Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

---Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge---

Posted by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 151 Total Views

m

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #1

I told you last Thursday we'd be kicking off a new challenge series and I'm just giddy with how much fun we are going to have with these. Drum roll please (imagine me drumming my hands on my laptop): here is the Indulge Yourself Challenge!

Every Thursday, we are throwing out ideas to do, to buy, to read that will allow you to treat yourself, indulge in a little "me time" or with things that will make your life easier -- and still keep that Family Piggy Bank in check.

The Indulge Yourself Challenge #1, in keeping with the beauty theme, is all about nails. Nothing makes this mama type a little sassier than when she has her nails painted. And with warmer temps come cute sandals, which means toes peeping out.

But, I'm not one to go to a salon and drop cash on something I can do at home...and that may not last very long. Between bath time and doing dishes and cleaning bathrooms, polish gets chipped faster than Rainbow Dash can fly around Ponyville (can you tell we are a My Little Pony house?).

So, what do I do? I give myself a glamorous mani-pedi at home. Indulge Yourself Challenge #1 is for you to do the same. Turn on American Idol, pour yourself a cup of tea (or vino), and paint those fingers and toes...and feel good about the $20 or $30 you are saving while treating yourself to a little indulgence!

A few hints:

-- Have the tools. Grab emery boards, clippers, cuticle pusher doohickey, as well as nail polish remover, q-tips and such. I love the little toe separator thingies.

-- Stock up on colors. You never know what mood you will be in. The other great thing about doing it at home: you can change it so easily. They make great shades in small little bottles, so it makes it simple to have a variety on hand.

-- Don't skimp on the dry time or how many coats. The key for a good-looking, at-home manicure is letting each coat dry completely before applying the next.

-- Get a good top coat. A clear top coat helps the nail polish last longer and gives a perfect sheen to any color.

What is your favorite shade of nail polish? is it different for your toe nails or your fingernails? Take pics and share how you completed Indulge Yourself Challenge #1!

©iStockphoto.com/ focus35

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Apr. 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #2

Okay, I promised back on Tuesday that I would give you the number one thing you need in your kitchen. The one thing you should treat yourself to and change your life. You thought that crock pot made cute woodland animals appear and provide a soundtrack for your dinner-making? This item will cause a rainbow to permanently arch over the doorway of your kitchen and fairies will tie your apron, people.

So what is it? Before I tell you, think, for a moment, of your utensil drawer. Picture that spice shelf. Or, take a deep breath, imagine where all of your Tupperware is. Do you wrestle with getting the drawers open and closed? Do you stand out of the way as the avalanche of plastic lids tumble out of the cupboard every time you open it?

Yes, the thing that will change your life is an organization thingamagjig (actually a few of them)! Think shelf dividers, lid separators, drawer inserts! For this, the Indulge Yourself Challenge #2, go forth and buy some helpers to keep those areas organized. This is a life-changer and Family Piggy Bank mantra -- being organized is the key to almost anything...and now, it is an indulgence you need to treat yourself to! A few of my favorites:

Madesmart Utensil Tray -- Designed specifically for those big whisks and spatulas that never seem to fit in the regular silverware tray. Ideal. A must-buy.

Tray Divider -- You can use this for baking sheets and lids and lots of things that seem to shift around when you aren't looking.

Wall Rack -- Use that unused space in the pantry. Hang your spices, extra condiments, all of it on the door and never not know where the cloves are!

What is the place in the kitchen you need to organize? What do you need to make life easier?

©iStockphoto.com/Warchi

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #3

Ah, it is Thursday again...how I love Thursdays! Time for Indulge Yourself Challenge #3. Can you guess what it is? We've been talking about clothes all week. Sadly, I can't tell you all to go and buy that $150 cashmere sweater, but what I can do is suggest something that will help you decide what to splurge on: advice from the professionals, the people who, as part of their daily work, tell people what to wear and what not to wear.

A few years ago, I wrote an article on getting my closet made over by some professional restylists (I adore my FairyGodModels Beckie and Martina!) and I have to tell you, their professional, trained eyes saw my clothes and me in a specific way, a way I never would have been able to do on my own. It was invaluable...and we can all treat ourselves to that via some great books on building that wardrobe and finding your style.

So for this Indulge Yourself Challenge #3, I have some awesome reads that you should go get and treat yourself to a makeover!

Tim Gunn: A Guide to Quality, Taste and Style (Tim Gunn's Guide to Style) by Tim Gunn. I've mentioned many times my love for Tim Gunn. Mentor from Project Runway and all around fashion genius. Not only does he give hints on how to "make it work" with clothes you have, he offers amazing insight into how to examine your life and your body to achieve your ideal look.

Dress Your Best: The Complete Guide to Finding the Style That's Right for Your Body by Clinton Kelly and Stacy London. Yes, the guy-gal duo from TLC's What Not To Wear give their advice on everything fashion-y. Practical know-how you can apply to your body, how to embrace your flaws (we all have them!), and what to remember when you are shopping are in this fabulous book.

The Lucky Shopping Manual: Building and Improving Your Wardrobe Piece by Piece by Andrea Linett and Kim France. From the gurus that give us all ideas every month in Lucky Magazine, this guide breaks down specifics of the classic must-haves for your wardrobe (for every budget) and how to get double-duty use of items you already may own.

Do you read fashion books? How about fashion magazines? Tell us your favorite makeover shows!

©iStockphoto.com/ coverdale84

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on May. 21, 2012 at 9:15 AM

b

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on May. 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #5

How's the week been so far? Again, Thursday is upon us. The first Thursday in May. My first Thursday in my new decade (no, I promise I won't document every Thursday this year). Thursday always mean my Thursday Thrifty Throwdown, and we are still in the Indulge Yourself Challenge! It's exciting! Number 5, baby! What is on tap?

Well, how about cool things I found for under $20. Seriously, with Mother's Day just around the corner, forward this list to those special someones that will, perhaps, be purchasing you a little trinket. Or maybe you are like my house, where I get it for myself and tell him, "This is what you bought me!"

Wake Up Wonderful - Check out this awesome mug on Zinnia Pea's site on Etsy. With an inspiring, fiery quote from Marilyn Monroe, it is perfect to kick off your day.

Look Into The Crystal Ball - Get the fun fortune without having to order moo shu pork and that egg roll (too many calories let alone a huge amount of sodium). This little book has a fortune a day for you. A fun thing to read at Family dinner or on the way to school for good convos with the kids.

Not Your Usual Mommy Necklace - Forget the little disc with initials. I am so digging these mini steel dog tags. Chic yet a little edgy, put down kids' names, their initials or birthdates.

Tote in Style (while being Eco-friendly) - From Craft Culture on Etsy, this all-recycled organic cotton tote bag with ohsochic peacock feathers are the perfect way to lug snacks, water bottles and your Kindle to the baseball game.

Little Black (and White) Bangles - Classic black and white resin bangles can add a new look to that old sweater-white shirt-jeans combo outfit. Not into black and white? Mango also offers them in a variety of hues.

What's the best thing you got (or was given) for under $20?

©iStockphoto.com/ ISerg

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on May. 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #6

Mother's Day is all about indulging Mom...which means we get to treat ourselves, have "our day" so to speak. Have you thought about what you want to do on your day?

It is Indulge Yourself Challenge #6 and for this one, I want us all to stop and really think about what we want to do Sunday. Do you want to dress up and head to a lovely brunch? Do you want to stay in bed and nap all day? The main thing to remember is there is no one way to celebrate Mother's Day, there is no one correct way to indulge yourself...and any way you choose is right for you. But give yourself permission to assert what you want.

Me? It is kind of funny. I talk with lots of moms who go off for spa days or the like...I just like hanging with the one that, well, makes me a mom. I love spending Mother's Day with my daughter (and yes, my husband is there too). Nothing really out of the ordinary, playing, hanging out. I find myself on Mother's Day trying to say "yes" more to what she asks....which always reminds me how fun being a mom can be...as so often we focus on the hard, tough parts.

So, maybe, indulge yourself by saying yes on Mother's Day -- yes to what you want to do to treat yourself, yes to your kids, yes to all of the great things that comes with being a mom.

How are you going to spend Mother's Day?

JCTVCBN
by Group Owner on May. 21, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Thursday Thrifty Throwdown: Indulge Yourself Challenge #7

Ohhh, Thurs-day, la di da! Indulge Yourself Challenge #7, cha cha cha! I'm doing the happy dance because I love making people get inspired, indulge in their dreams, and save money at the same time. Really...you can do it. Here are some fantastic ways:

Read a book. Go to the library, head to Amazon or Barnes and Noble and read about your dream. Say you are a baker. There are a bunch of books on how to create a website to get your business to the masses, as well as manuals on creating business plans.

Email the experts. Don't be afraid to reach out to people in your business or doing what you want to do. Say you are a jewelry maker or a embroider. Head to Etsy, see what people are doing similar types of products and email them. Say you admire what they do and ask how they got started. Admit you are looking for advice...you would be surprised how many people will give it to you.

Join an organization and go to the meetings and conferences. There are tons of societies out there for women in any area of business, and they often host expert speakers that are knowledgeable and helpful. Do some Internet research and find those talks in your area or nearby. Say you want to start your own blog? There are great meetings that BlogHer and others organize to help everyone, no matter your skill level. Get inspired to make that dream happen.

How do you stay inspired? What do you do to indulge that big life dream?

©iStockphoto.com/ AnsonLu

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)