Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

---Is There a Link Between Autism and Antidepressants?---

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 225 Total Views

http://renegadehealth.com/blog/2011/08/01/is-there-a-link-between-autism-and-antidepressants/

Aug 1

Is There a Link Between Autism and Antidepressants? (Plus, Teflon Chemicals Linked to Arthritis) : Digest This! Health News You Need to Know

In today’s article, I also talk about what Hungary has done to their GMO corn crops. (Annmarie with a non-GMO corn stalk from Peru… you can chew the inside for a sweet snack!)

In this week’s “Digest This!” news column, we have more good news than bad…

First, is a link between autism and environmental factors which could shift the focus of scientists who study this disease (positive), second is a link between Teflon chemicals and arthritis (positive, because it will hopefully get more people to switch), and, finally, how Hungary is taking action on GMO crops and foods (again, positive!)

Let’s get started…

1. Unraveling the autism connection.

A study out of Stanford of 192 pairs of twins shows that genetics possibly account for 38% of the risk of autism while environmental factors account for 62%.

These pairs of twins were studied to see if there was a higher genetic component to the disease, since it would be expected that if one twin has autism, the other would be more susceptible.

What they found, though, was that more than 60% of the risk was associated with environmental factors.

In the study, there also was some evidence that antidepressants could have a role in autism rates as well. Mothers who took anti-depressants during the year (at some point) before birth had double the risk of having an autistic child.

The Good: What this means is that (as we know already) autism is an unnatural occurrence. Rates have increased dramatically over the last few decades to around 1% of all births or so (depending on where you get your info.)

This study also admits the potential fact that autism could be caused either during or after birth. This would be in line with the prevalent autism-vaccine science.

The Bad: The bad is that rates of autism have increased and until we identify what is causing it, they will continue to do so.

There’s really no time to wait around for non-unified scientists to figure it all out in a lab, we need to act now.

What this means: This means we need to eliminate some of the unnatural influences in our lives, before the scientists eventually tell us that they’re all bad (which we already can assume.)

This doesn’t mean to live in a bubble, it just means to remove chemicals, eat organics, reducing or eliminating the overuse of vaccines, reduce time with electronics, spend time outside, choose natural treatments over drugs, and in general maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I’m not 100% convinced that vaccines are the cause of autism, I don’t even think Dr. Andrew Wakefield – the scientist to break this news – is 100% sure either, but I am 100% convinced – whether it’s a specific change in genetics or introduction of new environmental factors as this study has found – that reducing chemical load and eating non-processed foods will reduce the chances of negative gene expression and disease – for you and your children.

As for the antidepressant connection, I wonder if it’s a chemical imbalance in the body that increases the risk or if it’s the chemicals in the drugs – something to think about.

The Link:

San Francisco Chronicle: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/07/04/MNG01K5FK7.DTL&tsp=1

by on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

2. Teflon chemicals linked to arthritis.

Scientists found a 40% increase of risk of arthritis in a study of 50,000 adults that had been drinking water contaminated with perfluorooctanoate (PFOA) and perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS).

These two chemicals are widely found in non-stick coatings.

The Good: We can use this research in conjunction with the evidence that birds die from Teflon fumes to create a pretty good argument that Teflon should be a thing of the past.

I’ve always liked using the bird argument, but it’s just harder for people to believe you if you don’t have an iPhone around to pull up the science. Believe me, I’ve tried it.

The Bad: The study doesn’t directly link out-gassing from the pans and arthritis.

What this means: It reconfirms that these chemicals are toxic and lessening exposure to them would be good common sense practice.

For the real scientific mind, this study won’t fly, since there’s no direct link between Teflon pans, cooking and arthritis, but I think the best way to explain why Teflon pans are bad to someone who you want to stop using them is to go this route:

“Don’t you think it makes sense – with the evidence here – that there’s something fishy with this stuff? I don’t know about you, but I’m not waiting around for science to prove something like this may be true or not.

“In this case, there are plenty of options that don’t have Teflon, so I think it makes sense to switch.”

Better options are: cast iron (non-nickel plated) and ceramic-coated.

The Links:

Yahoo Health: http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/us_teflon_component_linked_to_arthritis

American Journal of Epidemiology: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/06/27/aje.kwr107.abstract

EWG: http://www.ewg.org/node/21780

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Aug. 8, 2011 at 6:57 PM

3. Hungary destroys GMO crops.

The Hungarian government has destroyed about 1000 acres of GMO corn growing in its soil in it’s own fight against genetically modified foods.

The Good: It’s great to see a government body take sweeping action like this – in a positive way.

The Bad: There are still GMO seeds everywhere. Even in Hungary because of cross-contamination.

What this means: Some of you gave me a hard time about being disappointed with Whole Foods’ decision to take a hands off approach to GMO foods in this post (here.)

The reason I was disappointed is because they have the power to help shut down GMO production like Hungary has done here.

Of course, Whole Foods can’t destroy the millions of acres of GMO corn and soy in the U.S., but they can help curb the demand for it and work with other grocers to band together against GMOs. People and companies in power have more ability to make quick change – grassroots, while equally as powerful, takes longer.

Anyway, I am optimistic that we will see the end of GMO in the next few decades. It would just be nice to have our government and food suppliers behind us.

The Link:

Natural News: http://www.naturalnews.com/033098_Hungary_GMOs.html

I want to know your thoughts: What do you think about autism? Are you still using Teflon coated pans? Do you want to move to Hungary too?

Never Be Sick Again?

Find out if it’s true here…

http://www.renegadehealth.com/immunity/

Live Awesome!
Kev

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN