Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infant carrier v. convertible? Sling? Help!! (piog)

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 287 Total Views

Poll

Question: Which one?

Options:

Carrier!

Convertible!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1

View Results

Hey everyone, I had an infant carrier with my son, who is now 14 months old, and I enjoyed being able to use it in other ways than just a car seat. Shopping, bringing him in the house without waking him, etc. He's now in a convertible (rear facing) and I'm due in early March for our next baby.

His carrier was in perfect condition and no where near expiring...but... our cat pee'd in it. Yeah. Gag. It stank to high heaven and nothing I did could fix it. So, it's gone.

So, now I'm looking into car seats again. lol. I'm tempted to just go with a convertible, since my son grew out of his carrier so fast, but I'm concerned I might miss the convenience of the carrier.

I'm also considering using a sling this time around. It was something I did before but never got around to. So this COULD make up for the fact that I don't have the carrier. Those of you that have used one, is it difficult to transfer a sleeping infant?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

by on Nov. 16, 2009 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Airforcewife86
by Group Owner on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:14 PM

i don't think carriers last long enough to justify how much they cost. if you plan on babywearing anyway i would go with convertable. my oldest could've made it til 1 in a carrier where as my youngest wouldn't have made it to 6 months. unless you have a very picky baby most will sleep through you transfering them or go back really easy. i love my maya wrap sling. i made made for under 20 and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. i still use it with both my boys 2yr and 10months.

How you know you're ready to be a mom: 
FEEDING TEST: Obtain a large plastic milk jug. Fill halfway with water. Suspend from the ceiling with a stout cord. Start the jug swinging. Try to insert spoonfuls of soggy cereal (such as Fruit Loops or Cheerios) into the mouth of the jug, while pretending to be an airplane. Now dump the contents of the jug on the floor.

For moms with kids under 2 yrs apart
http://www.cafemom.com/group/107747

brookelas
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Thanks. :) I think I've decided to go with the convertible, it just makes the most sense for me.

I'm planning on making my own sling, too. Right now I'm thinking ring sling, because I think with the way it works it'll be the easiest to convince the hubby to use it, though I've thought about doing a wrap, too.

clo1988
by on Nov. 20, 2009 at 3:31 PM

My first only made it to 3 1/2 months before he outgrew his carrier! My youngest is 8 weeks and already around 15 lbs so doesnt have much longer in it! As long as you dont have a tiny baby he/she should be able to fit fine in a convertible! (the strap slot has to be at or below the shoulders for rear facing!) The only reason Im using a carrier the second time around is because it still has 4 years before it expires! I use a sleepy wrap around the house and as soon as I put my son in it and start walking he is out ,so I wouldnt be too concerned about waking the baby!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)