Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TOTD 11/12: Going Green

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM
  • 12 Replies

How green is your household? What do you do to help save the environment or make the world a better place for you and others to live in? Why do you do the things you do?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe Robin
by Head Admin on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Well, we recycle our bottles, cans and cardboard...  and we started buying those new lightbulbs. 

I try not to turn the heat up too high (we usually leave it around 65) and  I try to teach my kids (and dh) to turn off the lights and tv when they're leaving a room... 

I should do a lot more...  any ideas/suggestions for me:)

changing light bulb    holding cloth bagrecycling sweetpea

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Nov. 12, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Robin, I could give lots of suggestions, but I think it would be easier if I listed things that we do. My DH is very into the green movement and we have done a ton of things to get us there:

1) Installation of a 45 panel solar system on our roof.
2) Use all CFLs and some LEDs in our lights.
3) Utilize the program function on our thermostat.
4) installed motion sensors on some of our lights so they go on and off as we enter and leave the room.
5) recycle our plastic (be careful here, not all plastic is recyclable...usually the #1 and #2 plastics are the most taken, but #3 and up may not be...you have to check with your town. Our Whole foods takes #5 plastics), store bags (you can check for the # on these bags and if they are a #1 or 2, throw them into your recycling bin), paper, glass.
6) Compost - we have four composters. Two large ones in our backyard, one in our basement (a worm composter) and a dog poop one in the backyard.
7) Balloon for our chimeny flu
8) Insulated all our heating pipes in the basement and we are working on the air conditioning ducts, as well
9) Turn off all vampire power when not in use (unplug your coffee pot if it has a clock, same with your toaster...these use power).
10) Signed up for renewable energy through our energy company (all our energy from the grid comes from renewable sources such as wind power instead of coal).
11) Garden during the summer to meet our veggie needs
12) Buying certain things organic
13) Using reusable cotton grocery bags
14) Bringing my own fork, spoon, etc. to work
15) Using environmentally friendly laundry detergent, dish detergent, dishwasher detergent, soaps and shampoos
16) Washing all clothes on cold water (when possible...we have to use hot when we are washing our cloth inserts for our diapers).
17) Using gDiapers with our newest baby
18) Rain barrels for a water collection system. We did not use any water from our hose to water our plants this summer, it all came from the water we collected. We have 5 55gallon barrels that catch rainwater from our gutters.
19) Installed a new 1.2gal flush toilet in our downstairs bathroom and dual flushers on our two bathroom toilets upstairs. Bought a kit from United Water for $15 to make our shower heads and sinks low flow.
20) Started using compostable/washable sponges and cloths instead of regular sponges and paper towels.

I am sure there is more. We have done a lot. I would be happy to give anyone tips if they would like some. I have read several books about this subject as has my DH.

Sorry this is so long.

Lilypie

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

ThinkPink23
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM

wow...that is awesome!!! I'm sad to say all we really do is recycle....:( though we do garden in the summer for most of our veggie needs.....

we share a home with my parents for the time being so our efforts are quite minimal..because they have their own ways about things...

we buy from farmer's markets in the spring and summer (though i don't know if that really counts as being green) we reuse all our plastic bags (from walmart, target etc..) i use the reuseable bags when i go shopping...

i also try to get everyone to turn the lights off when not in use or to unplug the things they aren't using... 

:

Join us on

The New Jersey Moms Group!
     NJ Moms Group Mod

LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM

The only thing we do green in our house is recyle.

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Quoting ThinkPink23:

wow...that is awesome!!! I'm sad to say all we really do is recycle....:( though we do garden in the summer for most of our veggie needs..... Two very green efforts!

we share a home with my parents for the time being so our efforts are quite minimal..because they have their own ways about things... You could probably incorporate stuff into their house that would not seem any different to them. Also, going green can be money saving, so this is always a great angle to come from.

we buy from farmer's markets in the spring and summer (though i don't know if that really counts as being green)  yes it does. you are using local products instead of products that are being shipped to your area. This cuts down on carbon waste from use of gasoline and such. Go you! we reuse all our plastic bags (from walmart, target etc..) i use the reuseable bags when i go shopping... Totally green! You are off to a great start.

i also try to get everyone to turn the lights off when not in use or to unplug the things they aren't using... Another great effort! You are doing more than you think!

Lilypie

mrsJLA
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Lets see... Our cars are hybrids (Prius and Ford Escape hybrid). We recycle (plastics/glass/ paper).  We reuse as much as possible. Since we have cats/dog, we reuse plastic shopping bags (or any shopping bags we get while out) for biowaste (lol). Can't compost b/c we live in a townhouse/condo development... DH also likes to recycle furniture (either refinish it or find new ways to use it) - we hate letting that stuff go to waste. Our appliances are energy star. We buy those new energy efficient lightbulbs. We keep our heat down and don't leave lights on. We shop local farmers markets... that is all I can think of for now.

Join us on

NJ Moms Group Mod

Habibti812
by Joni on Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Let's see...

First and foremost- I Breastfeed my kids!!! lol Isn't that the most envoironmentally friendly way to feed!! No formula containers to throw away and no bottels in our house at all!

We cloth diaper

We recycle

We reuse everything we can

I try to use as many "Green" cleaners as I can

We use energy saving bulbs

aaand.. That's all I can think of for now :-)

Proud Momma to the prince and princess (My Syrastinians). VERY proud BF'ing, Co-Sleeping, Baby wearing Anti Spanking, No CIO Momma!

fourkidssoon
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I am very inspired by what you all are doing.

We do the typical stuff - recycle, turn everything off, etc - but there is so much we can all do.

how does it ever turn into enough people that it will really make a difference in the environment?

mrsJLA
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM

That is enviro-friendly ... add that to my list too lol.

Quoting Habibti812:

Let's see...

First and foremost- I Breastfeed my kids!!! lol Isn't that the most envoironmentally friendly way to feed!! No formula containers to throw away and no bottels in our house at all!

Join us on

NJ Moms Group Mod

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Nov. 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Not sure when it is enough, but you just do what you CAN do. Ed Begley Jr is a big greenguy and he wrote a book "Living Like Ed". I suggest anyone who wants to read it try it out. He talks about doing what we can do personally b/c any little thing you do can make a difference. And if enough people do that little thing, it can make a great impact.

Quoting fourkidssoon:

I am very inspired by what you all are doing.

We do the typical stuff - recycle, turn everything off, etc - but there is so much we can all do.

how does it ever turn into enough people that it will really make a difference in the environment?

Lilypie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)