Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yay for Breastfeeding!

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 203 Total Views

Here is a link to a blog that explains some new legislation in health care reform.

Reasonable Break Time for Nursing Mothers

by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gstaley
by on May. 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

That's great.

Eternalchild
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM

That is so awesome.  When I went back to work after my son was born, I was lucky enough to have very supportive bosses and co-workers.  Of course, they were ALL men!  I was told to kick them out of their offices whenever I needed to pump.  It was actually pretty creepy!  Other than other men's offices (I had an open cubical), the only place to pump was the bathroom, but there wasn't a plug in there.  I eventually gave up after making it 4 months because of the impracticality of the situation. 

I made it to 11 months with my daughter because I am a stay-at-home mom.  My milk nearly completely dried up and she started refuse to nurse at all after I was a few months pregnant with this one.  Since this is my last, I'm hopeful I can make it to 2 years at least.  I'm also kind of hoping Chrissy will decide to come back to nursing when this one is born.  I actually feel pretty bad for her loosing her food supply the way she did.

Mychele
by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:34 PM

I knew about this but when does it take affect ?

Photobucket

Photobucket
thinline
by on May. 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM

One source I looked up says this:

The law was effective immediately upon President Obama’s signing of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (March 23, 2010), however, the rules for enforcement have not yet been put in place. Breastfeeding employees should be assured that the Department of Labor is working swiftly to establish these rules, and should give their employers time to comply once those rules take effect.

Also found this:

C. Section 4207 Does Not Preempt More Employee-Friendly State Laws

Section 4207 does not preempt state law that provides greater protection to nursing mothers. Therefore, if the protections of the state law are greater than the protections of Section 4207, then employers must adhere to the more expansive state law provisions

Quoting Mychele:

I knew about this but when does it take affect ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)