Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Triggers.. What seems to trigger panic?

Posted by (Group Owner) on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 439 Total Views

It wasn't till about 2 months ago that knew that my panic attacks were triggered  by smells, mowing, sewing with the machine, or just everything the kids came home.

Once I found out what they were, I had to work on them.

What I found with my panic attack is that it came out of no where and it felt as if I were being choked by something. It was so scary! Of course because I didn't know what that feeling was I would change what I was doing, I would also call my mother or a friend. I would do alot of pacing. This would comfort me. All because of that panic I also developed fear.

Panic attacks...

Because there is no immediate or apparent external danger in a panic attack, you may tend to invent or attribute danger to the intense bodily sensations you're going thought. In the absence of any real life threatening situation your mind may misinterpret what's going on inside as being life threating. Your mind can quickly go through the following process? "If I feel this bad , I must be in some danger. If there is no apparent danger the danger must be inside of me. And so it's very common when undergoing pant to invent all of the following dangers.

Heart palpitations "I'm going to have a heart attack" or I 'm going to die.

Choking sensations " I'm going to stop breathing or suffocate"

Dizzy sensations" I'm going to pass out"

Disoreintatoin or feeling "not all there" I'm going crazy"

Now .. I know personally that I have felt at least 3 of the 4 of these. It's down right scary and if your alone, or with your children. It brings on such a HUGE state of fear.

Panic is caused by a sudden surge of adrenalin. If you can allow and float with the bodily reactions cause by this surge it will pass in 3 to 5 mins. If you feel panic coming on though you can one, move around from where you were, think of something postive, count to 10 over and over, focus on something in the room.

If you panic while driving, count how many seconds it takes for the light to change, or how many cars pass by you at a stop sign. Do anything that can get your mind off what you are feeling. ONe thing I have learned and been told over and over is PANIC ATTACKS cannot kill you!

So .. what are you triggers, and how do they make you feel?

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 3:28 PM

My biggest triggers seem to be if any of my children show any signs of being sick - espcially my four year old. I instantly fear the worst and start to panic.

Dannille33 Group Owner
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I get  the same way. After my daughter had a grandmall sezuire when she was 11 months old. I became very worried when she or my other children would get fevers or very sick.

She had to relearn things and now has disablities due to that sezuire. Those are things that run through my mind when the other get sick too .

So I can relate as well to that.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM

By the time I left my husband in 2003 , almost everything was a trigger. Loud noises , finances , something breaking, simple household repairs, the kids getting rowdy, frustration, ... at one point I had anywhere from 10 to 15 attacks a day . I basically went from one attack to the other. Triggers can be smells , sound ,  sights, or touch and sometimes emotions , if you can find your triggers it may lead you to the particular instance that caused it. And gives you more control of what you can do about them 

Dannille33 Group Owner
by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Your very right there... My therapist and I are now exploring what my triggers are. Of course I had a list that I knew set me off at time. Even feeling that feeling of nerves starting up.. like when the kids got home from school .. I would start to get upset.. to much stimulation .. it's like my body new every day between the hours of 4 and 9pm that all the kids would be home, and loud, and fighthing. So my body would tense up during those hours. ON the weekends it's always tense..

by on Oct. 30, 2009 at 3:07 PM

My biggest trigger is waiting for my kids to come out of school every day....I know it's silly but I sit in the car and my heart starts pounding before the bell even rings.  If they are delayed or held after for any reason I can  go into full panic mode pretty quickly with every crime drama scene going in my mind.  If I suddenly can't remember what they are wearing I really flip know in case they don't come out of school and I have to give a description to the police....

I know this is such an irrational fear and something must have put this thought in my head years ago. I have a 15 yo so it isn't so bad with her, but I still do it with my 11 yo and it annoys her so bad to see me storming into her school if she is a few minutes late. 

No idea how to get over this but it seems to stick with me the rest of the evening and anything can set me off again. 

Also, I get them just as I am drifting off to sleep sometimes.....especially if I do one of those half sleep body spasms (you all know what I mean here).  My heart just starts pounding and it takes quite a bit to shut my mind and body back down...those are just downright annoying.

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Hmm, I don'tknow what my triggers are, it always seems so random. The only thing that definitely makes me anxious is silence. I need constant noise around me. I even sleep with TV on. I have issues with bedtime, trying to be still and relax makes me have time to think too much and I get anxious. A lot of my attacks and anxiety are in the middle of the night when I wake up. Other than that I really can't think of any triggers cause it's just really random and "out of the blue", maybe I should log it and find a connection.

by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM

my biggest triggers are finances, visitors (especially in-laws), and having to make a decision (small things like a restaurant), but my biggest trigger is my hypoglycemia. when my blood sugar level drops too low i get shaky & have trouble concentrating...which always makes me worry im going to pass out which turns into a full blown panic attack. all my triggers make me feel the same way; mind races, i argue w/ myself, eyes start darting, & im convinced im going insane and i'll never come back. 

ive learned how to deal w/ most of them, but ive gotten a little compulsive about it too. i do a comprehensive budget down to the dollar that goes out 3-4 months. i make my DH keep in really good touch w/ his mom so she never surprises us w/ a 3 day stay w/ only a nights notice (again) & plan things out down to the minute. i had to tell ppl not to put me on the spot to make the decisions. and i keep glucose tablets in my bag so i can raise my blood sugar to a normal level w/in minutes. i also do this rocking chair motion while i chant "its going to be okay" & hug myself looks ridiculous but it works wonders!

the thing that i hate the most about my triggers, is that im always getting new ones! as soon as i control a trigger i somehow will gain another one.  

by on Nov. 15, 2009 at 10:52 PM

Seeing my ex in public (he likes to frequent the grocery store I work at, knowing it riles me up), finances, talking on the phone, knowing I have to leave the house for something other than work or going to my inlaws.

Magickal mother of two happy heathens, in love with a Viking warrior.

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 12:41 AM

I chant and rock too. chanting does help a bit.

Quoting okmanders:

. i also do this rocking chair motion while i chant "its going to be okay" & hug myself looks ridiculous but it works wonders!

by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 2:00 PM

My triggers tend to be when either when my house is disorganized or when it's situations I have no control over but wish I could in some way (finances, disagreements). Also, my newest one is arguing and screaming.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)