Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School closings and delayed openings...

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:04 AM
  • 6 Replies

I work. So, if my kids' schools close, I have to take a sick or DH has to b/c we don't have anyone that lives close to us to just drop them off easily. We also don't know any of the moms from my oldest son's class, so that makes it difficult if there is someone who is willing to watch him for the day.

What do those of you who work do if the school closes or there is a delayed opening?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Habibti812
by Joni on Dec. 14, 2009 at 7:32 AM

I don' twork- but your post reminded me to check for delayed opening today since all of that ice we had! LOL

Proud Momma to the prince and princess (My Syrastinians). VERY proud BF'ing, Co-Sleeping, Baby wearing Anti Spanking, No CIO Momma!

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Dec. 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Glad I could help. You know, you can sign up on FoxNews to have alerts sent to your email about school closings. That is what gave me the idea to write this today, I got an alert in my inbox.

Quoting Habibti812:

I don' twork- but your post reminded me to check for delayed opening today since all of that ice we had! LOL

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:11 PM

My son's at school age yet but when there are school delayed or closing I will watch my friends kids for them or take them to the bus stop when school does open up.

dottieanna29
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I'm also a SAHM since my two youngest are not yet school-age but I did work full time from when my oldest was 7 weeks old until she was 11 (which was when my next child was born).  I remember the crazy hassles of trying to figure out what to do.  I used to live in Hopatcong and commute to Parsippany.  Parsippany would have nothing or just rain, while Hopatcong would have 3 feet of snow.  I'd call work and they would think I was nuts.

Basically, I would save all my sick time and most of my vacation/personal time to cover my dd's sick, snow and school closed days.  I did have a job for about 4 years that used to let us bring kids in to work (not sick but when school was closed).  We would set up a vcr in a conference room, order them lunch and take turns checking on them.  Usually there were at least a couple of kids old enough to keep an eye on the younger ones.

Dorothy - Mommy to Stef, George jr and Vicki
my new blog:  www.dottiesuniverse.blogspot.com

Mikeybsmom2006
by Member on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:18 PM

My work will allow me to use my sick time if I run out of personal or comp days, but my hubby doesn't get paid if he doesn't work so it is always me. Also my kids aren't even in school yet, but his daycare goes by the elementary school down the street.

Habibti812
by Joni on Dec. 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

That's a good idea- I will check it out! I usually check the local radio stations website- No delayed opening today! I didn't realize hwo BEAUTIFUL it was outside! it was near 40 even early this morning (And even up here ont he mountain!)

Quoting bhwrn1:

Glad I could help. You know, you can sign up on FoxNews to have alerts sent to your email about school closings. That is what gave me the idea to write this today, I got an alert in my inbox.

Quoting Habibti812:

Proud Momma to the prince and princess (My Syrastinians). VERY proud BF'ing, Co-Sleeping, Baby wearing Anti Spanking, No CIO Momma!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)