Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old cursing??? PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:49 PM
  • 8 Replies

My oldest decided that he was f**king mad at me before because I wouldn't let him play on the computer until he cleaned up all his toys... How do you handle a 4 year old cursing. *NOTE* I try not to use foul language around my children, but I live with my mother and siblings and you would swear that I live with a bunch of sailors the way they talk. i've tried telling them not to use those words. My son goes to a catholic daycare and I'm afraid that he'll say that and they'll want to kick him out. (they are very strict)

by on Mar. 6, 2010 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anthonys_mommy1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:20 PM

bump

Mommy2519
by Member on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:21 PM

I also had that problem with my 3 year old...me and so try not to curse but sometimes it does slip...i just told her that the word that she said was a very bad word and only mommys and daddys can say it but we shouldn't...kinda stupid lol "do as i say not as i do" thing...but she did say it a few more times until i started telling her that i would make her lick soap (only a scare thing)  one day she said a bad word and i took the bar of soap out of the bathroom and said come here and lick this! and she said no!(i did not make her lick it) i said if you want to talk dirty out of your mouth i will clean it out with soap...since then she hasnt said another...and if me or so slip she lets us know that we are bad and need to go lick the soap lol...i have a friend who put a small dab of hot sauce on her sons tounge...i wouldnt do that but she said it worked...

Habibti812
by Joni on Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Hmm That is a tough one. I have a four year old as well and my Father while on the phone with business calls tends to let them slip in front of her sometimes- when she was younger she would repeat them. When it first started happening I sat her down and explained to her WHY it was a bad thing to say. It's used to make other people feel bad, etc. It's not a good way to express yourself. I helped her think of OTHER, more age appropriate words to say. Now if she hears a bad word she will say "That is not a nice word to say!!"

Good luck mama!

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:02 PM

My 6 y/o's kindergarten teacher pulled me aside once and told me he said f**king twice in class. She told me that she basically told him it was not a nice word and ignored it otherwise. She told me she didn't want to make a big deal out of it. She didn't want him to go the opposite direction and use it all the time b/c he knew it was forbidden.

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 6, 2010 at 9:03 PM

It's funny b/c DH and I don't curse in front of the kids. But my parents always let it slip and I am sure that is where my 6 y/o picked up the curse word he used last year in kindergarten. If my 6 y/o hears the word "stupid" he tells the person it's a bad word! This is b/c I have always told him it's not a nice word and we do not use it.

Quoting Habibti812:

Hmm That is a tough one. I have a four year old as well and my Father while on the phone with business calls tends to let them slip in front of her sometimes- when she was younger she would repeat them. When it first started happening I sat her down and explained to her WHY it was a bad thing to say. It's used to make other people feel bad, etc. It's not a good way to express yourself. I helped her think of OTHER, more age appropriate words to say. Now if she hears a bad word she will say "That is not a nice word to say!!"

Good luck mama!

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Anthonys_mommy1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM

It's hard to explain things to my son. He has a hard time listening (but than again how many 4 years olds listen to everything mommy says lol)

Habibti812
by Joni on Mar. 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I would try, even if it takes a few reminders of "we dont use that word" should do it.. Or maybe start a swear jar?!

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

It's hard to explain things to my son. He has a hard time listening (but than again how many 4 years olds listen to everything mommy says lol)

Proud Momma to the prince and princess (My Syrastinians). VERY proud BF'ing, Co-Sleeping, Baby wearing Anti Spanking, No CIO Momma!

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM

I agree. And the jar is a great idea. I have had a few friends who have used it.

Quoting Habibti812:

I would try, even if it takes a few reminders of "we dont use that word" should do it.. Or maybe start a swear jar?!

Quoting Anthonys_mommy1:

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)