Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do kids have the right to.....

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

Fight bullies back? Should both kids be in trouble in those instances? Where does one draw the line?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rychelle
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM

well im just going to say whats right in my mind and my family.. My boys are taught to walk away.. that fighting isnt the way to solve things.. BUT if they are in a situation where they need to defend themselves.. do it!! They might be in trouble with the school and thats fine if its their rules, but they will not be in trouble at home.

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I agree with you. As long as they don't start the fight... I want my boys to defend themselves if they have no other way.

Quoting Rychelle:

well im just going to say whats right in my mind and my family.. My boys are taught to walk away.. that fighting isnt the way to solve things.. BUT if they are in a situation where they need to defend themselves.. do it!! They might be in trouble with the school and thats fine if its their rules, but they will not be in trouble at home.

Rychelle
by Platinum Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:30 AM

ill just add.. i believe defending yourself is restraining or using just enough force to get a person off/away from you so you can get away.. not beat the person bloody cuz they hit you first.. i think everyone has the right to defend themselves within reasonable means. So even if a woman is attacking a man, he has the right to defend himself to restrainher and get a chance to get away. not pummel her if hes obviously bigger/stronger.. same goes for kids.. you defend to protect yourself and get away.

ceciliam
by Lynn on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I agree with you, Rychelle!

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Yes good point again.. I think I got what you meant by defending lol b/c thats how I viewed it. The only problem with that is everyone may look guilty to whoever breaks up the fight...

Quoting Rychelle:

ill just add.. i believe defending yourself is restraining or using just enough force to get a person off/away from you so you can get away.. not beat the person bloody cuz they hit you first.. i think everyone has the right to defend themselves within reasonable means. So even if a woman is attacking a man, he has the right to defend himself to restrainher and get a chance to get away. not pummel her if hes obviously bigger/stronger.. same goes for kids.. you defend to protect yourself and get away.

jerzeetomato
by Melissa on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:02 PM

same here - defend yourself if you have to but don't ever pick a fight or be mean/bully someone.  And I hate the one size fits all approach in school, especially when it is clear that one person was doing all the fighting and the other person just had no choice.

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 28, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I have to agree with what you ladies say. We teach the boys that it's not right to bully someone. But if they need to defend themselves, then they should do it.

FabDarling
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM

what i have tried to teach my two daughters is this

VIOLENCE IN THE TOOL OF THE IGNORANT

stay as far away from the drama and fighting as possible.....if someone gives you a push or a little hit (that isn't substantial)....don't fuel anything......tell them to stop and walk away from it.  Takes away a lot of a bullies power if you're not responsive or running scared......just bored with it and moving on.

on the other hand.....if there is an actual confrontation brought to you and you can't get away  from it....if no matter what you try someone staarts hitting you. a lot.  you defend yourself.

know i know the teachers/schools punish both kid the same (i dissagree but that's they way they do it)....but if that is the case - my daughter(s) will have to take the punishment the school doles out........but there will be no trouble at home here......heck i'll take her out for ice cream!

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Reminds me of a story when I was little... my brother was bullied from this one kid... inside and outside of the school...... the kid finally got my brother alone in school and sucker punched him... and kept hitting him. My brother defended himself ofcourse and when teacher saw it looked like both were fighting.... So they both got introuble ( oh and by the way my Mom was at the school atleast once and talked to the principal on the phone a few times about this kid messing with my brother)... so anyways my Mom gets the call and comes to get my brother... they tell her he is suspended for X amount of days... well my Mom flips out but then says ya know what... Steve what do you wanna do... wanna go shopping??? How about lunch?? LOL that really pissed off the principal LOL

Toysbaby
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I agree with you as well.As long as you did not start the fight... It is ok to defend yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)