Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Jersey Moms New Jersey Moms

What to pay the babysitter? (PIOG)

Posted by   + Show Post

My oldest, 6 y/o, is on vacation from school this week. On Wednesday, we have a babysitter coming, a college student, to take care of him. She will watch him from 6:30am until about 3:30pm. The hardest thing she will have to do for him is get him drinks and lunch! He is very independent and very easy to handle. I have no idea what to pay her. I asked her what she wanted and she told me whatever I thought was good! Anyone have some thoughts on this? 

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on Feb. 15, 2010 at 10:16 AM
Replies (11-13):
bhwrn1
by Brooke on Feb. 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM

Makes sense to pay that much for 4 kids. When my other sitter watches all three, I give her much  more. But we usually just give a lump sum, as opposed to $/hr. It's just how we have always done it.

Quoting reasopolialy:

I love it when Grandma is willing to watch my kids because its so much cheaper lol.  I pay my sitter $12/hr because I have 4 kids... an 8 year old and 3 year old triplets.  My youngest triplet has Cerebral Palsy and is completely dependent on others for everything.  If I only had one kid, I would definitely not be paying someone that much, especially if the child is independent and easy to handle.  My sitters earn the $12 an hour thats for sure... but for 1 kid all day, I would probably pay 9 or 10 an hour.

Quoting chiquis:

Wow all these amounts seem big to me lol. I've NEVER had a sitter though so I wouldn't know. But I think 12 & up an hour is crazy. Esp for one kid! Thats more then min wage haha. My kids are usually watched by grandma and she gets paid in hugs and kisses lol jk. I usually give her food/spending money. Well when she accepts it.

Lilypie

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Feb. 16, 2010 at 8:05 AM

If I sent him to my other kid's daycare (which the lady there said I could do but I feel he is just too old to go there now), I would have to pay $50 for the day. But, this is assuming he has more than one person watching him at a time.

Quoting Missy323:

My aunt watches a little girl 1 day a week.  She is around a year old.  She watches her for 5 - 5.5hrs and gets paid $55.  That is what the mom was paying for daycare at a day care center.  I would think a little less than that per hour since he doesn't need that much care. 

Lilypie

Missy323
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Quoting bhwrn1:

If I sent him to my other kid's daycare (which the lady there said I could do but I feel he is just too old to go there now), I would have to pay $50 for the day. But, this is assuming he has more than one person watching him at a time.

Quoting Missy323:

My aunt watches a little girl 1 day a week.  She is around a year old.  She watches her for 5 - 5.5hrs and gets paid $55.  That is what the mom was paying for daycare at a day care center.  I would think a little less than that per hour since he doesn't need that much care. 

I would think $50-60 would be good for the day.  I babysat a lot during high school and nsg school.  I never really had an hourly amount.  Yes I did it for the money but I really did enjoy spending time with the kids and had fun doing it.  I usually just told the parents that whatever they wanted to pay me was fine.  I only had one family that I babysat for that I told them whatever thay paid me wasn't enough because their kids were horrible.   Shes not changing diapers and preparing bottles.  The daycare center where I registered my son (never used them though) was $9.65 per hour for per diem for infants.  The older the child got the lower it went.  I always said that if I didn't feel they paid me enough I wouldn't go back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN