Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid's Allergy Question

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM
  • 12 Replies

I think C-dog has allergies.  Her nose always runs, she always sneezes, and lately she's been throwing up/gagging at night and I think it must be because of a drip.  Last time I had her checked the Dr basically said she was fine, but I'm still at a loss. Those with kids w/allergies- what  were the symptoms?

A woman should be two things: classy and fabulous.  - Coco Chanel

by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 11:29 AM

For my 3 y/o, who really just developed them this year, it was stuffy nose with runniness, coughing, itchy/watery eyes, rash on his arms and lower back, itchy head, general crankiness, gaging on secretions, swollen eyes and face with lots and lots of redness. I was told by my doctor that seasonal allergies usually don't rear their head until the age of 3, but I am sure that it can happen before that. I took him to the doctor last Thursday b/c it was so bad. I tried Benedryl, it did not touch him. I tried OTC Claritin for 3 days, which did not help. I then bought the OTC Zyrtec, but after one day he had absolutely no relief so I brought him to the doctor. Apparantly both Zyrtec and Claritin take a while to build up in the system, but I think he should have seen at least a little relief, poor guy. So, doc prescribed Allegra orally, Patenol eye drops, and Locoid cream (for the rash that turned out to be eczema, common to seasonal allergies, I guess) plus cool compresses to the eyes. The meds really started kicking in yesterday (he's been on them since Thrusday evening) and he is much better, although still stuffy and runny with some itchiness to the eyes. Doc said that the symptoms won't completely disappear but they should certainly get better. And I kept him indoors on Fri, Sat and most of Sun.

I know the Zyrtec and claritin are not for kids under age 2, so you would have to ask the doc if C could take them.

Good luck!

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:25 PM

BUMP!

TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on Apr. 19, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Sounds like all of mine....no matter how hard I try to keep triggers out , they find a way in!!! Sorry she's suffering!!!

meegs23
by on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Thanks guys.  They told me to give her Zyrtec last time I went to the pedi, but I read way too many scary things online about it changing children's behavior, so I couldn't do it.I rarely take anything and I only give the kiddos stuff if they really need it.  I'm going to call the Dr tomorrow.  She puked up her dinner tonight while sitting in her highchair- it was only pastina and chicken broth.  She behaves normally and has had nothing new. I just don't get it. I hate not knowing what is wrong.  Michael keeps telling me to bring her to the Dr but every time I do, it's not really a help.  It's not a milk allergy as she's been consuming milk products for a long time now, ugh. It's killing me.  I just hope she does okay tonight.

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 5:30 AM

Megan, how is she? Let us know what the doctor says.

oba
by Member on Apr. 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM

May God be with her amen

meegs23
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM

We made it through the night with no puking, but her diaper was BONE dry when she woke up.  I put a call into the Dr and I'm waiting for a call back.  She was a little off behavior wise this morning, but now she's back to herself.  She has peed and has had a Pedialyte and almost 2 sippys of water since 8am.  She's a monkey attached to me.  Her nose is still runny, but no fever and she doesn't seem lethargic at all.  I'll keep you posted.

meegs23
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Thank you

Quoting oba:

May God be with her amen

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Keep her hydrated and give us an update when you can :)

meegs23
by on Apr. 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Of course I missed the call because I had to pick E up from school, so I'm engaged in phone tag.  She's doing well with drinking.  I'm keeping her off milk until at least 24hrs from the last time she got sick.  She drank another pedialyte before nap.  She also had 3 very wet diapers thank goodness.  I gave her some cheerios and chicken broth for lunch. Poor baby is so hungry but I'm just not pushing it.  Her nose is still runny. Ugh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)