Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you a role model? (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM
  • 5 Replies

Do you think that your kids mimic what they see you doing? How do you make sure it is good? Do you teach them empathy? sympathy? How? Do you think you are a positive role model?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Yes me and my husband are very good role model for Mikey and we always try to watch what we say and do around him because he doesn't mimic a lot of things but he also mimic what he see on tv or what other to do too. But as for empayth and sympathy Mikey is a little to young understand what that is al about.

Habibti812
by Joni on May. 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM

My kids definitely are little "us's" my husbadn and I that is. I try my very best to be the best possible role model for them I can. But i'm certainly not perfect. I think it's importnat for them to see that too. When I mess up, I make srue to point it out. "Mommy shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry, I will do better" Letting them realize it's okay to make mistakes.

As for sympathy and empathy. YES I think it's important for them to learn that along with humanity from a VERY young age. I think it's something you should be modeling from birth, and they will turn out that way from example. never to young to show these things. It's all in how you go about it.

meegs23
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Yes, they definitely do.  I'm not always good- I slip up here and there as does everyone I'm sure.  For example- in the car yesterday E said.  "Is it really necessary for people to slam on their brakes when they see a cop, they need to learn how to drive."  Yeah- mommy's road rage repeated back to me via the 3y/o watching Annie in the backseat.  

I try the best I can to be a good role model!

bhwrn1
by Brooke on May. 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

ITA. I don't think it's every too early to teach them things. Kids really do understand much more than we give them credit for much of the time. When A was little and I wanted to teach him a lesson, I would explain it to him. It didn't matter that he was so young, if I kept doing it, he would grow up with it and then it would be ingrained in him. Same with B and we will do this with C, as well. I already explain things to C and he's only 11 months old.

Quoting Habibti812:

My kids definitely are little "us's" my husbadn and I that is. I try my very best to be the best possible role model for them I can. But i'm certainly not perfect. I think it's importnat for them to see that too. When I mess up, I make srue to point it out. "Mommy shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry, I will do better" Letting them realize it's okay to make mistakes.

As for sympathy and empathy. YES I think it's important for them to learn that along with humanity from a VERY young age. I think it's something you should be modeling from birth, and they will turn out that way from example. never to young to show these things. It's all in how you go about it.

Lilypie

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

bhwrn1
by Brooke on May. 26, 2010 at 2:11 PM

LOL! That is too funny! I bet you had to stifle your laughter!

Quoting meegs23:

Yes, they definitely do.  I'm not always good- I slip up here and there as does everyone I'm sure.  For example- in the car yesterday E said.  "Is it really necessary for people to slam on their brakes when they see a cop, they need to learn how to drive."  Yeah- mommy's road rage repeated back to me via the 3y/o watching Annie in the backseat.  

I try the best I can to be a good role model!

Lilypie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)