Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

---How 2 Play MUSIC videos---

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:17 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 915 Total Views
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Dave Barnes - God Gave Me You (HD Studio Piano Cover)

Revive - Blink (HD Studio Piano Cover)

level 1 Theme to Beethoven's Symphony No. 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU6cPBXqijs&feature=player_embedded

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Sep. 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM

VIOLIN LESSONS FOR THE BEGINNER - HOW TO PLAY AMAZING GRACE WITH VIBRATO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKrUkWSo4Ig

VIOLIN LESSONS FOR THE BEGINNER - HOW TO PLAY THE SWAN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYUxDr_xjfs&feature=related

HOW TO PLAY JESU JOY OF MANS DESIRING - ONLINE VIOLIN LESSONS - STRING CROSSING LESSON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrznLYwT_OQ&feature=related

Hey jude by The Beatles + lyrics

http://www.8notes.com/violin_sheet_music.asp?orderby=3&difficulty=2

Greensleeves

Gracia - William Tell Overture

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Oct. 20, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Levanto mis manos tutorial de piano

Levanto Mis Manos Tutorial (Request)

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Oct. 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Aprende a Como tocar las inversiones de los acordes en el piano musica cristiana

Clases de musica cristiana en piano (Cuan grande es El)

Tutorial Piano Lirico Cuan Grande es El

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Oct. 28, 2010 at 10:50 AM

http://www.hearandplay.com/pianocoursenew.html

Learning to instantaneously play any chord in all 12 keys (for beginners)...

Ok ... let's say you know how to play a C Major Chord (C + E + G). But what happens when someone asks you to play an F Major Chord or totally switches a song to another key?

...What do you do then? There's thousands of chords, voicings, and inversions out there and you definitely can't memorize every single one of them... but you can understand techniques and principles that will allow you to play any chord right off the top of your head (without practicing or memorizing it).

How's that?  Pay close attention:

Diagram A

Diagram B

Above, you will find the notes of the C major scale (Diagram A). Using a simple technique I will show you in my course, you can pick three notes from that scale to create a C major chord (Diagram B). "Wait ... you mean to tell me that it's that simple?"

Yes, it is.

Knowing this, all you would have to do is apply the same principle to all 12 major scales and you'll get all 12 major chords. Don't worry... I'll show you, step-by-step, how to form all 12 major and all 12 minor scales (and the chords that come from them).

This same procedure, as you will soon discover, can be used to learn virtually any chord:  minor seventh chords, dominant chords, diminished chords, augmented chords, ninth chords, eleventh chords, and more.

Here's a "cheat chart" to help you remember some of the easy chord formulas. Keep in mind that the numbers below come straight from the scale (e.g. - "the first tone of the scale equals 1... the second tone of the scale equals 2... the third tone of the scale equals 3, and so forth).

Every scale has its own set of numbers just like my example below...

C major scale  = C D E F G A B C
  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 same as 1

Now that you understand the "number" system, just use my "cheat chart" to play any chord you want.

Chord Type   free piano lessons at hearandplay.com   Easy Formula
Major Triad 1+3+5 of major scale!
Minor Triad 1+b3+5
Diminished Triad 1+b3+b5
Augmented Triad 1+3+#5
Major Seventh 1+3+5+7
Dominant Seventh 1+3+5+b7
Diminished Seventh 1+b3+b5+6
Minor Seventh 1+b3+5+b7
Major, Minor, and Dominant Ninth pgs 193-214
Major, Minor, and Dominant Eleventh pgs 215-220
Major, Minor, and Dominant Thirteenth pgs 220-227
Altered Chords pgs 228-240

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Oct. 28, 2010 at 10:56 AM

5 Core "Getting Started" Tips to Playing Piano by Ear
FOR BEGINNERS

Tip #1: Understand how music works

One of the biggest myths is that you don't have to understand music to play by ear. You just play. That is the furthest from the truth.

While there are a lot of "gifted" and talented musicians out there that have no idea what they are playing (...they just play by listening), this is not the way you want to be. At least if you can help it.

Believe it or not, understanding how scales are formed and how they create chords and progressions is one of the most important things you can learn.

(By the way, major scales are a series of seven unique notes played one after the other. They are the basis of what we call "major keys" and everything is based on them. Chords are three or more notes played at the same time. These are the combined sounds you hear in songs. Chord progressions are no more than chords going from one to the other... a series of chords played one after the other).

As you'll learn in "The Secrets to Playing Piano by Ear," scales basically create chords. Chords create progressions -and- progressions ultimately create the songs you hear! Understanding "how" and "why" is the difference between an average musician and a professional musician.

Tip #2: Master the patterns rather than memorizing stuff

I always get asked, "How do you memorize thousands of songs?"

The answer is I don't. I understand patterns.

A couple dozen songs may follow the same exact patterns --- so to a regular person, they think I know 36 songs but all I'm doing is playing the same pattern. Yes, the song may be in a different key (there are 12 keys but once you understand scales and patterns, you can instantly play ONE song in all TWELVE keys very easily). The song may have a different melody, but at the end of the day, it will almost always share the same chords and patterns as many other songs.

Tip #3: Learn to listen

Playing by ear is not reserved for geniuses. It's all about listening.

Do you hear tones going up? or down? Does a chord sound happy (perhaps its a major chord) or sad and serious (minor chord). Maybe it's a scary chord... spooky (diminished chord). How about a blues chord... very soulful-like (dominant chord).

See... all these chords have feelings attached to them. Those that play seamlessly what they hear and feel have simply learned how to unlock their ears. In "The Secrets to Playing Piano By Ear," there are many ways to build your listening skills.

Tip #4: Become a pro at recognizing intervals

"Intervals," in music, are distances between notes. As easy as that.

There are very small intervals out there like unison, seconds, and thirds and there are larger ones like fifths, sixths, and sevenths. These intervals actually help to name the chords that we play. When you say the name "major chord," you're actually referring to a particular interval in that chord that gives the chord its main sound quality. The same applies to minor and other chords.

There are different kinds of intervals: melodic and harmonic.

Melodic intervals are distances between single notes, played one after the other. Like "melodies."

Harmonic intervals are distances between notes played at the same time (i.e. - "chords").

Songs contain both melody and harmony (chords) so becoming a pro at recognizing these allows you to hear the stuff songs are made of! And if you can do that, then it's just a matter of putting this interval with that interval and you get chords and progressions. More on this later.

Tip #5: Practice and get some real-world experience

You can study, study, study all you want but it won't do you any good if you don't put what you learn into action. Of course, this sounds a little cliché but it's the truth.

Practice doesn't make perfect.

Perfect practice makes perfect. Make sure to practice the right stuff. I've learned in music (and practically in life) that:

1) You can do things right

2) You can do the right things

There's a difference. You can do things right... the WRONG things right. Focus on the right things and do THEM right and you'll get better fast. "The Secrets to Playing Piano by Ear" gives you a lot of things to practice (scales, modes, chords, progressions, harmonization techniques, etc.).

In the area of speed and finger independence, Hanon are great exercises. Focus on the right things and do them as best as you can, and you can't go wrong.

For 10 more tips from an e-mail I send out to new students, click here.

For intermediate advice, click here for 4 ways to get to the next level.

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Oct. 28, 2010 at 10:57 AM

"How to get to the next level..."

Ok, so maybe you took piano lessons when you were young and still remember some chords --- or better yet, you sound really good right now because some friends or fellow musicians have showed you how to play some songs. Perhaps you play the songs by memory but have no idea what's going on.

Or maybe you do know what's going on but you're limited in how many songs you can learn on your own. You've reached this glass ceiling and it doesn't seem like you can get passed it.

Regardless of where you are, we all want to get to the next level.

There are many things you want to master from the "intermediate" level. They are beyond the basics... yet not reserved only for the professionals.

1) Pattern Recognition:

I talked about this briefly in the "5 tips to getting started" article and it is very important on all levels. All songs follow various patterns.

"2-5-1" chord progressions, 6-2-5-1 turnarounds, opening progressions, and closing progressions are patterns that you eventually hear over and over in songs.

(Don't worry if you don't understand where the numbers come from, I'll talk more about this later).

But basically, certain patterns are used to begin songs... other patterns are used to close songs. If you're more on the beginner-intermediate side, then you probably struggle with determining patterns altogether. That is, being able to recognize them in songs.

If you're past this point, now it's a matter of what kind of patterns you're playing.

I heard this interesting saying once that said "you're the average of the 5 people you hang around the most." Now I certainly don't know if the actual specific number is spot on, but I do know that you're the average of the people you hang around the most.

I've found in the musician community... if you hang around professional-sounding musicians, eventually you'll catch on to their sound. Not only because you see the various chords, progressions, and "licks" and "tricks" they play, but because your ear gets used to hearing this enhanced way of playing.

See, most of the time... people can't get to the next level because they don't know personally what the next level sounds like. They don't have people around them playing that way, so it's hard to hear and pick out "next level" chords and progressions.

Trust me... there are tons of 2-5-1 progressions to end songs and you're probably only playing a good dozen of them. There are hundreds of ways to end songs. Some on the 1-2-3/A-B-C side and others on the ultra-advanced/professional side.

Your ability to recognize and pick out these chords depends on how much you're exposed to them. Pick up as many albums and study them... until you're sick and tired of them. Pick up courses and learn bits and pieces from them. Become committed to a life time of learning.

CON'T BELOW

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:00 AM

2) Number System:

Thinking in terms of numbers is very powerful. It's the universal language.

I can say play Cmajor11 but that only tells you one chord to play in a specific situation. But if I say, play the 1-chord of Ab, now we're talking about a systematic way to understand music.

Because every key has a 1-chord... (or the first tone/chord of the scale). Every key has a 2-chord, and so forth.

When you hear people say "2-5-1" progression, they are simply talking about a chord from the 2nd tone of the scale, "progressing" to a chord from the 5th tone of the scale, finally ending at a chord from the 1st tone of the scale.

So if you know your scales in a numerical way, you can play a "2-5-1" and any other pattern for that matter, in all 12 keys ---INSTANTLY!

3) Transposition:

"The Secrets to Playing Piano By Ear" talks about transposition in chapter 20. It basically means moving a song (or notes, scales, chords) to a different key. If you've messed around with any type of keyboard, you know that they feature a "transpose" function, which does this automatically for you.

Believe it or not, the keyboard "transpose" button is probably the #1 enemy to growth for a musician. Nowadays, a musician masters one good key like C major, and without ever having to think about another major key (or learn the chords of a new key), they simply hit the transpose button either up or down and it outputs their song in the new key. No effort... automatically.

So you get a lot of musicians out there who are "pros" on a keyboard but when it comes time to improvise on an acoustic piano or B3 organ with no transpose button, they break down. Don't be this way!

It's very easy to master all 12 keys. In fact, the number system helps you to do it. By simply knowing every scale in its numerical form (i.e. - C major scale as "C=1, D=2, E=3, F=4, G=5, A=6, B=7"), you can easily transpose songs in your head. If you're playing a 2-5-1 progression in the key of C (Dmin, G7, Cmaj7), the endings of those chords will ALWAYS remain the same in new major keys. That is, you'll always be going from some minor chord to some 7th chord to some major 7th chord in this example. The only thing that would change above is the keynote in front of the quality. So if D, G, and C are the 2, 5, and 1 of C, respectively, then just simply find the 2,5,1 of another key... transfer over the chord qualities ("min," "7," and "maj7") and there you have it!

In G major, a 2-5-1 is: Amin, D7, Gmaj7. It's that simple.

4) Ear-Training:

Like any sport, hobby, or activity, you must "condition" or develop the inner or outer body part that allows you to excel in whatever you're doing. For music, it's the hands/fingers and ears. Of course, there's some things in between but this is mainly where the next level lies. Just like any thing else, you can build your ear.

Training your ear to recognize both melodic and harmonic intervals is important.

Intervals you need to master include:

* Major/Minor Seconds

* Major/Minor Thirds

* Perfect Fourths

* Diminished / Augmented Fourths

* Perfect Fifths

* Diminished / Augmented Fifths

* Major/Minor Sixths

* Major/Minor Sevenths

All music features intervals like this... distances between notes basically. Intervals create scales. They also create chords and progressions. Using our software can help with this.

For 10 more tips from an e-mail I send out to new students, click here.

For advice for beginners, click here for 5 steps to getting started.

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Oct. 28, 2010 at 11:04 AM

"Advanced Musicians: The Learning Never Stops"

Ok, so you're advanced. Maybe you're an expert sight reader or you've been playing by ear for several years.

One thing is for certain...

You're reading this page so you definitely want to learn more or get to an even higher level in your playing!

There are a couple of things (out of many) that separate one musician from another.

One of them is the ability to improvise.

Being able to play on the spot is extremely important. This is everything from picking out chords to a song you just heard less than 2 minutes ago --- all the way to being able to solo effortlessly over a few chord changes!

Let's start with picking out a song.

Being able to learn a song a few minutes after you hear it comes with experience.

What it all amounts to, really, is something called "patterns."

That's all songs are --- patterns. And the good news is that the number of common patterns are finite. Yes, they can be arranged differently and some may sound trickier than others when placed differently (or unusually), but at the end of the day, once you've mastered the common ones, then there will be very little songs you won't be able to pick out in minutes.

The hard part is key mastery. Yes, it's easy to play like a pro in ONE key but you're not ultra-advanced until you can do ALL THE SAME STUFF  IN ALL 12 KEYS. If you can't, then there's lots of work still left to do.

The number "12" is the key to your success. Once you master a new chord progression (pattern), immediately learn it in all 12 keys because your ability to immediately improvise or pick out a song in minutes is directly dependent upon your knowledge of that pattern AND the key that it's being played in. You can know the pattern like the back of your hand but if you haven't rehearsed it in the key it's being played in, you'll slow yourself down and it will take much longer to learn that song than usual. Worse, if you're in a live performance or put "on the spot," you may ruin your reputation by not being able to follow along.

On the other hand, if you know a key really well but haven't mastered all the popular patterns out there, you're still stick. Focusing on learning new songs in different genres will help you to master a plethora of patterns. Once you find it easy to play virtually every song that you hear, this may be a good indication that you've gotten a handle on the most common patterns.

This is a guess-timation but if the pareto principle holds true here, 20% of patterns are responsible for 80% of the songs you play and hear. From my own experiences, this seems about right.

CONT BELOW

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)