Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Denies boys dying wish....

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM
  • 12 Replies

Usually cooks are only surly in the kitchen, but Ina Garten is showing a mean-streak beyond the pots and pans. Known to most of us as the Barefoot Contessa, she's a Food Network staple and go-to chef for elegant and easy recipes. She seems friendly, warm, and outgoing on her show, which is why we're left scratching our heads over the breaking news that she's turned down a chance to make a terminally ill boy's wish come true.

Enzo is a 6-year-old sweetheart suffering with acute lymphoblastic leukemia who happens to love cooking and the Barefoot Contessa. He reached out to the celebrity chef through the Make-A-Wish foundation, requesting an opportunity to cook with her. This is where I get upset: Garten turned him down. And when Make-A-Wish asked again with their "pretty-please" voice, she gave another definitive "no."

What gives?

Enzo has moved on and chosen another wish (to swim with dolphins), but we haven't. We understand a crazy schedule as much as the next person, but stopping to help others, especially little boys with cancer, seems like a no-brainer to us. We want Enzo to meet the Barefoot Contessa, and we want her to show us the softer side we know she has in her.

We'll even give the Contessa the benefit of the doubt here and say maybe it's just all one big misunderstanding. Maybe something got lost in translation, maybe she didn't know what she was saying "no" to.

So we've decided to start a letter writing campaign to get the Barefoot Contessa to reconsider and grant Enzo's wish after all!

If you agree with us, please copy and paste the letter below, sign it, and send it to Ina's assistant at Sinead@BarefootContessa.com or you can opt for the Contessa's snail mail address: Ina Garten, Barefoot Contessa, 46 Newtown Lane, East Hampton, NY 11937

And here's the letter:

Dear Ina Garten, a.k.a. the Barefoot Contessa,

I am petitioning for the reversal of a decision you made regarding 6-year-old Enzo. You said that you would not grant him his Make-A-Wish dream to cook with you, and I'd like you to reconsider.

I'm sure you're very busy. Your pot is probably boiling over with requests but I see this as a great opportunity to take pause, to take some irons out of the fire, to fry less fish, and to help a boy live his dream. It's not a surprise he fell in love with you -- we all love your show! I just want to see you show some love back to him.

I implore you to change your mind and cook with Enzo, granting him his wish.

Many thanks for your consideration.

[Here's where you sign your name]

Note: This small gesture on our part could potentially mean so much to Enzo! But shhh ... let's not tell Enzo -- because we would hate for him to be disappointed again!

Will you send this letter along? And share this post so others do the same?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM

What? She said no? WTH? WHY??? That's ridiculous. Honestly, to disappoint a 6 y/o child's wish? If I were the parents, I would not want this letter passed on to be quite honest. If she can flatly say no, I wouldn't want my child to meet her.

ceciliam
by Lynn on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I will do it!

Habibti812
by Joni on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

I read this on the Stir too! I totally sent the email. How lame of her. There is NO reason to say no to something like that!

ceciliam
by Lynn on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM

You know, Ina cooks up some awesome food and I have used many of her recipes but as a person, I find her to be quite annoying.

jen113000
by Jenna on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM

I understand people have busy lives... but it was his dying wish... how could you say no to that...

ceciliam
by Lynn on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM

You have a good point, Brooke!

Quoting bhwrn1:

What? She said no? WTH? WHY??? That's ridiculous. Honestly, to disappoint a 6 y/o child's wish? If I were the parents, I would not want this letter passed on to be quite honest. If she can flatly say no, I wouldn't want my child to meet her.

LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:52 AM

that is really wrong of her to do this to a dying boy.

ceciliam
by Lynn on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:20 AM

Ina Garten Caught In Make-a-Wish Controversy

Mar 28, 2011, 15:51 by Greg Stacy

Ina Garten, the Food Network star known as "The Barefoot Contessa," has been at the center of controversy following reports she twice refused to meet a young fan with cancer.

Garten was widely condemned when news of the alleged snub broke online. But according to one of her spokespeople, it was only this weekend that Garten learned that a young boy named Enzo had a long-standing request to meet her through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. The spokesperson said that Garten receives about 100 requests per month, and she hadn't been made aware of this particular request.

Garten reportedly called Enzo today and invited him to join her at the Food Network studios.

Garten's spokespeople released a statement commenting on the incident.

"(Garten) contributes both personally and financially on a regular basis to numerous causes, including to Make-A-Wish Foundation," the statement read. "Sadly, it's of course not possible to do them all. Throughout her life, Ina has contributed generously to all kinds of important efforts and she will continue to do so."

Enzo would watch Garten from his sick bed, and his family twice asked for a meeting with her through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Following the second request, Garten's representatives gave the family a "definite no" and the boy's family wrote about the rejection on their blog. The story was later picked up by TMZ and soon became a major scandal for Garten.

But even during the worst of the controversy, Enzo's family wrote that they didn't want to cause Garten trouble.

"I had written about our disappointment when we originally found out, but asked everyone in the spirit of Enzo to please just 'let it go' and move forward... I want to make it VERY CLEAR we have NO ANGER OR ILL WILL toward Ina Garten... Enzo found great comfort in watching her cook when he was going through his toughest times and for that we are so grateful."

Garten has been "personally devastated" by all the criticism, a source told the LA Times.

http://onlinejournal.com/artman/publish/article_7489.shtml

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Hmmm...quite curious that she has now agreed after all the bad publicity, don't you think? Who did the Make a Wish Foundation talk to then that they thought she said "no"?

ceciliam
by Lynn on Mar. 29, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Yeah, I think she is full of it.

Quoting bhwrn1:

Hmmm...quite curious that she has now agreed after all the bad publicity, don't you think? Who did the Make a Wish Foundation talk to then that they thought she said "no"?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)