Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NEW!! HOT TOPIC OF THE WEEK (2/9 - 2/15)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:21 AM
  • 22 Replies

We thought we would try a new weekly post devoted to a single hot topic open for discussion.  So please express your opinions, debate, talk it out - but please be respectful of others and don't bash.  Most of all, enjoy it!  Here we go!

Ohio mom Kelly Williams Bolar was recently sentenced to 10 days in jail for falsifying her residency to send her children to a better school district.  Was the sentence too harsh?  Was she justified in her actions?  The complete story can be found here.  http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654

Ok ladies, lets here what you have to say!!

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceciliam
by Lynn on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:23 AM

I definitely think the sentence was too harsh. They could have made her pay a fine instead. Jail time should be reserved for the real criminals.

Habibti812
by Joni on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:28 AM

I do think it's harsh and agree with Lynn that jail should be reserved for real criminals. She was trying to do what was best for her kids, and as a Mom I "get" that. Yes, it was wrong, and illegal and there has to be some consequence. But a fine would have been suffice. It's sad that mothers feel the need to do this. If all school districts were GOOD it wouldnt' be an issue. I think THAT'S the bigger issue that needs to be looked at!

KatieBellsMom
by Tracy on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Quoting ceciliam:

I definitely think the sentence was too harsh. They could have made her pay a fine instead. Jail time should be reserved for the real criminals.

This

akgraff
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:58 AM

totally agree!

Quoting Habibti812:

I do think it's harsh and agree with Lynn that jail should be reserved for real criminals. She was trying to do what was best for her kids, and as a Mom I "get" that. Yes, it was wrong, and illegal and there has to be some consequence. But a fine would have been suffice. It's sad that mothers feel the need to do this. If all school districts were GOOD it wouldnt' be an issue. I think THAT'S the bigger issue that needs to be looked at!

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM

I am not sure I agree with the jail time. I do think she should have to pay a penalty, tho. The people of that district pay (out of their taxes) for their kids to go to school there. I don't think it's right that she lied about it. Plus, what does that say to her kids. In most cases, you can apply for your kids to go to school out of district and try to get them into a better school if you feel yours are not good. She should have to pay what it would have cost her to do this in the first place, maybe with some intrest.

jerzeetomato
by Melissa on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM

c'mon ladies, keep it coming.  I like to hear your thoughts!!

jerzeetomato
by Melissa on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:31 AM

I can see both sides, but I think 10 days in jail was harsh and unnecessary.  Certainly she should have to make some reimbursement to the school district that did not receive tax money for educating her children.  And maybe some community service to the district her children should have gone to. 

I get wanting better for your kids.  But she could have done things differently.  Why not move in with her dad so her kids could attend that school?  Then she would have had legal residency.  But I think she was getting low-rent subsidy where she lived and did no want to give that up.  My school district is not the best, but I have chosen to work at improving my district instead of side stepping it.

HTMommy
by Crystal on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I know here in jersey you can petition and pay for your child to go to a better school. I know of a number of people that do it actually. But it all depends on the area, transportation, location, and class size. I'm sorry but as I do agree with schools giving this option its also not fair to the students OR teachers to be crammed into a class with 35 kids when it only meant for 25 or a teacher having to teach 35 kids and try and give everyone the attention they need and deserve.
As with this case I know the question was also brought up over the black vs white thing bc wasn't the school predominantly white and she is black or something?

Quoting bhwrn1:

I am not sure I agree with the jail time. I do think she should have to pay a penalty, tho. The people of that district pay (out of their taxes) for their kids to go to school there. I don't think it's right that she lied about it. Plus, what does that say to her kids. In most cases, you can apply for your kids to go to school out of district and try to get them into a better school if you feel yours are not good. She should have to pay what it would have cost her to do this in the first place, maybe with some intrest.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by Melissa on Feb. 9, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Crystal, I've been waiting for you to chime in!

Yes, race did become an issue, or at least her supporters are trying to make it so, saying that if she were white and did this no on would have pressed charges.

jen113000
by Jenna on Feb. 9, 2011 at 10:05 AM

I don't think she should of went to jail. A fine would of been enough I think. Many parents do this, just she got caught. My Mom did it. Not for us to go to a better school but b/c she made us move to a different town , but I wanted to finish 6th grade at my school so we lied until the end of the school year and then 7th grade I went to my new school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)