Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well...

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 175 Total Views

My daughter's elementary school started the no peanut policy about 3 years ago.  A child was transferred from another school who had a peanut allergy.  Do you realize how many children in a school of 350 take pb&j sandwiches for lunch everyday?  ALOT!  We were sent letters telling us there was a child there who had a peanut allergy and asked not to send any kind of peanut product to school with our child.  Is that fair to 350 kids?  Most kids, especially kindergarten, won't eat anything but pb&j, plus parents spend tons of money each school year buying the Smucker's frozen pb&j sandwiches because they're convenient.  The school didn't want this child with the allergy singled out, but yet they put an allergy free table in the lunchroom, how much sense does that make when a cafeteria full of kids see's one child sitting at a table alone, that's really keeping it secret.

Now on to my other daughter's junior high story.  No notes have been sent home, no signs posted on doors or anything and she comes home last week and tells me that as she was eating her pb&j sandwich, the vice principal walks up and tells her to throw her sandwich away because there is a 7th grade student with a peanut allergy.  My daughter is in the 8th grade and the lunches are separate, 7th graders eat lunch first everyday, then 8th graders so there are no 7th grade students in the cafeteria during her lunch time and yet she's told to throw her sandwich away!  Now if that's not enough to tick you off! 

I am so blessed that my children do not have food allergies and I feel for the parents of children who do, but if a child is so dangerously allergic to nuts, should that child be in a public school?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)