Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Could I be dilating?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 275 Total Views

I know my body pretty well, and I can definitely feel changes in my cervix lately.  I have also have tons of braxton-hicks.  I will be 24 weeks on Friday.  I am thinking of asking my midwife to do an internal this week at our appointment.  Truthfully I'd rather not, but I can't decide.  Even if I am dilating a little is that a problem at this point?  I mean, obviously if I am it's a very small amount.  With this being a third pregnancy maybe my body is just saying "hey I know what I'm doing here!"  What do you all think?

Family Breastfeeding
attachment parenting bf,cs,bw,cding mom... midwife Photobucket
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by Group Owner on Apr. 19, 2010 at 2:30 PM

i'm sorry i really have no idea!

i've been debating whether i want to have cervical checks later in pregnancy.  i know there is a risk for infection, but i feel it's a tiny risk.  anyone know otherwise?  i also kind of would like to know if i'm like 3 cm, not because i would think i would go into labor soon, but so that i would know once labor began, i might not have too much time, since my hospital is over an hour away.

i really don't know but i would think it would be normal to be dilated like .5 cm from middle of pregnancy on... ?

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I probably wouldn't have them checking this early on, if this isn't your first you can be 1or2 cm dilated the whole time. Later on I will have checks starting at 36w, like PP said so I kinda know when I need to "not mess around" if something starts.

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:03 PM

If you're worried i would have your midwife check. For me I would take the small risk of infection over the risk of have a baby that premature. this is my third too and I'm having more braxton hicks than the first two but my cervix is still completely closed

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I think I will do what my midwife suggests.  I trust her.  She really wouldn't do something that she felt was unnecessary & she doesn't like to do too many internals.   I am not "at risk" at all.  I think I am just being sensitive & that things are happening sooner, or I am just more aware of them than in the past.  Thanks for weighing in.  I appreciate the support!

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I know with my first I was dialated to a 3 at 20 weeks, but I couldn't really tell. With my second, I was really hyper-aware of every little change in my body.

by on Apr. 24, 2010 at 1:59 AM

I just hit 26 weeks, and last week I was having contractions and felt pressure so I figured I'd check my cervix to make sure it was still long and closed.  IT wasn't I flipped, and called my midwife, had me go to the hospital for non stress testing, to check the baby and contractions and all.  A nurse checked me and said, that yes technically I had dialated and my cervix was softening, but because it's my 3rd pregnancy, it's with in normal ranges, the contractions stopped and everything, but I wanted to let you know that apparently it's very normal for your cervix to prepare itself early but knows that it's not Time yet...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)