Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 298 Total Views
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
by Group Owner on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM

Can you be sure about anything?

Never before have men lived in such an uncertain age. Life on this planet is very uncertain. The international situation is uncertain. The economy is uncertain. Cancer and heart disease make good health uncertain. The world is in great agitation. Statesmen scan the future. All is uncertain.

Among young and old, hearts reach out to find something that is certain. Can you really be certain about anything? Yes, there are Four Great Certainties - four things you can be sure about.

1st Great Certainty - Death

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27

"Life is a constant and daily journey toward death. One after another dies, and the living must merely engage in the miserable business of carrying one another to the grave. All of us are traveling the same road together." - Luther

Death is appointed us, not as punishment for personal sins, but as the result of Adam's sin.

"Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:" Romans 5:12

"But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many." Romans 5:15

"For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive." 1 Corinthians 15:22

2nd Great Certainty - Judgment

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:" Hebrews 9:27

"But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ." Romans 14:10

·         Judgment beyond this life is only fair and right.

"Cheaters never prosper," you may say. But they often do. Honest Joe, Big-Hearted Ben, and Kind Kathy often get the worst end of the deal. The Bible acknowledges that this often happens here and now...

"All things have I seen in the days of my vanity: there is a just man that perisheth in his righteousness, and there is a wicked man that prolongeth his life in his wickedness." Ecclesiastes 7:15

"[[A Psalm of Asaph.]] Truly God is good to Israel, even to such as are of a clean heart. But as for me, my feet were almost gone; my steps had well nigh slipped. For I was envious at the foolish, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. For there are no bands in their death: but their strength is firm. They are not in trouble as other men; neither are they plagued like other men. Therefore pride compasseth them about as a chain; violence covereth them as a garment. Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish. They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily. They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth. Therefore his people return hither: and waters of a full cup are wrung out to them. And they say, How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High? Behold, these are the ungodly, who prosper in the world; they increase in riches. Verily I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocency. For all the day long have I been plagued, and chastened every morning. If I say, I will speak thus; behold, I should offend against the generation of thy children. When I thought to know this, it was too painful for me;" Psalm 73:1-16

"And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:" Hebrews 11:32-39

The Bible also tells us that we live in a universe where all accounts must finally be squared. A final judgment upon this life is certain. "Though a sinner do evil an hundred times, and his days be prolonged, yet surely I know that it shall be well with them that fear God, which fear before him:"

·         Judgment is before a law which is fair and just.

We shall be judged by a law which is "holy and just and good."

"So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty." James 2:12

The law knows no favorites. Judgment will be impartial.

"Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good." Romans 7:12

Human courts are not always fair, because they do not consider all the evidence. God's judgment will consider all the evidence - even the hidden motives and secrets of men's hearts.

"For there is no respect of persons with God. For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:" Romans 2:11-14

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment." Matthew 12:36

"Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God." 1 Corinthians 4:5

"Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel." Romans 2:15-16

Those who have hate in their hearts will be guilty of murder.

"Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him." 1 John 3:15

Those who have lustful thoughts will be guilty of adultery.

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart." Matthew 5:27, 28

All who bear grudges will be condemned.

"Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door." James 5:9

Everyone who fails to love God above everything, and his neighbor as himself, will stand guilty of being ungrateful and unjust.

"Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Matthew 22:37-39

We don't consider a man to be honest unless he is honest 100% of the time. Neither will the law of God consider a man to be righteous unless he is really righteous all the time.

"Blessed are they that keep judgment, and he that doeth righteousness at all times." Psalm 106:3

"For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." James 2:10

Any failure to come up to God's perfect standard is sin.

"Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law." 1 John 3:4

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48

·         Judgment will decree a punishment to fit the crime.

There will be degrees of punishment.

"And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:47, 48

The final end of all sinners is death.

"For the wages of sin is death;" Romans 6:23a

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Revelation 21:8

If you should die tonight, could your life stand the test of the judgment?

Do you realize that if you stand on the basis of how good you are or how well you have lived, your case is hopeless? The Bible says,

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:" Romans 3:10

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;" Romans 3:23

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away." Isaiah 64:6

Is it your desire to be found right with God so that you can face the judgment with confidence? If it is, there is good news for you! Let's consider the next great certainty.

by Group Owner on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation." Hebrews 9:27, 28

The good news of Jesus Christ is as certain as death and judgment. God loves you and wants you to know what He has done for you in and through His Son, Jesus Christ.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." John 3:16

Consider what this good news is:

·         The Son of God, who is our Creator and Judge took our place. On our behalf He met the just requirements of God's law.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." John 1:1-3

"For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:" John 5:22

First, He lived for us a sinless life - a life which fulfilled the law of God in every respect.

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." Matthew 5:17

"If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love." John 15:10

Second, He died for us and paid the penalty for our breaking the law of God. The Bible says...

"For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;" 1 Corinthians 15:3

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

His sacrifice on the cross was sufficient to save the whole world.

"And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world." 1John 2:2

·         Christ rose from the dead and commanded His followers to tell everyone the good news that forgiveness and eternal life are offered freely to all who repent and believe. In fact it is these glad tidings that produce repentance and faith by the hearing of the Gospel.

"And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem." Luke 24:47

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." Mark 16:15, 16

"But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name." John 20:31

"These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God." 1John 5:13

Repentance is acknowledging that we are sinners and being sorry for breaking God's law.

Faith is trusting wholly in Christ, who obeyed the law perfectly for us and died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins.

·         Because of what Christ has done for us, God is able to declare that we are fully in the right when we put our faith in Jesus. He can do this and still be just.

"Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." Romans 3:24-26

When Christ took our place, our sins were counted against Him and He was punished for them just as if He had committed them Himself. In the same way, when we believe on Jesus, His upright life is counted ours and we are rewarded just as if we had actually lived that wonderful life.

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:21

"For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, [Saying], Blessed [are] they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered."  Romans 4:3-7

"Therefore as by the offence of one [judgment came] upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one [the free gift came] upon all men unto justification of life. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous." Romans 5:18, 19

"He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward."Matthew 10:41

·         God begins to reward us for Christ's sake even now.

Although God accepts us as we are, He does not leave us as we are. When He puts Christ's sinless life to our credit, He not only declares that we are righteous, but He treats us as righteous. So -

He accepts us in His family as sons. 

"But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on his name:" John 1:12

He gives us the Holy Spirit.

"Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods." Galatians 4:6

He radically changes our lives so that we can live a new life of gratitude for God's love and respect for His law.

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him." 1John 5:1

"Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only [so], but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us." Romans 5:1-5

"But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not [in] the oldness of the letter." Romans 7:6

"For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:" Romans 7:22

"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. For to be carnally minded [is] death; but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace. Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be." Romans 8:3-7

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." 1John 2:4

Psalm 119:1-176 (too much text to place)

Do you realize that with His Son, God gives you everything? This is what Romans 8:32 says!

Do you realize that believing on Christ puts you on God's side? With Him you can face anything.

"Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What shall we then say to these things? If God [be] for us, who [can be] against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? [It is] God that justifieth. Who [is] he that condemneth? [It is] Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? [shall] tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:30-39

When you are right with God, then you can look forward to the 4th Great Certainty with joy and confidence. Perhaps you already anticipate what that final certainty is.

by Group Owner on Aug. 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM

"And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation." Hebrews 9:27, 28

It is certain that Christ "will appear a second time." He said, "I will come again..." John 14:3. History has an appointed end. Christ will come "with power and great glory" and wind up the affairs of this old world.

"And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory." Matthew 24:30

"In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;" 2 Thessalonians 1: 8, 9

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;"    Titus 2:13

Believers are not yet perfect or wholly without sin.

"Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." Philippians 3:12-14

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." 1John 1:8

In their present frail, mortal state, they must fight against sin, suffer, and wait for their salvation to be openly disclosed.

"The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. For the earnest expectation of the creature waiteth for the manifestation of the sons of God. For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope, Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body. For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it." Romans 8:16-25

The present comfort of the Spirit is only the "first fruits," or "down payment" of their immortal inheritance.

"And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body." Romans 8:23

"In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory." Ephesians 1:13, 14

When Christ comes...

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality." 1 Corinthians 15:52, 53

"And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away." Revelation 21:3, 4

·         The sure and certain hope of Christ's coming inspires believers to live blameless lives.

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;" Titus 2:11-13

"And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure." 1John 3:3

An Invitation:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9

We invite you to know the joy and peace that comes by believing the message of Christ.

"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Romans 15:13

When faith brings you into fellowship with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, you will want to have fellowship with those of "like precious faith." Make contact with other Christians who love the Word of God.

4TH CERTAINTY                  WILL APPEAR A SECOND TIME, NOT TO DEAL WITH SIN BUT TO SAVE THOSE WHO ARE EAGERLY WAITING FOR HIM."                                                                                       HEBREWS 9:27, 28

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)