• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Frauds

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM
  • 8 Replies

A friend of mine posted this in another group and I was wondering your thoughts:

Food FraudsThey trick and rip you off!

1. Smucker's Simply Fruit

All varieties of Smucker’s Simply Fruit contain more fruit syrup than actual fruit. And the syrup doesn’t even come from the fruit in the products’ names, but from (cheaper) apple, pineapple, or pear juice concentrate.

2. Multigrain Tostitos

A one-ounce (8 chips) serving of Multigrain Tostitos has more sugar (1 gram) than any of its “Four Wholesome Grains.”

3. Kellogg's Special K Fruit &
    Yogurt

The company touts that the "cereal combines the crunch of whole grain goodness, the smooth creaminess of yogurt and the sweet taste of berries….” Yet there is more refined rice than whole grain wheat, no berries (just dyed apple pieces), and no yogurt (just yogurt powder that is usually heat treated, killing any beneficial bacteria) in the cereal.

4. Sara Lee Fruits of the Forest
    Deep Dish Pie

Pie is no health food, but Sara Lee’s looks like an exception. With photos of luscious apples, rhubarb, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries, the pie seems like a virtual cocktail of vitamin-packed fruits, “simmered in their own juices” to cut down on the added sugar. But Fruits of the Forest has more partially hydrogenated oil and sugar than any fruit except apples. The upshot: Each serving (1/9 of a pie) has 340 calories, 4 -1/2 grams of saturated fat, and 4 grams of trans! That’s half a day’s bad fat.

5. Kellogg's Eggo Nutri-Grain
    Pancakes

The box boasts that these pancakes are “Made with Whole Wheat and Whole Grain,” but they consist primarily of white flour.

6. Gerber Graduates for Toddlers
    Juice Treats

The packaging is decorated with pictures of oranges, grapes, cherries, peaches, and pineapples. Yet the leading ingredients are corn syrup and sugar – and the only “fruit” they contain is nutritionally poor white grape juice concentrate. These snacks are more candy than fruit juice!

7. Enviga

Coca-Cola/Nestle claims that their new drink’s combination of caffeine and an antioxidant extracted from green tea will cause people to burn more calories than the drink provides and help them control their weight. In fact, one in five people drinking Enviga burn fewer, not more, calories and long-term studies on the ingredients show no consistent effect on weight.

8. DanActive "Immunity" Dairy
    Drink

This Dannon product claims to help “strengthen your body's defenses.” But the only study Dannon did to see if drinking DanActive kept people from getting sick found that it didn’t!

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Half of these foods I don't buy but no matter what you buy you do have to watch because not everything on the label is in that foods or made from what it says.  But I don't go around reading labels when I'm shopping, I buy what I need and what my family likes.

bhwrn1
by Brooke on May. 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM

What do you mean by this part? Just curious.

Quoting LoriAnn87:

Half of these foods I don't buy but no matter what you buy you do have to watch because not everything on the label is in that foods or made from what it says.  But I don't go around reading labels when I'm shopping, I buy what I need and what my family likes.

Lilypie

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Quoting bhwrn1:

What do you mean by this part? Just curious.

Quoting LoriAnn87:

the stuff you posted I don't buy but you can't always belive what the package tellls you and when I go food shopping I don't check the labels to see if that they say is really in the proudct i buy what my family likes not what the products or package says.

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 26, 2010 at 10:47 AM

You can believe what the ingredients say if you read them. When people are trying to 'sell' something they may fib alittle but its our jobs as parents/people to check the labels to make sure we know what were buying.

bhwrn1
by Brooke on May. 26, 2010 at 11:07 AM

I agree. I think that companies do try to make things sound better than they are. Have you seen the commercials for HFCS? LOL!

Quoting jen113000:

You can believe what the ingredients say if you read them. When people are trying to 'sell' something they may fib alittle but its our jobs as parents/people to check the labels to make sure we know what were buying.

Lilypie

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Yea I have seen them lol. Its advertising.... whether it be food clothes or whatever. They are trying to sell a product and will say what they can say in their guidelines so their not exactly lying but still not 100% telling the truth. Thats why its up to us to read labels and read reviews from other normal people like ourselves to make sure we are getting what were paying for.

Quoting bhwrn1:

I agree. I think that companies do try to make things sound better than they are. Have you seen the commercials for HFCS? LOL!

Quoting jen113000:

jms124
by Jen on May. 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Like everything else in this world...it's all fine in moderation.

kbpegasus
by on May. 26, 2010 at 9:19 PM

One of the things I look for when I s

However, you may now refer to the barcode, remember if the first 3 digits is 690-695 then it is Made in China .

00 ~ 13 USA & CANADA
30 ~ 37 FRANCE
40 ~ 44 GERMANY
49 ~ JAPAN
50 ~ UK
57 ~ Denmark
64 ~ Finland
76 ~ Switzerland and Lienchtenstein
471 is Made in Taiwan (see sample below)
628 ~ Saudi-Arabien
629 ~ United Arab Emirates
740 ~ 745 - Central America

All 480 Codes are Made in the Philippines.

hop is what has been made in the states.  You can tell by the bar code.  I really don't want to get any thing especially from China.  They don't seem to care what they put in their stuff!  Here is the bar code guide.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)