• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids in restaurants

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM
  • 12 Replies

How do you get your children to behave in restaurants?

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

by on May. 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Habibti812
by Joni on May. 26, 2010 at 12:19 PM

We usually have a discussion before we go in what we expect of them. We also try to go places with crayons and things. lol

suzgerm
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM

I don't, LOL.  It is luck of the draw for me!!!  Can't wait to hear suggestions.

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I always bring some snacks... nothing to filling ofcourse... and crayons are a must! I always ask them to bring out the kids food as soon as its ready also!

bhwrn1
by Brooke on May. 26, 2010 at 12:32 PM

My only problem with this is then they finish before us and we have to entertain them while trying to eat!

Quoting jen113000:

I always bring some snacks... nothing to filling ofcourse... and crayons are a must! I always ask them to bring out the kids food as soon as its ready also!

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

jen113000
by Jenna on May. 26, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Lol I don't have that problem b/c Ryan my 4 year old takes his time... Its sometimes really hard to get him finish a meal... but since I bring snacks too I can give them after the meal so I wouldn't have to entertain... Kyle LOVES to eat lol so usually I will give him some of mine too so he is entertained. Doesn't always work with them but we rarely go out to eat!

Quoting bhwrn1:

My only problem with this is then they finish before us and we have to entertain them while trying to eat!

Quoting jen113000:

LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Mikey always behaves when we go out to eat. We bring his trains, crayons and paper for him to color. He also plays with the sugar packages and fork while waiting for his food.

meegs23
by on May. 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I brought both of them to restaurants as soon as they were able to leave the house. I wanted them to learn how to behave from the beginning.  In 3.5 years I have never had to leave a restaurant.  To pat my own back- I usually have people come up to me and compliment me on my kids every time we eat out!  I always have snacks, E likes to play games on my iTouch (but only when she gets antsy.) I let her pick out what she wants to eat and drink.  Claire is just happy to be shoving food in her mouth.  My kids eat out in restaurants around 4-5 times per week.  Although at PF Changs yesterday, E did start singing God Bless America. She wasn't too loud, but the tables around us clapped for her lol!!

jms124
by Jen on May. 26, 2010 at 1:16 PM

We started taking the kids out from day 1.  We usually get compliments on how good they are.

When people ask us how we get them to behave we look at the person with a straight face and tell them "taser" or "cattle prod" :0)  Then we start laughing.

I let the kids pick 2 toys to take with them.  Things like Thomas trains, matchbox cars, ponys...they keep them occupied.

Mine are still young and take their time eating so we ask for their food to come out as soon as it's done.  That way it can cool before we get our food.

We also usually order an appetizer so they have something to pick at.

finallymomof3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:27 PM

I give them a warning if not well behave that it will be a month or more that they will enjoy a treat of eating out it usually works... but i also say the bathroom is mommy best friend lol that works wonders

finallymomof3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Quoting meegs23:

I brought both of them to restaurants as soon as they were able to leave the house. I wanted them to learn how to behave from the beginning.  In 3.5 years I have never had to leave a restaurant.  To pat my own back- I usually have people come up to me and compliment me on my kids every time we eat out!  I always have snacks, E likes to play games on my iTouch (but only when she gets antsy.) I let her pick out what she wants to eat and drink.  Claire is just happy to be shoving food in her mouth.  My kids eat out in restaurants around 4-5 times per week.  Although at PF Changs yesterday, E did start singing God Bless America. She wasn't too loud, but the tables around us clapped for her lol!!

I did the same with my three but my 20month old has pick up bad habits thats makin dining out a nightmare but she is getting better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)