Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Special Needs Advice

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

We have two boys.  Our younger son, who is 3, is in our local district's special needs 1/2 day program.  He is rubbing his face raw under his nose and around his mouth at school (has eczema).  He rarely does it at home anymore, but is having a lot of trouble at school.  We've been working with his teacher, but we've had little luck (been in school since January).  There is an aide on the bus, but they weren't watching him on the way home, and he had really torn up his skin to the point that it almost made me cry to see him that way.  We have investigated another school (send out school) that seems like a good fit for him.  It's a full inclusive day, and he would have a special ed teacher to himself all day.  We have an IEP meeting this week to ask for a transfer.  We've given the district an honest try, but at this point, it's affecting his physical well-being, which is our first priority.  Has anyone else gone through this process?  I would really appreciate any advice you may have.  We live in South Jersey.

Thank you so much!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TheJerseyGirl
by Michele on May. 22, 2011 at 7:31 AM

He is being classified special needs from the eczema? I have no experience with that so I'm wondering if the school will willingly pay for him to be transferred ? why can;t he stay at the school he's oin but with a 1:1 aide? He obviously needs one to watch over him and I think the school will easily go for that as opposed to sending him out of district.

It also depends where you are..I'm in south Jersey but my district is small and not funded the way other larger ones are...that makes a big difference as to what is available to him as far as services. In some, it is far easier to obtain the 1:1 aide...

Let me know which county you are in and I might be able to put more of my 2 cents in...lol

bergencounty
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

Is his eczema treatment handled by his pediatrician or allergist? Is the medication your son is on effective enough? I would get an opinion from the doctors, they could also provide you with a doctor's note to the school for the 1:1 aide. You need to discuss this with the Board of Education if you are not happy with the care you are getting from the Special Education department, Don't forget to take pictures of the condition your child arrived home in.

Since your child is in preschool, if you prefer a full day care program rather than a part-time program, then switch him.

LoriAnn87
by Emerald Member on May. 22, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Sorry you having this problem with the school and the district but I have never epxerince this problem with my son. My son goes to special ed preschool for his speech, he goes 5 days a week for 2 hours. They school and district have been so wonderfull to us and our son. Where in South Jersey do you live and what school does he go too?

gabe06tara07
by Stephanie on May. 22, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I am not sure about this, I work in a special education school... but we are the school that districts send their kids that they cannot accommodate to.  I do know from what parents have said it is a very difficult process to get their kids into our school, but each school is different.

HTMommy
by Crystal on May. 22, 2011 at 12:14 PM
Good luck in whatever road you have to take.
Is the eczema anywhere else on his body? Or just under his nose? It sounds more like a nervous habit like an ocd or anxiety thing to constantly be bothering that area and such a sensitive area of the body at that.
Skin issues like eczema and psoriasis aren't usually that localized so that's why I ask. Good luck momma
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jerzeetomato
by Melissa on May. 23, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Some more info would be helpful.  I also live in SJ and have some insight as to the process of out of district placement, based upon my involvement in my own district.  Where are you from?  Is he having anxiety in school that's causing him to rub at his skin (like Crystal said a nervous tic or OCD reaction to the stress?).  I hope your meeting goes well this week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)