Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

---Weaning my 4 year old---

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 177 Total Views

My youngest son who will be 5 in December has been done with breastfeeding for over 3 months now.  He breastfed for about 4 years and 6.5 months. 

I had planned on breastfeeding him for at least a year.  I never thought I would breastfeed for this long, but I am glad I did.  I thank God that he is pretty healthy and that he hardly gets sick.  (I'm sure it also has to do with the fact that I stopped vaccinating him at 4 months and that he's hardly ever taken any drugs.)

Well at first, I had wanted  him to self wean, but I felt that after 4 years, that I was ready to be done with breastfeeding. 

So what I did to help him along is:  I rubbed some garlic on my breast.  I did this one afternoon. He didn't want to breastfeed, but he wasn't upset about it.

That night, he really didn't want to breastfeed because of the garlic, yet I hadn't rubbed any more on.  He just held my hand to fall asleep.

Well, I kept on rubbing the garlic for about 3 more days.  And that is all it took for him to be completely weaned.  I couldn't believe how easy it had been.  I thought it was going to be really hard to wean him since he was older, but I thank God that it wasn't.  I told him many times how proud I was of him.

The first few weeks that he had stopped breastfeeding, he would playfully ask to breastfeed.    I would ask him if he wanted to breastfeed, but he kept himself from breastfeeding.

He would hug me and lay on my breast.  He would pretend to be breastfeeding.  At night, he still holds my hand to fall asleep.  His bed is next to mine.

I once told him to go to sleep and to not come out and that after my movie finished that I would go to sleep too, and he did just as I asked. 

My baby is growing up so fast.  : (  I wish I had been able to breastfeed my oldest longer than the 4 months that he breastfed.  I had gotten really sick when he was 4 months. A doctor gave me medicine, and told me that I couldn't breastfeed while on the medicine.  I would pump, and I had to throw so much milk away.  When I had stopped taking the medicine, I tried to breastfeed him again, but he didn't want to.

If I had known then what I know now, I would've given him pumped milk instead of formula.  If only it was possible to go back...

by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)