Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's not that long from now. I was asked how I was going to deal with my phobias

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 186 Total Views

Yesterday a coworker Chad.  Who also ended up in catering like me. Both us are bottom of the barrel in seniority.  Well I got more than him by like a month.  He asked me have I been practicing getting on the elevators.  No.  I told you I won't get on alone.  That when I go in the walk in fridge.  I always prop the door open.  So it won't close behind me.   I really don't know how I'm going to deal with this.  Based on my hours I was scheduled.  Maybe I will be lucky and there will always be people riding the elevators where I have to go.  I won't feel as scared on them.   This is affecting my life on the job.   Somehow I got to deal with this.  It's not going to be easy.    All these years I'd avoid the situation or just work around it by finding ways to get what needs to be to where it has to be without me on the elevators.  Someone said why did I pick this position.  I said I had no choice.  There were 2 catering positions open.  I could not say no.  Or I'd be out of work.  Since I did not sign for this position.  I don't think it's going to be permanent.  I think there will be something else later on.  Last time we bid for our jobs.  You signed on the contract for that position.  I did not sign nothing yet with the union.   I know I have to deal with this phobia at some point.  But in other ways.  I hope I get moved to something else.  Also this position.  My hours are variable.  Not liking that part.  I want something more set.  Something I can count on being the same week after week.  So if I want to plan an appointment somewhere.  I can safely pick a time when I normally would not be working. 

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Dannille33 Group Owner
by on Oct. 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Well my prayers go out to you. I am the same way with car washers that are automatic. One door always closes and it makes my heart race.

I hope you are able to work through this. I also hope they give you something more regular. It's good to plan out your day and not have it jumbled.

You in my  thoughts.. :)

pinkcoffeecup
by on Oct. 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Yesterday I had to ride on this big frieght elevator.  That thing is kind of old.  The doors open up and down.  We came back up from the basement storage area.  The door did not open all the way.  We had to push it the rest of the way open.  I panicked.   I didn't initially want to get on it.   It looked creepy inside to me.  Lucky me.  Won't have to ride it but rarely.  The regular elevators.  I was ok with someone with me. But alone.  I don't know if I will deal ok or not.  I'll find out next week when I work some parties alone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)