Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TOTD 12/1: Keeping Warm

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:40 AM
  • 8 Replies

What do you do to keep warm during the winter? How warm is your home? Do you have a fire place? Do you wear sweaters and such indoors? Do you wear gloves and a hat outdoors?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 5:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Habibti812
by Joni on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:05 AM

I generally keep our heat on really high in the winter. I like it really warm lol. So I can wear whatever I want inside. We do have a fire place but it throws off NO heat. It's just for ambience I suppose.. We do a fire in it once in awhile because it does look nice- but it's not a sufficient source of heat. Unfortunately. IT would save us so much money if we had a wood burning stove!! If we weren't trying to sell our house I'd totally invest in one!

Proud Momma to the prince and princess (My Syrastinians). VERY proud BF'ing, Co-Sleeping, Baby wearing Anti Spanking, No CIO Momma!

ThinkPink23
by on Dec. 1, 2009 at 8:22 AM

We tend to keep our heat around 73...we have two faux fireplaces (they burn propane) that we turn on around the holidays...or every now and then...they do give off a pretty good amount of heat (surprisingly)...i pretty much always wear a sweater or long sleeve shirt in the house...(we live in an older house--that we share with my parents at the moment..so there are some drafts...) but i am ALWAYS cold anyway..lol...outside i will wear gloves..but not really a hat unless we go outside to play in the snow...or something of the sort..i make my daughter wear a hat and gloves if we are going anywhere's that she will be outside for more than a couple minutes...etc...she hates it..but oh well..i guess i am doing something right then...lol

LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:37 AM

We have our heat set at around 70 and when I go outside I wear a high coat but no gloves or hat because they my head and hands sweat.

mhmomma
by Becky on Dec. 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM

My heat is set at 66 most of the time.  I tend to wear the norm for winter when in the house.  Jeans, shirt and sweatshirt.  My son wears nothing but UNDERWEAR at home.  He puts clothes on when we go out but rips them off as soon as we walk in the house.  LOL  My daughter wears the normal clothes when home except no socks.  When we go out I try to bundle but the kids are never really cold so I don't force it.  My husband and I aren't bothered by the cold so I guess our kids followed suit.  LOL

We are looking into getting a pellet stove so we don't have to use our oil as much.  Getting a little pricey to run furnace.

Sunshine201
by Member on Dec. 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM

I usually keep the heat around 73...But we did install a woodburning stove this year and will be using it quite often! It blows out some serious heat... we have been keeping the thermostat around 67 now...

melliesmom1207
by on Dec. 2, 2009 at 12:34 AM

We keep our heat at 66-67. We have one of those electric fireplaces and we run that during the day and it keeps out apt around 71-72 so our regular heat never kicks on. It will stay around this temp most of the night. We also put plastic over our windows to keep the cold air from coming in.  I hate lots of clothing I usually wear short sleeve shirts and fleece pants indoors and I hate hats so I dont wear them, but I do wear gloves outside because I hate my hands being cold. I love playing in the snow!!!!

Happ-eToBme
by Member on Dec. 2, 2009 at 4:21 AM

Quoting Habibti812:

I generally keep our heat on really high in the winter. I like it really warm lol. So I can wear whatever I want inside.

Us too. Ppl. complain in winter when they come over because they have tons of clothes on & our house is at like 75 or more...lol.

When I go out it depends how cold it is I usually wear my boots which are fuzzy on the inside so I don't need to wear socks (if  I do I'd be super hot), I wear reg. clothes then a sweater or sweat shirt, big coat, scarf, & possibly gloves.

I have really low blood presure & it was explained to me that because of it I'm more sensative to the cold.

I don't know how true that is but I do know that when it's real cold out like 20 degrees or so I tremble so hard I can't even talk, I can barely think.

I won't even know what I'm saying, It's almost like I shut down. So I have to keep warm. It's a must...lol.

BJoan
by on Dec. 3, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I keep it cool....usually around mid-60's. I bump it up a bit if my nose gets cold.....or if my guests complain! We are comfortable at this temperature and I get way too hot, especially at night, if it is even close to 70 in my house.  Outside---I wear a coat and gloves for sure if it is cold outside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)