they couldn't latch right.  ?

who knows, he may never nurse again.  i do feel kind of sad about it but also proud that he BFed for so long.  almost everyone in my family FFs, my mom BF all of us for a few months, and my sister BF her son for a few weeks.  so there's not any family support for extending BFing so *hoorah me*  have to pat myself on the back  ;)

here is my cute little boy at his bday party btw

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Eternalchild
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 2:01 PM

I think it is awesome you went as long as you did.  At least, you don't ever have to feel with Franklin that you pushed him to wean or, with him weaning now, him feeling replaced by the new baby kind of thing.  I would have loved to make it that long with Chrissy, but 3 months into this pregnancy, I was losing my mind and I am pretty sure my supply had completely dropped because I never had any issues after she went to milk.  I'm just glad I made it to a year with her.  I'm hopeful that with this one, we will make it until he or she self weans. 

You have done an awesome job!

Mommy to Mara (November 1999), Marty (March 2006), Chrissy (November 2008) and Baby ? due June 2010.

HamBergerMama
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM

That is awesome you made it that long! I hear ya on the sore nipples. Alex is weaning himself to a bottle :-( at only 8 mos. NOT what I wanted but he just doesn't get what he needs from me anymore. DH is talking like I will get pregnant this quick with the next one too. And while I am not opposed to that necessarily, I also want to be able to nurse the next one a lot longer than 8 mos.

I am just hoping to be able to keep up to at least once a day through Feb.

I  certainly admire you for keeping with it this long. :-)

baby

Kalia Brielle is on her way...pregnancy

TessaMommy
by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 9:14 PM

You have done wonderfully!  And it sounds like he is adjusting just fine.  It is so hard to see the little ones grow up, but they do anyway!  Great job, mama!

Pregnancy ticker

Stefanie83
by Group Owner on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM

thanks ladies!  i do think my supply might have dropped from the pregnancy but it's hard to tell because he wasn't nursing too much before that anyway.  i got pregnant right before he turned 2.  he didn't nurse yesterday either.

Stefanie83
by Group Owner on Jan. 28, 2010 at 9:19 AM

i just wanted to update that franklin has asked for his milkers the past 2 nights before bed, but each time pointed at my montgomery glands and said they are ouchies, and only did mini sucks.  i would say he hasn't latched on or gotten any milk for over a week now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)